Most overrated song of all time

13»

Comments

• timb64
    timb64 Posts: 248
    Angels by Robbie Williams(in fact anything by the blobster)
    Beautiful by James Blunt(sounds like the pub landlord's dog on heat)
    Mull of Kintyre(enough said.......)
    Sailing by Rod Stewart(ditto)
    this could be a very long list.......
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Clocks.

The most banal, irritating paino riff that has ever graced the earth. That the song then indulges it like it's the deepest most complex, subtle riff ever conceived only worsens the pain.

Terrible drumming. Utterly basic, devoid of any balls or substance.

Also, the behaviour of the band and the inevitable crowd when this song is being played is like it's some hard hitting head banging smasher. It's actually some limp-wristed colour by numbers piece of p!ss that appeals to the lowest common denominator, disguised as a record with class.

And the artist is....?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    mfin wrote:
    Layla - Eric Clapton

1. Because its supposedly a guitar classic, whereas in fact, its sh1t.
    2. Because that 7 note riff is the iconic bit, but it ends there.
    3. Because the lyrics are, again, sh1t.
    4. Because the verse chords are 'first thing that would pop into your head' predictable rubbish.
    5. Because the Chorus is appalling.
    6. Because all the vocal melodies are dire.
    7. Because the piano ending is a pathetic attempt to sound meaningful, just welded onto the end as a whole new bit that doesn't fit the song.
    8. Because the vocals are crap.
    9. Because, even though the original was sh1t, he then goes and releases an 'oh so clever' acoustic version, which is even worse as this time, its supposed to sound meaningful.
    10. Because its self-indulgence at its worse on the back of a 2 second riff. Cr@p.

(...my second vote would be Whiskey in the Jar, but I don't want it in my head cos its just as bad, and covers bands play it mistaking it for being a good song in the first place. Which its not.)

There. Done. :)

I'm largely with you, but I'll forgive the piano ending on two grounds:

1. Used to good effect in Goodfellas;
    2. Covered to good effect at an awesome Twilight Singers gig I went to a few years ago.
  • bigmat
    Clocks.

The most banal, irritating paino riff that has ever graced the earth. That the song then indulges it like it's the deepest most complex, subtle riff ever conceived only worsens the pain.

Also, the behaviour of the band and the inevitable crowd when this song is being played is like it's some hard hitting head banging smasher. It's actually some limp-wristed colour by numbers piece of p!ss that appeals to the lowest common denominator, disguised as a record with class.

:lol:
  • bigmat
    And my own submission - The Killers, Mr Brightside. Its a good old indie song. Nothing wrong with it. But - every time NME / XFM etc ever do a top 50 best songs ever / best songs of the millennium / best guitar songs etc etc, its ALWAYS up near the top. What's so special? I just don't get it.
  • bigmat
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    BigMat wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Layla - Eric Clapton

1. Because its supposedly a guitar classic, whereas in fact, its sh1t.
    2. Because that 7 note riff is the iconic bit, but it ends there.
    3. Because the lyrics are, again, sh1t.
    4. Because the verse chords are 'first thing that would pop into your head' predictable rubbish.
    5. Because the Chorus is appalling.
    6. Because all the vocal melodies are dire.
    7. Because the piano ending is a pathetic attempt to sound meaningful, just welded onto the end as a whole new bit that doesn't fit the song.
    8. Because the vocals are crap.
    9. Because, even though the original was sh1t, he then goes and releases an 'oh so clever' acoustic version, which is even worse as this time, its supposed to sound meaningful.
    10. Because its self-indulgence at its worse on the back of a 2 second riff. Cr@p.

(...my second vote would be Whiskey in the Jar, but I don't want it in my head cos its just as bad, and covers bands play it mistaking it for being a good song in the first place. Which its not.)

There. Done. :)

I'm largely with you, but I'll forgive the piano ending on two grounds:

1. Used to good effect in Goodfellas;
    2. Covered to good effect at an awesome Twilight Singers gig I went to a few years ago.

:) As I was writing the list of reasons I was so tempted to write the same about the Goodfellas bit, but I didn't think the song deserved a redeeming comment cos of a quite brilliant film (definitely one of my top 10 ...now there's another idea for a thread, personal favourite top 10 films of all time) ...if it was featured in a crap film instead then it wouldn't have crossed my mind at all though :) ...so I'll just reiterate its a sh1t song :)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Clocks.

That is a right annoying trait, but, I think there's an even better example of falsley reacting to a song by musicians that can make you sick.... look up any live performance of the limp-wristed Keane playing Somewhere Only We Know and watch the keyboard player looking like he's playing the hardest riff of all time, what a prat.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Anything By Lenny Kravitz, in fact, what exactly has he ever done other than pretend to be Jimmy Hendrix?

Lennt would kill your ass for even thinking that. Word.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I've just remembered 7 Nation Army by White Stripes. I did a pretty good job of blocking it from my memory but now it's back it's going to annoy the hell out of me :x
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    bohemian rhapsody.

Despite being a massive Queen fan in my teens this is the definitive answer. So over-produced they could never perform it properly live. Most Beatles stuff is up there too.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    izza wrote:
    White Christmas - Wham

1) Sung by an odious kebab eating tw@t who spends half his life drugged up, trying to be a perv.
    2) Is wheeled out every festive period as a 'classic'
    3) Is about someone who pulls twice at Xmas. Wow. MTFU - if you can't pull plural times at that time of year, it means one thing - you're f. ugly

Hmmm not heard that. Is it as bad as their famous hit (with a silent S) Last Christmas ;)
  • random man wrote:
    I've just remembered 7 Nation Army by White Stripes. I did a pretty good job of blocking it from my memory but now it's back it's going to annoy the hell out of me :x

Oh God yes. It's fookin awful. The rest of that album was equally as gash.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Bat Out of Hell - Meatloaf.

Must have sold more copies due to the picture on the album cover than any other song in history.

The older I get, the better I was.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • At least as bad as Imagine: Happy Christmas (War Is Over)

"So this is Christmas. And what have you done?". Plenty thanks. Now fcuk off, yer nosey cnut.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Coldplay, all of it. Insipid shite.

+1 can anybody actually remember anything they did
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    timb64 wrote:
    Angels by Robbie Williams(in fact anything by the blobster)
    Beautiful by James Blunt(sounds like the pub landlord's dog on heat)
    Mull of Kintyre(enough said.......)
    Sailing by Rod Stewart(ditto)
    this could be a very long list.......

all of those songs..no matter how much one detests them...have the saving virtue that lifts off the bottom of the list by being memorable to some degree as do a lot of suggestions on this thread.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm