Most overrated song of all time

Comments

• mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    ddraver wrote:
    Mouth wrote:
    Can't believe it took 20 posts for Status Quo to be mentioned. Anything by them is utter 'dirge' ( a word my father-in-law uses. Did he make it up?).

but they never took themselves to seriously, so I can kind of forgive them. It'sbands/fans that pretend they ve just released the greatest piece of artwork ever the wind me up!

If I was paying £50 to see a band I'd want to see someone who took it seriously.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Well i confess I've never done that for "da Quo" so.....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I'll tell you what I hate, what I really really hate...... 'Wannabe' by those talentless bints The Spice Girls. Made even more unbearable when they try and make out that it was some kind of groundbreaking anthem, as if they were some modern day Emily Pankhurst!

As Jim Royle might say " girl power, my arse"
  • iplod
    iplod Posts: 83
    Anything by Bruce Springsteen.
    SOLITUDE. It's not for everyone.

Trek 5.2 madone 2007
    Ribble audax/winter 2010
    Bianchi infinto 2012
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    (Everything I do) I Do It For You - Bryan Adams

Played at everyones wedding, so I'm told.................
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    In the words of Scroobius.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWrMGXwhFLk&feature=related... "Their just a band".
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Wonderwall and anything by Oasis in general, just godawful. Everybody Hurts- REM, easily my most hated song of all time.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    CiB wrote:
    +1 for Imagine. 6th form lyrics & a Play In A Day piano hook.

And another for Imagine. The eyewateringly blatent hypocrisy of the writer doesn't help!

And I'll bang a nomination in for the Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony. Slightly driven by having seen them live and realising the mismatch between their talent and how talented they clearly thought they were :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Happy Birthday.Overused.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    'Someone like you' by Adele.
    Don't get me wrong, I like her and the rest of her songs are mostly really good but this one just sucks, she just can't sing the high notes and it hurts my ears.
  • Tony-J
    Tony-J Posts: 53
    The Beatles suck. Then again, I wish it could be Christmas every day by Wizard. Cliff Richard's poisonous Christmas dirges. Christmas songs. Artists who release Christmas songs all of whom should be strung up by their thumbs, all except Boy George who should be drowned in a vat of cockroach bile to the theme of the Magic Roundabout.
    For those fortunate to have missed Lena Zavaroni well done.
    .....and breathe....
    Glen (work colleague) 'So Tony, those stars in the sky..they're not really small...they're really far away?'
    Glen:'so the Scottish, the Welch and the Irish all have their own languages..so why don't the English have their own language?'
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    The thread asks for over-rated songs which to me means songs that are critically acclaimed but you find awful. Some posts are just listing sh1te songs that aren't really rated anyway.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    The thread asks for over-rated songs which to me means songs that are critically acclaimed but you find awful. Some posts just don't even mention a song at all.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    The thread asks for over-rated songs which to me means songs that are critically acclaimed but you find awful. Some posts just don't even mention a song at all.

True, but I can't remember the title of the Bob Dylan songs that get on my t1ts.
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Tony-J wrote:
    For those fortunate to have missed Lena Zavaroni well done

Name an overrated Lena Zavaroni song.
  • As mentioned on another thread:

Johnny B. Goode by Marty McFly (and many others).
  • neilrobins
    neilrobins Posts: 102
    Umbrella by Rhianna, no 1 for a Gazillion weeks, so overrated the weather decided to p*ss us all off by raining for every week it was at no1. Oh and anything by Will I Am, pretentious little twerp,last 10 songs all sound the same.
    Top of my list is Florence and the Machine with her rendition of You got the Love by The Source (featuring Candy Staton) the original version was a great 70s song the best was the afore mentioned dance version but Flo's version is just needless warbling yet it is played in preference to the others aggghhhh!
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Stars by Simply Red. Makes me want to throw ginger people off tall buildings
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Any queen record.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Pretty much anything by Pink Floyd or Roger Walters, Broken Stones by Paul Weller....pretty much anything by Paul Weller. I just don't get it, I used to like the Jam, but now I've grown up I just don't understand why he is held up to be some guru of British music, his stuff is all sh1t.
    I could go on and on and on about stuff that's over-rated ( I suppose that means stuff I don't rate)..... Eminem, foul mouthed, whining, talentless little no-mark, voice of a generation- HAAH!, kids only buy his stuff 'cos it's got swearing in it and they think it will annoy Mummy and Daddy. Anything that's come out of a television "talent" show.

