Whats your realistic dream bike...

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited August 2012 in The hub
following on from the car thread of similar name, figured it would be cool to see what peeps would love to own as a realistic bike, new or old, or maybe what you wish you could buy (within reason obviously, no 10000000000mm travel, 15lb dh bike or whatever) ;)

Personally I would love an original santa cruz blur 4x

santacruzblur4xinlonggrass-399-75.jpg

in black and lime green naturally!!

Comments

• specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Xgreygoose's carbon nomad! :D

I'd really like a pivot mach 5.7 carbon
    carbonpivot.jpg

In lawmans favourite colours :wink:
    I reckon its doable but it would take a few years of scrimping.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I'd have my current bike. But with the provisio that someone else has already paid to have the forks and shock serviced. Oh, and I'd have an XT brake on the rear as well as the front.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As a riding god it makes no difference. Awesome talent rules.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Dunno, as much as I'd love a top end carbon full suss around 140mm travel mark it's not realistic for the next few years what with uni...

In the next year I'm hoping to get a Giant Anthem X frame from fleabay, I'll be very happy with one of those for now, given where I'm based down at uni then I really can't justify much more, and when it does get to holidays I'd happily take an anthem most places, obviously not DHing but that's what the summer season is for.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    1969/70 BSA 650cc Firebird. You didnt say it had to be a MTB.

bsa34.jpg
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I pretty much have it, would just make a few tweeks.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    edited April 2012
    See my sig link to 'Bruiser': very realistic as I already have one :-)

Actually one of these would be very good when I get good enough to ride it:

ytweb620.jpg

Cane Creek Double Barrel shock, Marzocchi 888 forks and Deemax wheels for £2.4k 8)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I don't actually have a dream bike at all! There's bikes I'd like to try, and though the bikes I have aren't flashy, I love the way they ride. I'd be very intrigued to try the new range of 140mm travel 29ers but until I've ridden one and had a real mess in the front of my grundies, they're not a dream to own.

How about The Kingdon's 140mm Carbon 29er?

KBP_Savant61.jpg

Found a better pic...

Savant_SideView3.jpg
  • lawman
    Must admit the new tallboy LTc looks the dogs, but for me a 140mm carbon fs, much like the HD is perfect. It needs a few tweaks, iscg tabs, could be abit lighter, slacker etc... After seeing the tallboy LTc I can't wait to see what they do with the Blur LTc in the next few years, an updated blur would be sweet!
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I'd like an ibis Mojo, but nobody has one of them ;)

Personally, I'd have to spec things up individually, but I will say that I think this frame is a thing of beauty

mondraker-foxy-rr-2011-frame.jpg

Although back in the day I madly wanted this bike
    dirt_dvd-280-75.jpg
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Gazlar wrote:
    Although back in the day I madly wanted this bike
    Looks quite easy to steal too, JMC's only got one leg over it, a bike-fu mistake if ever I saw one. Shouldn't leave yourself open like that.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Would probably be the new breed of spesh demo to replace my orange, and a nukeproof mega/santa cruz nomad or something to replace my slayer. Though in terms of spec, my slayer is pretty dialled right now, aside from stuff getting a bit worn etc.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    6318660529_e49ca4782f.jpg - always lusted after one of these, back in the day.

These days I would love a Whyte 19 Steel with Fox forks.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    edited May 2012
    specialized fsr xc pro
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    Realistic Dream bike would be a Giant Anthem X1. I really really want one, but can't get the finance for on, and it will take me a while to save up for one :( However I will probably end up getting its cheaper brother the X4 or X5 towards the end of the year. :D

Also my old Kona Stuff, I'd love to have it back, more for sentimental value really, as my Step Dad who passed away the September or 2000 bought me the Kona for my Birthday.
  • I commute to work on my bike and 'play off road' on a weekend (when ever the opportunity arises). I am was wanting to get a new hard tail mountain bike probably best for commuting. However I have just been introduced to the exciting world of downhill. I am now really struggling to decide between the sensible hardtail which serves most purposes, and an all singing all dancing full sus (and bounce to work like tigger).
    hardtail Kona Caldera
    Full sus Kona Entourage (my Lana'i is a little old now)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose ... aid:524518

was of these along with keeping my draker. me happy :)
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    bobpzero wrote:
    specialized fcr xc pro
    aspirational
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    I always wanted Saracen Kili comp years ago but know i'd be happy with a decent £600 hardtail .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    bobpzero wrote:
    specialized fsr xc pro
    aspirational
    in 4 years time :lol:
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    My bike with Rockshox Sid WC's, some hope hub/stans rim combo and a dropper post. Probably lighten the rest of the finishing kit out too and aim for sub 25lbs
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I'd like an Intense Carbine SL
    2012-Intense-Carbine-SL-Mountain-Bike-7.jpg
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • IT66T
    Now that's a bike worth wanting .
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • lawman
    oodboo wrote:

No iscg tab fail, rendering it all but useless :roll:

why some companies don't spec these on frames is beyond me, the likes of Ibis, santa cruz and those that use standard bb's have some level of forgiveness, but what pivot and intense have done with pressfit bb's and no tabs is just plain sinful! the carbine would be well near the top of my wishlist if it had this one little feature.
  • bennett_346
    lawman wrote:
    oodboo wrote:

why some companies don't spec these on frames is beyond me, the likes of Ibis, santa cruz and those that use standard bb's have some level of forgiveness, but what pivot and intense have done with pressfit bb's and no tabs is just plain sinful! the carbine would be well near the top of my wishlist if it had this one little feature.
    Doesn't it come with a clutch mech, rendering a chain device useless and extra weight?
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:
    oodboo wrote:

Doesn't it come with a clutch mech, rendering a chain device useless and extra weight?

As good as clutch mechs are, I'd still want a chain device, my LG1+ has become something I'd love to have on any bike I own in future, and I'm certainly not alone in this respect, a clever mech will never be a replacement for a full chainguide on a 1 x10 setup.
  • bennett_346
    lawman wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    oodboo wrote:

As good as clutch mechs are, I'd still want a chain device, my LG1+ has become something I'd love to have on any bike I own in future, and I'm certainly not alone in this respect, a clever mech will never be a replacement for a full chainguide on a 1 x10 setup.
    Have you ever used a clutch mech on the trail before? If not, how do you know it isn't as good as an LG1+?
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    p4pb8003692.jpg

this but with vivid air, deemax wheels, 2013 saint groupset and chromag bars. might be possible in a year or 2
  • IT66T
    That's one sweet looking bike their jay12 and i'm just loving that green and blue paint scheme "Yummy" :wink: .
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    oodboo wrote:

Have you ever used a clutch mech on the trail before? If not, how do you know it isn't as good as an LG1+?

The lbs has a range of demo bikes with them fitted, so have taken one round the local trails, lost the chain once, and one thing the LG1 does that the clutch mechs cannot do is double as a bash guard, plus I feel alot more secure knowing that the chain is going no where, clutch mechs might help stop the chain, but if I used one and for whatever reason dropped the chain, it'll get stuck in the linkage or in some awkward place on a bike as they often can and there is no way that can happen with an LG1. I can guarantee a LG1 is easier to pull apart than the shadow plus internals and easier to adjust. Plus of you wipe out a rear mech, chances are you gonna need a new mech and hanger. If you do enough damage to an LG1 or any top-end guide, I'm pretty sure you'll be more worried about your self than your bike!

I rate it so highly its up there with my HD, reverbs and xt brakes in my best products ever list, it is a superb piece of kit.