Ardenne Extravaganza!

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited April 2012 in Pro race
OK, cobbles and pave now done, onto the hilly ones. So what's gonna happen? Are we going to see another domination like last year? If so, by who? Just can't see Gilbert winning anything, wonder if he's saving everything for the Worlds, maybe Valverde is going to be the big winner this year.

Any significant course changes this year, isn't Amstel a bit different?

And anyone going to see any of them?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Amstel - the run into the Cauberg has been shortened.

Should be interesting. Not sure who's on top. Braabant will help us know what's what.
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    I would like to see Samuel Sanchez win one of them.
    I expect Cunego, Evans, Valverde and Rodriguez to be amongst the contenders.
    Is Gilbert anywhere near his form of last year yet?

Won't be at any of them as I went to Flanders this year.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I've been wondering about Gilbert's form myself. What is going on? He dominated last year, but this year he seems to be a shadow of that rider. Bizarre...
  • zippypablo wrote:
    I would like to see Samuel Sanchez win one of them.

Yeah, I'd like to see him win one as well. If for no other reason than his birthday is on the same day as mine. :D
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I've been wondering about Gilbert's form myself. What is going on? He dominated last year, but this year he seems to be a shadow of that rider. Bizarre...

Teeth trouble. Not the first rider who's had part of their season ruined by their nashers.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Whilst I like Gilbert i'd be quite happy if he's not at the same level as last year as it gives us a chance of seeing may ten guys who are all capable of winning any of the Ardenne classics..Valverde, Sanchez, Rodriguez and Evans and Gerrans have all had some good early season form and then you have Cunego, Gilbert and the Schlecks who haven't shown anything yet but could well come good. Could be far more open and dare I say it more interesting racing than we saw on the cobbles if they all think they have a shot.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    Agreed
  • inkyfingers
    Agreed

You do realise that we've just cursed it now don't you!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    Agreed

You do realise that we've just cursed it now don't you!

All I know is that it's a PTP bloody nightmare.
  • All I know is that it's a PTP bloody nightmare.

You do know your supposed to be enjoying watching these races?
  • rick_chasey
    All I know is that it's a PTP bloody nightmare.

You do know your supposed to be enjoying watching these races?

:shock:

What?
  • rick_chasey
    It's normally around this time people get all dope-chat happy - usually when the glance at the previous winners list of Ardenne races (especially LBL)
  • inkyfingers
    It's normally around this time people get all dope-chat happy - usually when the glance at the previous winners list of Ardenne races (especially LBL)

Looking at my twitter feed this week I think the dope chat has already begun...
  • :shock:

What?

Oh yeah sorry. What was I thinking? If riding a bike isn't supposed to be fun, then watching cycling racing certainly shouldn't be!
  • rick_chasey

Looking at my twitter feed this week I think the dope chat has already begun...
    Bing.

Go.

People seem to think if you weigh over 80kilos and can't go uphill well then you never dope.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    OK, cobbles and pave now done, onto the hilly ones. So what's gonna happen? Are we going to see another domination like last year? If so, by who? Just can't see Gilbert winning anything, wonder if he's saving everything for the Worlds, maybe Valverde is going to be the big winner this year.

Any significant course changes this year, isn't Amstel a bit different?

And anyone going to see any of them?

I will be at Amstel. Got a pass to the finish grandstand, I hope. :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • pottssteve wrote:

Cool! Are you going to get out and about on the course or just stay at the finish in the grandstand and drink, err, Amstel?
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve wrote:

Cool! Are you going to get out and about on the course or just stay at the finish in the grandstand and drink, err, Amstel?

I have a press pass as I write for a website. This gets me a coffee and slice of vlaai at the start and access to the restricted area at the start podium. I'll then cycle back to my house and wait for them to do the first loop back into Maastricht. They go past the end of my road so I'll watch them there. I then ride out to Berg and Terblijt and wait for the second round (there's a nice bar at the top of the Geulemmerberg that's good for photos) before riding on to the finish in Valkenburg. It's a grand day out! :lol:

If anyone's around and wants to meet up for a beer or needs directions, just let me know.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • pottssteve
  • Katusha and Movistar squads for Amstel.
    Katusha squad for Amstel Gold Race: Xavier Florencio, Oscar Freire, Alberto Losada, Daniel Moreno, Luca Paolini, Joaquim Rodriguez, Alberto Vicioso, Eduard Vorganov

Movistar squad for Amstel Gold Race: Alejandro Valverde, Giovanni Visconti, Jose Joaquin Rojas, Ángel Madrazo, Pablo Lastras, Imanol Erviti, Rui Costa and Vasil Kiryienka

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rodrigu ... -gold-race
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I think Sagan may be riding all three. Pretty heavyweight for a Grand Tour contender.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I think Sagan may be riding all three. Pretty heavyweight for a Grand Tour contender.

Sagan is a Grand Tour contender?
  • frenchfighter
    **Nibali
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    If anyone has video from this I'd be interested to watch.

rbx12-visco.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Radioshack squad for Amstel.
    RadioShack-Nissan’s Amstel Gold Race team: Jan Bakelants, Laurent Didier, Ben Hermans, Chris Horner, Maxime Monfort, Joost Posthuma, Andy Schleck & Fränk Schleck

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/radiosh ... race-squad
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    After Voeckler, Hoogerland/Westra, Gasparotto, Albasini, Nibali, Kiryienka and Gilbert (he needs to put on a show but knows he can't compete with the favourites this year) all try their luck for a long one in a break in the last 15km, there's a 7-way photo-finish with Chavanel, Evans, Sagan, Henao, Sanchez, J-Rod and, the winner by needle's width... blooming Valbleedingverde.

If all that doesn't happen, I'll be very surprised.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    ...there's a 7-way photo-finish with Chavanel, Evans, Sagan, Henao, Sanchez, J-Rod and, the winner by needle's width...

7 way! Is the road that wide?
  • pottssteve
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    ...there's a 7-way photo-finish with Chavanel, Evans, Sagan, Henao, Sanchez, J-Rod and, the winner by needle's width...

7 way! Is the road that wide?

No - at least 2 of them would have to be in mid-air for this to happen!
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    pottssteve wrote:
    No - at least 2 of them would have to be in mid-air for this to happen!

Like Laurel and Hardy trying to get through the door at the same time...
    Yeah, sorry about that.

But do you get that thing when you go to name your favourite and whole mini-peloton of possibles crop up? Like a kid being asked what they most want for Christmas...

Amstel is a bit like that this year - as someone said elsewhere, its a "PTP nightmare". On their day, at their absolute peak I'd give this to J-Rod, Valverde or Phil (with Sanchez a close 4th). But this year: I reckon Chav has got some fire raging and plenty of unspent fuel; Sagan's the new kid wanting to play with the bigger boys.. and Henao's in there for patriotic reasons (he's a sort of Colombianish Brit, isn't he? Like Froome's a Kenyany Brit...).
    Evans, the wily old fox, has discovered the best way for him to win on a finish like this: don't shoot your bolt too soon (see Flèche Wal 2010) - stay in the shadows on the steep bit, save what you can ...then open up.