10kg hard tail for £1000

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    njee20 wrote:
    Apollo are a massive brand, they outsell Trek/Spesh/Giant/Scott etc, but their bikes do not retain their value, primarily because they're crap.
    completely off topic, but are you on drugs :shock:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    completely off topic, but are you on drugs

No I'm really not, check the BikeBiz stats for bike sales. Reading them some years ago Universal (which included Apollo IIRC) outsold every single 'major' brand as we think of them combined.

£100 bikes sell by the bucket load! In fact, in 2010 only 14% of adult bikes in the US were sold from bike shops...
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    njee20 wrote:

No I'm really not, check the BikeBiz stats for bike sales. Reading them some years ago Universal (which included Apollo IIRC) outsold every single 'major' brand as we think of them combined.

£100 bikes sell by the bucket load! In fact, in 2010 only 14% of adult bikes in the US were sold from bike shops...
    I can definately believe that
  • chez_m356
    njee20 wrote:

now thats something you just don't think about, then again, i wonder who is the biggest producer in mainland china, have seen quite a few bikes on the road there, they must sell a few each year
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    chez_m356 wrote:
    now thats something you just don't think about, then again, i wonder who is the biggest producer in mainland china, have seen quite a few bikes on the road there, they must sell a few each year
    Isn't it Merida? Who also actually build bikes for most of the "big" brands?
  • njee20
    Consider that Argos stocks more bikes than any bike shop I've seen and it makes more sense!

I assume he means shopping type bikes actually in China, BSOs rather than 'proper' bikes. I know of someone who came across a shop in China selling bikes for £6, with a 2 hour warranty!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    njee20 wrote:
    Consider that Argos stocks more bikes than any bike shop I've seen and it makes more sense!

I assume he means shopping type bikes actually in China, BSOs rather than 'proper' bikes. I know of someone who came across a shop in China selling bikes for £6, with a 2 hour warranty!
    Yeah, I know. I'm sure they're Merida-made as well.
  • njee20
    Naaaaaaaaaaah, for a start they'll not be Taiwanese made, they'll be made by some horrendous 'stack em high, sell em (obscenely) cheap' enterprise. Or thousands of them.
  • chez_m356
    edited April 2012
    njee20 wrote:

Yeah, I know. I'm sure they're Merida-made as well.
    Tiajin fushida bicycle company ltd, apparently produced 42 millions bikes in 09, 20 million own brand, 12 million exported as other brands,dont know about lately, and the last time i was in china, though it was 2 years ago, the latest craze amongst the youths was for trial bikes
  • Slow Loris
    Slow Loris Posts: 128
    Of course certain brand names retain their value and depreciate less than other brands, it's purely based on desirability.

If you know a lot about bikes you are less likely to pay over the odds just for a frame sticker, but there are so many people out there that will pay more, and that's why people such as those on here that know about bikes can benefit from this or avoid paying more than necessary.

If 200 people all bid for a Specialized bike on ebay because they've heard of it, while only 2 people bid on a more niche brand that had a similar RRP which do you think will end up selling for more? It is basic economics, and the OP is not being stupid.
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • YeehaaMcgee
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Tiajin fushida bicycle company ltd, apparently produced 42 millions bikes in 09, 20 million own brand, 12 million exported as other brands,dont know about lately, and the last time i was in china, though it was 2 years ago, the latest craze amongst the youths was for trial bikes
    Ah! Fair enough then.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    its irrelevant of application whether it be a bike, car, watch... I'm simply arguing my point regarding buying a bigger, more commonly respected brand!

You are forgetting one huge point - the brand of bike, ie the sticker on the frame is one part out of many. So a 1k bike from a top brand with lowly spec vs a 1k bike from a budget brand with a great spec: often the latter WILL hold its value more second hand because the people buying look deeper into it.

But it depends on many factors, you can't simply say it is irrelevant.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    rugnugdo wrote:
    I'm simply arguing my point

on the internet :lol: enough said :lol:
  • rugnugdo
    rugnugdo Posts: 68
    Back to post origin... Is there anything I could buy that would better this deal?

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s2p3222

Scott Scale 40 2011???

Not much on here regarding this bike?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Really nice bike, very XC orientated, can't remember what usage profile you gave us.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    At 10Kg it's never going to be anything except xc bike.
    Why have you set the target as that weight, anyhow?
  • njee20
    Yep you'll not go wrong, although I'd look at a Whippet if you're upping your budget, at least gets you a carbon frame for the same money.
  • rugnugdo
    my usage... live on the Isle of Wight... not sure what the lingo is for certain types of riding but essentially... bridal/railway trails, going up the downs & moors and back down them!

I've not necessarily set in stone 10kg but been advised by work colleague lighter bikes tend to be better in the climb and its pretty hilly down here!!!
  • rugnugdo
    helpful bunch aren't you...
  • bennett_346
    For that sort of riding you should think about rigid forks, you might just break the 10kg barrier with a rigid hybrid type thing.
  • rugnugdo
    some of the descents are pretty hairy... shake the shit out of me on my Trek 4500 at the moment, I wouldn't want to go rigid fork!
  • njee20
    Don't get hung up on weight. Yes a lighter bike will climb better. Buy a bike you like and then upgrade to lighter parts as and when.

No manufacturers seek to make heavy bikes, so to be honest there's not a vast amount in it. Try some bikes and buy what you like. Canyon, On One, Boardman and Cube are all excellent value. DO NOT get hung up on brand names and resale value, trust the people that know about bikes it doesn't affect things, and an equivalent Spesh/Trek/Giant/Scott will not be worth more in a few years. It really won't.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Don't get hung up on weight.

Coming from you, ha! ;-)
  • njee20
    I don't have a strict budget :-)

I've also just bought a 2.25" Ron and a 2.2" S-Works Captain tyre. I'm on the slide I tells ya!
  • rugnugdo
    Weighed my Trek 4500.... 15.4kg with few little bits on, anyone who ever picks it up comments on its weight, that's probably why I want light.

What factors other than weight contribute towards a bike being better on the climbs? apart from me!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    rugnugdo wrote:
    What factors other than weight contribute towards a bike being better on the climbs? apart from me!
    Rider is the single most important factor. Unless you're fit, then any other improvements will be pointless.
    However, the biggest difference you can make to the bike is lighter and/or narrower tyres, followed by lighter wheelrims.

I wouldn't worry about it though, since the highest point on the whole island is some 240 meters. For climbs like that, the bike won't make much of a difference - fitness will be the single biggest improvement.
  • njee20

Rigid forks would be better, but you're not prepared to do that because of performance on the descents. This compromise is characteristic of mountain biking.

A lighter bike will climb better, but as said, getting fitter will make an even bigger difference.
  • bennett_346
    12Kg is still light for an mtb that is being ridden on technical descents, much lighter and they get flighty and flexy until you spend serious money. Just get fitter and MTFU.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I wouldn't worry about it though, since the highest point on the whole island is some 240 meters. For climbs like that, the bike won't make much of a difference - fitness will be the single biggest improvement.

This. My 12.6kg Rockhopper is fine for big climbs all season in the Alps and I'd say I'm of average fitness for my weight/age etc. Also - a bit more of a 'robust' bike should be more fun on the descents too :wink:

Saying that..this looks like a good deal and only 10.9kg (quoted)

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2540
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8