Specialized FSR XC Pro (WIP)

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited August 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Needs a bit of work lol, but happy birthday to me! Hoping to build up with my XERO wheels, SLX kit, RF Next carbon bars, Hygia brakes (these are great), Spesh tyres and whetver is left in my spares drawer.

fsrxcpro-1.jpg

Comments

• Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Nice, my bro had 2 of these (comp and pro), be nice to see how this turns out.

Not heard of the hygia brakes before, just checked them out.. calipers look very similar to Shimano.. are we missing something here in the UK? In the market for new brakes soon, these could be a contender. Which model of the Hygias are you going to be using?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    What rear shock is that? Looks like a triad.
  • supersonic
    These are the Hygias I bought:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/hygiy-alum ... rear-67028

They are the same as the Usagi:

http://cycletaiwan.com/hygia-usagi-disc-brake.html

So great price! They indeed are similar to Shimanos, use XT pads.

Yep, a Fox Triad.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Nice choice

I did similar with a Comp frame. They are so cheap on ebay.

I love mine now i have it set up right

Are you running 120mm or 130mm up front ?
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    supersonic wrote:
    These are the Hygias I bought:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/hygiy-alum ... rear-67028

They are the same as the Usagi:

http://cycletaiwan.com/hygia-usagi-disc-brake.html

So great price! They indeed are similar to Shimanos, use XT pads.

Wow, great price indeed! Cheers SS, appreciated!

*saves link in favourites for payday *
  • supersonic
    Not decided yet, that fork there is just for show lol. And is just 100mm, but long. Either going to put my Rebas on, or a Tora 130 air, which weighs not much more.
  • DCR00
    you sticking with the rear shock ?

I swapped out the stock X-Fusion straight away for a Float R, not realising that the frame really needs a pro-pedal platform... am happy with the RP23 that's in there now though
  • supersonic
    It's a Fox Triad, so has Pro Pedal!
  • DCR00
    supersonic wrote:
    Yep, a Fox Triad.
    :oops:
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    nice, mine is a bit more 'worn' than that one looks (and has a bigger dent in the downtube :oops: ). Might do you a swapsies on the stock spesh 'the captains' (stock 2010 issue on the pro model) if you have some semi slicks kickng around, mines going to be my commuter bike for work now :wink:
  • supersonic
    I bought it frame only ;-)
  • ricardo_smooth
    that's why i asked if you fancied some of the tyres that would have come with it :D
  • supersonic
    Ah, I see, doh! But I have a pair in the shed lol, and no semi slicks.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ah bugger! Ah well, they willl have to do as the 'fast rollers' then!
  • supersonic
    Very nearly done! Waiting on some longer outer (full length only, cheers spesh...), and need to swap the brake hoses (cheers Americans...) and away we go! Spec at this time is a bit of a mix, Marzocchi Marathon LR (to be replaced by Revs), Hygia Usagi brakes, XERO wheelset, RF NEXT SL bars, LX/SLX groupo, superstar headset and post, kooka stem, SDG saddle, Spesh Captain/Fast Trak tyres, Wellgo pedals.

fsrxc-1.jpg

fsrxc-2.jpg
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    Looks very nice.

Didn't know Deal Extreme did bike bits. Have bought a few torches (Bike lights :D ) from them in the past and will have to have a look over bike components.

I think Xero wheels are often overlooked. Had a set on my road bike a few years ago. With the looks, weight and strength of top end Mavics, they were less than 1/2 the price :shock:
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Nice SS, so whats the total outlay?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Good bike sonic :)

Though never thought to see you going Fully Boinging! lol :P
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    That's a really good looking bike you've built up sonic and the choice of gold chain rings and chain is an excellent idea as it's a great contrast against the frame 8) .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    supersonic wrote:
    So far, £350.

Bargain!!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    supersonic wrote:
    So far, £350.
    Wow that's cheap, or is that zero valuing all the stuff you had already?

I'd love to read your thoughts when you've tried those brakes, we just put some used XT's (M765) on the daughters bike and while they are really nice, they cost (with those bits you always need to finish the job) more than those.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    Lol, yeah, a lot of bits I already had! I got the frame new for £250, I couldn't resist that, so thought I'd make myself a short/mid travel lightweight FS. Wasn't really using the Goose as much as I'd like. Frame and shock was 6.2lbs.

First impressions of the brakes are excellent. Lever feel is superb, a solid bite then progressive power, just as I like. Build looks good too, though the rotors are very lightweight affairs.

Fork is a test item I have so may have to give it back lol. 1900g, a bit porky, but not many can match the small bump resonse here.

XERO wheels are oldies, paid £90 for them. Cranks were £35 in the day, rest of the drivetrain is off the Rock Lobster I bought. Tyres off an old bike too.

Just something different I guess. As much as I like to give advice on the what may be the best suited bike for a person, I like to personally mix things up, try stuff out. Different can be good and fun! And I am in the fortunate position to give different a go. As many know FS is not my first choice of machine, but I may grow to love this one ;-)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    OK, thanks for the info, £250 for the frame and shock is a great price, the Triad is over £150 on it's own I think!

Brakes sound a good option, the discs look exactly like alligators which are commonly copied in China. (have them on my commuter as at 82g they are the lightest conventional steel discs I could find!) Personally I think I'd go for something with more 'meat' on an MTB (I run a Hayes/Tektro combi that only weighs 212g the pair)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    CycleScene were selling Spesh frames off - I originally went for the Myka - sure, a WSD, but the geo looked fine anyway lol. This was on sale at £200, so a bargain, but was 100mm travel and had a XFusion shop.

Anyway I gave them my details, and then they got back to me saying they had sold out!!! And said they had the FSR left at £400. I said that is double what I was expecting to pay from your mistake, so they let me have at £250. ;-). All in all, top customer service, were apologetic and sorted me out quick.

My bloody cables haven't arrived today, so can't get the final build done, but should be ready for the weekend for a good thrashing!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    edited April 2012
    supersonic wrote:
    Just something different I guess. As much as I like to give advice on the what may be the best suited bike for a person, I like to personally mix things up, try stuff out. Different can be good and fun! And I am in the fortunate position to give different a go. As many know FS is not my first choice of machine, but I may grow to love this one ;-)

Reckon your back will love you for it though mate, I always feel sore on a hard tail these days but them it's the mileage on ME i reckon that tells lol.
  • bennett_346
    supersonic wrote:
    I always feel sore of a hard tail these days
  • supersonic
    Maiden voyage tonight! Front end is a lot higher than the Zaskar, despite similar listed geo, and a slightly shorter reach. But this is what I wanted really, a more 'comfortable' trail bike, not just focused on speed.

FSR, as I already knew, has little pedal feedback. I like this - it does bob somewhat, but you can't have both really. It doesn't neuter small square edge hits, in fact is not better than my Zaskar at that. Larger stuff, and dips and hollows you can feel it working. Certainly a little more grip, but the whole feeling is a bit mushy and detached for me. Smooth - but boggy! And a bit heavy.

I guess I knew this would be the way, and I will adapt to take advantage of what it has to offer, but it won't be replacing the Zaskar! But it will be a useful addition.
  • bennett_346
    FSR has always needed propedal to make it worth it for singletrack i think. The only FS bikes i have ever had have been FSR and it's definately a marmite setup!
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    supersonic wrote:
    FSR, as I already knew, has little pedal feedback. I like this - it does bob somewhat, but you can't have both really. It doesn't neuter small square edge hits

have you found this a common horst link design property? (no pedal feedback + bob)