Pizza

13»

Comments

• Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    memsley89 wrote:
    This thread inspired me to eat pizza last night...
    Ham and Pineapple, 'Pizza Hawaii' if you will.

It was awesome... just sayin'.

Get out.

His avatar is a seagull, it's well known that seagulls eat any old crap... :wink:
  • esspeebee
    esspeebee Posts: 174
    kelsen wrote:
    So why is a ham and pineapple pizza called a Hawaiian anyway?
    More marketable than 'abomination'.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Any idea how to make the perfect thin base?
  • Mr Sworld
    welkman wrote:

I use Jamies recipie (it works as well as any other I've tried).

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pizza-recipes/pizza-dough

The real secret is to get the 'proper' Italian 00 flour, strong bread flour just doesn't quite do it... 8)

Of course the real secret of pizza is a wood fired pizza oven... Pizza goes in and a few minutes later it's ready. :mrgreen:
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    welkman wrote:

I make mine with my sourdough starter when I'm baking bread. 300g flour (100g strong bread flour, 200g 00 gives me the best effect usually), 90g of starter, 160g of water, 15g of garlic olive oil and a good pinch of salt get mixed together to make the dough in the morning. I knead it every 15 minutes for the first hour (just for a minute at a time) and then leave it for a couple of hours between kneads. Occasionally I make it the night before and then leave it in the fridge until an hour before I'm ready to bake.

Really working the dough (or leaving it to develop for a long time if sourdough) is the key to the thin crust. Getting the gluten structure right is what lets you stretch it. Another trick is to stretch it until it starts to pull back into itself, leave it to rest on some baking parchment dusted with ground semolina for 10 minutes and then stretch it out a little more.

I don't have a wood-fired pizza oven sadly but I do have a big granite worktop saver (£10 in Wilkinsons) that I put in the oven when baking bread/pizza. That lets me get the temperature up to about 280C and gets a lovely crisply base on the pizza.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Applespider, you know how to make great bread!

The only thing I could add to this is that salt strengthens gluten in bread dough, providing uniform grain, texture and dough strength. With salt present, gluten holds more water and carbon dioxide, allowing the dough to expand without tearing, the key to elastic dough. So experiment with a little bit more salt but be careful as too much inhibits yeasts ability to rise.

Oh and If your arms don't ache you aint doin' it right! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    garlic olive oil

Why was I not told about this sooner?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    team47b wrote:
    davis wrote:
    Culinary perfection

Think you guys must be mistaken. Culinary perfection is clearly the Parmo

parmo.jpg

That would actually be improved by stubbing a fag out in it!

That is the traditional garnish.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    davis wrote:
    garlic olive oil

You've never seen it :shock: or just never thought about putting it in pizza dough? :lol: Depending on who is sharing with me, I sometimes add chilli oil instead. I guess most savoury flavours would work. I have ridiculous amounts of flavoured oils though - blood orange for salads is my all time favourite though.

Oh... and a pizza to show you that the recipe works. The dough is on for tonight's.

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    davis wrote:
    garlic olive oil

You've never seen it :shock:

This. I've never seen it, but I'm not sure how; I'm definitely interested in cooking and food! I do my absolute damndest to stay out of supermarkets because they're hateful places filled with misery so I don't see shelves of new stuff. I'll think I'll probably make some of that oil.
    Depending on who is sharing with me, I sometimes add chilli oil instead.

That reminds me, I should make some more of this too....
    I guess most savoury flavours would work. I have ridiculous amounts of flavoured oils though - blood orange for salads is my all time favourite though.

Gah! You're a bad (good) influence!
    Oh... and a pizza to show you that the recipe works. The dough is on for tonight's.

*PICTURE OF UNDENIABLE AWESOMENESS

Excellent. What time shall I arrive?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    davis wrote:
    Culinary perfection

Think you guys must be mistaken. Culinary perfection is clearly the Parmo

parmo.jpg
    WTF is that?????
  • PBo wrote:
    parmo.jpg
    WTF is that?????

As stated above it's a 'Parmo' (whatever that is!?!)

Looks tasty... (in a junk food kind of way).
  • My thoughts on pizza:

Keep it simple, the fewer ingredients the better.
    Quality base, passata (tomatoes, red onion, garlic, fresh basil), cheese (preferably mozzarella), and one or two others for the the topping.

Personal preferences mean on my pizza there will be no seafood (definitely no anchovies) and absolutely no trace of mushrooms. You of course are free to eat what you want.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've had an idea. It might be awful in practice, but I think I'll try it one day.

Plantain. Not sure how well it would work with the cheese ona pizza, but when I try it, I'll let you all know.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Mr Sworld
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I've had an idea. It might be awful in practice, but I think I'll try it one day.

Plantain. Not sure how well it would work with the cheese ona pizza, but when I try it, I'll let you all know.

Ahhh... Gear and munchies. It has a lot to answer for.