chocolate milk for recovery?

Comments

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Cheapest option, pound for pound, is probably to buy myprotein chocolate flavoured impact whey protein. About £40 for 5kg. Mix a scoop with water and hey presto a tasty, protein rich, chocolate flavoured milkshake... Perfect for recovery after a hard ride... You could even start playing around with other ingredients like BCAA or glutamine depending on how far you want to get into recovery nutrition...
    To be honest that isn't great for recovery due to lack of carbs. Protein is used by body-builders post workout to help muscle development. A bit of protein is beneficial to cyclists (for muscle repair) but we're more worried about replenishing glycogen stores and for that we need carbs (lots and lots of carbs). Normal chocolate milk is good because most seem to have 3 or 4:1 carb to protein ratio (which is recommended for recovery).

If you added around 80g of dextrose/maltodextrin etc. to the the whey protein then you'd be in business.

http://cycling.dingdangdo.com/recovery-nutrition
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Godders1 wrote:
    Cheapest option, pound for pound, is probably to buy myprotein chocolate flavoured impact whey protein. About £40 for 5kg. Mix a scoop with water and hey presto a tasty, protein rich, chocolate flavoured milkshake... Perfect for recovery after a hard ride... You could even start playing around with other ingredients like BCAA or glutamine depending on how far you want to get into recovery nutrition...
    To be honest that isn't great for recovery due to lack of carbs. Protein is used by body-builders post workout to help muscle development. A bit of protein is beneficial to cyclists (for muscle repair) but we're more worried about replenishing glycogen stores and for that we need carbs (lots and lots of carbs). Normal chocolate milk is good because most seem to have 3 or 4:1 carb to protein ratio (which is recommended for recovery).

If you added around 80g of dextrose/maltodextrin etc. to the the whey protein then you'd be in business.

http://cycling.dingdangdo.com/recovery-nutrition

Yeah definitely if you've been on a mega ride... I tend to mix my own energy drinks with malto, BCAA, choline which I drink on the ride. When I get home I eat anyway so get carbs from food and in addition to that have a protein shake...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Have allways been a advid supported of the cold choc best recovery drink around tbh, and simple to make and cheap on the wallet.

only need complex drinks for when you doing serious hardcore training day in day out .
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • 2 litres of Coffee flavoured milk ...if the mrs lets me buy it.

Mind you my exercise regimen, size and weather conditions mean my coach for swimming tells me to drink at least 4 litres a day, so 2 litres is not actually a lot...to me.
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    If i put enough effort in, its peanut butter and jam on white bread washed down with a glass of milk for me.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • I have chocolate nesquick, used to have whey protein in a tub but very expensive and there's not a lot of difference.
  • I use whey protein from ( myprotein.com) vanilla, by one get one free at the moment.
  • That's good, I used to get mine from Holland & barrat when it was half price. They have it on offer a lot.
  • diddyfunk
    diddyfunk Posts: 252
    Hi Guys

I have been lookng to use Chocolate Milk as a recovery aid and can only find Chocolate Flavoured Milk

Is this the same as Chocolate Milk intended for recovery?

All I can find in Sainsburys or Tesco is like this: -

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268676457

Thanks
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
    08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    I used to have chocolate milk after rides but nowadays I generally stick to a banana or a bowl of muesli after anything up to 90 minutes of exercise and for longer rides I'll have a bowl of muesli and a glass of milk. In both cases I'll try and drink at least 2 pints of water in the next couple of hours. If I train in the evening this may leave me going to bed hungry but I tend to resist from opening the fridge door - and I generally wake up in the morning less hungry from not eating in the evening.

I've noticed that as my fitness has improved, so has my recovery. I did a 40 minute turbo session last night sitting on my limit - I had a bowl of muesli after and my legs are showing no ill effects today. Last year I would of ached no matter how much I ate.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    diddyfunk wrote:
    Hi Guys

I have been lookng to use Chocolate Milk as a recovery aid and can only find Chocolate Flavoured Milk

Thanks

No, get Nesquick chocolate milkshake powder, add semi skimmed milk into a cycling drinks bottle...give it a really good shake and enjoy!
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Glass of wine works for me
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    I prefer to make up a simple shake from MP powdered oats, Impact Whey and dextrose. It works well.

I started using them because I needed to, and I only bother if I know I've done enough to need it. Prior to that I used Powerbar, which is more expensive for (much) less protein content.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    I prefer to make up a simple shake from MP powdered oats, Impact Whey and dextrose. It works well.

I started using them because I needed to, and I only bother if I know I've done enough to need it. Prior to that I used Powerbar, which is more expensive for (much) less protein content.

This method is probably the best one - not only for carb and protein content but cost also. I'll dig it out but I did a comparison of the popular recovery products a while back for another site and it was pretty obvious that buying 2.5kg of Myprotein/Bulkpowderrs instant whey - maltodextrin/dextrose - fine oats works out around 50p a serving compared to £1 + of many of the other options.