I'll be back when I think of more, but Oasis, I read a review in the paper about a couple of years ago of their last album, it said something along the lines of "still feeding from the same trough of pigswill for the last twenty years" I remember thinking that at last a journo had the balls to say it, although it was probably the end of their career.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    campagone wrote:
    'Someone like you' by Adele.
    Don't get me wrong, I like her and the rest of her songs are mostly really good but this one just sucks, she just can't sing the high notes and it hurts my ears.

I have to say all of her is overrated, ok so she's not the worst thing in the world (and so not the most overrated), but she's not some lyrical/musical genius!

That said I ve struggled ever since hearing her describe "chasing pavements" - (*affect Cockney accent*) I just got dumped by my boyfriend and I was like walking through the streets of London and I was like Oh my god what am I doing I'm like chasing pavements - No Adele, you re walking, it's nothing special!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Layla - Eric Clapton

1. Because its supposedly a guitar classic, whereas in fact, its sh1t.
    2. Because that 7 note riff is the iconic bit, but it ends there.
    3. Because the lyrics are, again, sh1t.
    4. Because the verse chords are 'first thing that would pop into your head' predictable rubbish.
    5. Because the Chorus is appalling.
    6. Because all the vocal melodies are dire.
    7. Because the piano ending is a pathetic attempt to sound meaningful, just welded onto the end as a whole new bit that doesn't fit the song.
    8. Because the vocals are crap.
    9. Because, even though the original was sh1t, he then goes and releases an 'oh so clever' acoustic version, which is even worse as this time, its supposed to sound meaningful.
    10. Because its self-indulgence at its worse on the back of a 2 second riff. Cr@p.

(...my second vote would be Whiskey in the Jar, but I don't want it in my head cos its just as bad, and covers bands play it mistaking it for being a good song in the first place. Which its not.)

There. Done. :)
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Smoke on the water.

Killer intro, but then you might as well turn it off.

I don't want to sound like I'm sticking up for Status Quo here, but I'd sooner listen to Roll Over Lay Down than anything Oasis have ever done!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Anything by Adele, bleurgh.
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    mfin wrote:
    Layla - Eric Clapton

1. Because its supposedly a guitar classic, whereas in fact, its sh1t.
    2. Because that 7 note riff is the iconic bit, but it ends there.
    3. Because the lyrics are, again, sh1t.
    4. Because the verse chords are 'first thing that would pop into your head' predictable rubbish.
    5. Because the Chorus is appalling.
    6. Because all the vocal melodies are dire.
    7. Because the piano ending is a pathetic attempt to sound meaningful, just welded onto the end as a whole new bit that doesn't fit the song.
    8. Because the vocals are crap.
    9. Because, even though the original was sh1t, he then goes and releases an 'oh so clever' acoustic version, which is even worse as this time, its supposed to sound meaningful.
    10. Because its self-indulgence at its worse on the back of a 2 second riff. Cr@p.

(...my second vote would be Whiskey in the Jar, but I don't want it in my head cos its just as bad, and covers bands play it mistaking it for being a good song in the first place. Which its not.)

There. Done. :)

Very true: In a simliar vein, (and I quite like some Pink Floyd) "Money", for almost exactly the same reasons as the above, makes me want to puke when I hear it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Clocks.

The most banal, irritating paino riff that has ever graced the earth. That the song then indulges it like it's the deepest most complex, subtle riff ever conceived only worsens the pain.

Terrible drumming. Utterly basic, devoid of any balls or substance.

Also, the behaviour of the band and the inevitable crowd when this song is being played is like it's some hard hitting head banging smasher. It's actually some limp-wristed colour by numbers piece of p!ss that appeals to the lowest common denominator, disguised as a record with class.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    White Christmas - Wham

1) Sung by an odious kebab eating tw@t who spends half his life drugged up, trying to be a perv.
    2) Is wheeled out every festive period as a 'classic'
    3) Is about someone who pulls twice at Xmas. Wow. MTFU - if you can't pull plural times at that time of year, it means one thing - you're f. ugly
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Can't name an actual song as such...

Stevie Wonder - his stuff seems to promise much but then does not deliver, like going to a fancy restaurant, tasty but you end up leaving feeling hungry and skint!
    The Beatles - very little about them appeals to me.
    Pink Floyd - don't get it really, think it has too much to do with student stoneheads
    AC/DC et al
    Jay Z - saw him live a few years ago just though it was poor
    Adele - as before

but I do like Micheal Jackson...totally f'd up dude but muscially for while he was brilliant.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Anything By Lenny Kravitz, in fact, what exactly has he ever done other than pretend to be Jimmy Hendrix?
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Another +1 for Imagine.

Plus anything 'rated' by the Beatles and the Stone Roses and the Happy Mondays.
    exercise.png