Specialized FSR XC Pro (WIP)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are differences depedning on where exactly the pivots are, but FSR itself does tend to have little pedal kickback - this does translate inot less anti squat though, so is prone to bob.

In many ways with short travel bikes (shorter than this), it doesn't matter too much. The short travel (and stiffer spring) in itself limits bob and kickback. When you get to longer travel it becomes more pronounced - this is why I like designs like the DW link, as the virtual pivot shifts throught he travel to limit kickback.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    The DW link design seems to be one of the least-compromised layouts around.

Although, all layouts have their pros & cons :)
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Ive just purchased a Spesh Stumpjumper Fsr elite frame 09 for £250. All components from my Goose transferred, just waiting for the Fox Triad shock to come back from servicing. Will take some photos when I'm up and running.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • supersonic
    Nice frames - is pretty much identical to my FSR XC Pro, but has a better alloy.
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    supersonic wrote:
    Nice frames - is pretty much identical to my FSR XC Pro, but has a better alloy.

I just can't wait to get out and ride it. Hoping the shock will be back Friday/ Saturday.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • rebel_brown
    rebel_brown Posts: 126
    Looks good! Those brakes look like an absolute steal at that price as well, might have to seriously consider them when I get round to upgrading the old Julies.
  • supersonic
    They are a bugger to setup though! Take some very very careful caliper positioning - the actual gap for the rotor is tiny, is easy to catch the caliper body. Persevere though and you'll be rewarded.
  • Bikerguy15
    Bikerguy15 Posts: 119
    Join the club.

6953417982_7ddcd2d25b.jpg

I've got the 07 one, I think it was the year just before they changed it to a rocker linkage. I do love it though, got everything set up on it just how I like it.
  • supersonic
    Some new bigger rotors!

hopefloat-1-1.jpg
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    The new Rotors look awesome supersonic so i take it you've got to go easier when pulling the levers eh? ;) .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • supersonic
    All finished, no more changing for now! Both XERO wheels on (after a cross thread farce!), new XT Dynasis chainset.

speshnew-2.jpg

speshnew-3.jpg

speshnew-4.jpg

speshnew-5.jpg

speshnew-1.jpg
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Very nice, even better value.

Well impressed with that Marzocchi 44 RLO fork for the money (if it stays like that it's a true bargain). Did you take the spacer out of the LR and get it to 120?
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    liking the pedal choice, i have white pinheads. They are grippy.
  • supersonic
    Yep, were 100mm but had a spacer.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    That means you took 'em to bits. How easy are they to service? I see Marzocchi don't supply self maintenance schematics and whatnot. Looks like they want you to go through Windwave for a simple service. Or Windwave twisted their arm and want you to go through them.
  • supersonic
    Look pretty easy - though I managed to do this without removing the legs. Just got to remember the order of the bits!
  • supersonic
    Well I took her out for a good ride today on a route that I usually do that had pretty much dried out. It was left very rutted and hard in places, and being a hot and tiring day I appreciated the suspension as it allowed me to sit and pedal and be a bit lazier than usual with line choice. FSR in 120mm platform works rather well with a good shock, next to zero pedal kickback and decent behaviour when pedalling. Fairly neutral under rear braking, but as with any bike, a big handful of front has it pitching up quite a lot.

What I noticed most was small bump compliance - this is the smoothest FS bike I have ever ridden. I think some of it is down to a bit of flex in the rear triangle though, at times when cornering it felt like the bike was hinged in the middle! I missed the snap out of corners that the Zaskar has, the trail feedback and the astonishing acceleration. Also the BB is low, I had numerous pedal strikes. But overall is growing on me, is going to stay in my stable a while. Just need to get used to that flex and trail feel to nail down the traction.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I like the FSR platform, to me it's always felt fairly neutral and balanced, not astonishing in any particular aspect but reliable and predictable.
  • supersonic
    Yeah, I just have to learn to trust it more, the back end felt liek it was taking a different line sometimes!
  • bennett_346
    I'd love to of seen a Thru axle on the rear of my stumpjumper but i was a year early, damn!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I find the FSR system (as it appears on the Norco bikes) tends to feel like it slows the bike down, don`t know why - something to do witht he axle path possibly? I felt it get hung up and makes the bike feel like its slower than it is where as a single pivot or something like a VPP feels more like its firing the bike along the trail.

Nice looking bike though Sonic for that cash!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • bennett_346
    Yeah, i'd agree with that. The pre 2011 design feels like it saps energy from the bike. My old 2010 pitch felt like that, but it seems to have been solved when they moved to a horizontal shock placement. Not sure how that affects it but it feels worlds apart on my stumpy.
  • supersonic
    There is not much anti squat with FSR - but single pivots and VPPs vary so much that they can feel the same or very different. Shock placement makes no difference at all though.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    supersonic wrote:
    There is not much anti squat with FSR - but single pivots and VPPs vary so much that they can feel the same or very different. Shock placement makes no difference at all though.

In terms of actual suspension movement maybe not, in terms of bike handling weight position has a fairly solid effect.
  • supersonic
    Thing is Spesh keep changing it. Some years and models have the horizontal shock, others the vertical. Why? No reason, just to be different I think!
  • bennett_346
    Maybe. The actual orientation makes no difference other than looks probably but other aspects have definately been tweaked for a plusher ride.
  • supersonic
    Maybe the bearings or leverage ratios. Now mine has bedded in it is very smooth.
  • woody_68
    woody_68 Posts: 1
    Very nice looking bike, think you've done a nice job putting it together especially for that cost. Very tempted to do the same and update my 2003 M4 FSR which is looking a bit dated thought considering the amount a ride it still going strong.

Had noticed the frame in the magazines and would have snapped it up for the price you managed.

:D
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    my size large 2010 model frame could be parted with on the cheap woody? Has some cosmetic flaws and a dent in the downtube (I still use it and have done so for over 12 months so it doesn't affect the frame). let me know if you want more details :)

Oh and Paul, I hope you're going to route that rear brake properly :lol:
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    Looks like a nice ride, but those white cables are hideous :)