Expensive to buy on paper but when you divide the servings cost up - the benefit shines
  • PeteMadoc wrote:

+1

Great for recovery, not so good for the next mornings ride.
  • simon_masterson

This method is probably the best one - not only for carb and protein content but cost also. I'll dig it out but I did a comparison of the popular recovery products a while back for another site and it was pretty obvious that buying 2.5kg of Myprotein/Bulkpowderrs instant whey - maltodextrin/dextrose - fine oats works out around 50p a serving compared to £1 + of many of the other options.

Expensive to buy on paper but when you divide the servings cost up - the benefit shines

Yes, that's what I thought. I too did some calculating, and if I recall it worked out at about £10 a month for one shake per day on week days, which is hard to argue with. Add to that the cost of milk and shaker cups and so on, and the postage, and it's still a paltry expense...

MP really is excellent. The dextrose makes a cracking energy drink on the cheap too. I daresay that there are other things that they do that I could be putting in my shakes (I'm not clued up; I used a guide on this site if I recall, and then added the dextrose as it sounded like a good idea!), but they work brilliantly. :)
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Mars Refuel for me 2 for £2 couldn't ask for more!!!!!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    kayo74 wrote:
    Could ask for cheaper though
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Me too. But a decent pint of ale is probably better in terms of protein/carb content and ratio.

And of course, that chocolate milk tastes much better with a good shot of cheap Metaxa brandy in it.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    +1 for Mars Refuel

3x 180ml cartons for £1 at Farmfoods.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • simon_masterson
    kayo74 wrote:
    Could ask for cheaper though

Pretty much! I don't think I could get that expense past the wife. :lol::lol::lol:

That and I have my doubts that it's anywhere near as good as an MP or similar solution.
  • pscyclist
    pscyclist Posts: 18
    I've been using this for a good while.
    If you have a blender drop in an egg, a roughly chopped banana, a large heaped dessert spoonful of cocoa powder and top up with milk or milk and plain yoghurt. Whizz 'til smooth. Delicious, quick and cheap and it seems to work.
  • pscyclist wrote:
    If you have a blender drop in an egg, a roughly chopped banana, a large heaped dessert spoonful of cocoa powder and top up with milk or milk and plain yoghurt. Whizz 'til smooth. Delicious, quick and cheap and it seems to work.

I'm not keen on the raw egg though. Bleurghhhh!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    pscyclist wrote:

I'm not keen on the raw egg though. Bleurghhhh!

In that situation you wouldn't even taste it...
  • diddyfunk wrote:
    Hi Guys

Thanks

Mars Refuel seems to be on sale at every Tesco and Tesco direct I have ever been in, plus every other supermarket and corner shop too.

It may be £1 a 400 ml bottle (much cheaper than forgoodnessshakes) but it tastes amazing, I shant ever forget the days of having to hold my nose before downing a protein shake...
  • simon_masterson
    If it tastes amazing, it probably has a lot of stuff in it you don't need. Sports products that taste (and/or look) nice are for people that don't need to use them, as the people that do don't care. No pain, no gain. ;)

But seriously, it doesn't contain enough good stuff to warrant you drinking it other than as a soft drink, let alone paying that much. If you've exerted enough to actually NEED a recovery drink, 3.1g protein/100ml (info from website) isn't going to do anything for you whatsoever. You may as well have a slice of toast and jam and a glass of milk, as you'll at least get some carbs in that way. Sports scientists feel free to correct me. :)
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I had a strawberry milkshake today. Is it still going to work?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    I had a strawberry milkshake today. Is it still going to work?
    It won't kill you but there is a point behind the chocolate. It contains polyphenols which contribute to reducing inflammation.
    If it tastes amazing, it probably has a lot of stuff in it you don't need. Sports products that taste (and/or look) nice are for people that don't need to use them, as the people that do don't care. No pain, no gain. ;)

But seriously, it doesn't contain enough good stuff to warrant you drinking it other than as a soft drink, let alone paying that much. If you've exerted enough to actually NEED a recovery drink, 3.1g of protein (info from website) isn't going to do anything for you whatsoever. You may as well have a slice of toast and jam and a glass of milk, as you'll at least get some carbs in that way. Sports scientists feel free to correct me. :)

You're pretty spot on Simon,people will do different things to aid recovery though. Some of them are expensive real food, some of them are cheap and very simple. For a recovery product it's pretty void of protein, protein being the entire point of it in the first place.

Marketing for the ignorant masses :) They'll be selling water that doesn't make you wet next
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    ianbar wrote:
    well i will have a look at the powered milk later and compare the stats! can imagine the frijj is pretty high in fat though

Don't do it mate, I used to drink it after heavy gym sessions during my first year of uni due to how cheap it was but man it tastes revolting!