chocolate milk for recovery?

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
i hear choc milk is good for recovery? a good and much cheaper option than a load of supplements?
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Yes.

Chocolate contains polyphenols which help reduce inflammation. Obviously the milk contains fats and protein.

No need for expensive recovery products unless you have money to burn
  • zippy483
    zippy483 Posts: 104
    Following my ride today my darling daughter arrived home form her swimming lesson with a mars bar smoothie for me would that count :)
  • ianbar
    well i have had a nice glass of chic milk from morrisons, my fiancee was awaiting me with a picnic when i finished so got tucked into some food straight after too, was my longest ride ever up to 55 miles now and could have gone further for sure, wohoo
    enigma esprit
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Just be careful you don't end up taking in more calories than you are burning
  • ianbar
    oh i know, i wasn't too worried about such things today it was about getting a good ride in i am having a good go and blasting some fat off in the next few weeks
    enigma esprit
  • 'fair bit of sugar in choccy milk though. Do the recovery drinks have less sugar ?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    edited March 2012
    'fair bit of sugar in choccy milk though. Do the recovery drinks have less sugar ?
    Price is the main difference. Insulin spikes draw nutrients to the muscles so you're actually drawing proteins in with the spike. It's a win-win for recovery
  • > 'fair bit of sugar in choccy milk though. Do the recovery drinks have less sugar ?

No - SIS Rego for example is 60% Maltodextrin which is a simple sugar similar to glucose and fructose (again similar to glucose)

+1 on the choco milk

The other option is to buy the ingredients separately - maltodextrin, fructose and whey protein are very very cheap. It only becomes expensive when you package it in a branded container!

jon
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Stanley222 wrote:
    I usually get those Frijj milkshakes - work a treat for me!

I was loving the limited edition fudge brownie flavour a few weeks ago
  • > 'fair bit of sugar in choccy milk though. Do the recovery drinks have less sugar ?

No - SIS Rego for example is 60% Maltodextrin which is a simple sugar similar to glucose and fructose (again similar to glucose)

+1 on the choco milk

The other option is to buy the ingredients separately - maltodextrin, fructose and whey protein are very very cheap. It only becomes expensive when you package it in a branded container!

jon

I found this link after a quick google;

http://www.freshwaterswimmer.com/2011/0 ... otherwise/

As the page says, the only issue I have with choccy milk is having to keep enough of it refrigerated. Not to mention carrying all that liquid back from thr supermarket is a pita.
  • ianbar
    if storage is an issue how does nesquick or a similar powdered milk compare? it would be a lot easier to keep, i personally would look to only use the choc milk after my longer rides.
    enigma esprit
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    ianbar wrote:
    if storage is an issue how does nesquick or a similar powdered milk compare? it would be a lot easier to keep, i personally would look to only use the choc milk after my longer rides.
    No real reason why it wouldn't work.
  • ianbar
    well i will have a look at the powered milk later and compare the stats! can imagine the frijj is pretty high in fat though
    enigma esprit
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Per 200mls milk

3 TSPN Nesquik = 155cals | 21.2g sugar | 4g fat | 2.5g saturates | 0.28g salt

Mars Refuel = 172cals | 27.4g sugar | 4g fat | 2.6g saturates | 0.34g salt |3.1g protein per 100lml

FGS(100ML MILK)= 52cals | 9.4g sugar | 0.1g fat | 0 saturates(I think) | 0.1g Salt | 3.3g protein per 100ml (The 100ml milk throws the actual numbers off :( )

Frijj Chocolate(per 100ml) = 77cals | 11.4g sugar | 1.2g fat | 0.7g saturates | trace of sodium |3.9g protein per 100ml

I think though,even pricing all of those,a bag of maltodextrin+whey protein and mixing your own still works out around £50p ea (total guesstimate I haven't done the sums but it won't be much different.
    Myprotein instant whey: 2.5kg bag(£25.99) = 100 25g servings @ 25p ea
    Myprotein maltodextrin: 2.5kg bag(£7.49) = 100 25g servings @ 7pea

32p per recovery drink (maybe a little more factoring in milk quantity and postage)

1 serving(25g) of MP IW: 98cals | 20.5g protein | 1.7g fat | 1.5g carbs
    1 serving of MP(25g) M : 95 cals | 23.5g sugar | trace fat |
  • I have an (empty!) Choccy Fridge infront of me now and the RDAs from 100ml are;
    Energy 328kJ
    Protein 3.9g
    Carbs 12.6g
    -of which sugars 11.4g
    Fat 1.2g
    -of which saturates 0.7g
    Fibre 0.4g
    Calcium 135mg (17% RDA) - so a bottle gives 85% RDA
    Vitamin B12 0.4ug (16% RDA/bottle 80% RDA)

While I'm at it, ingredients;
    Skimmed Mik (68%)
    Whole Milk (22%)
    Sugar
    Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder
    Buttermilk Powder
    Modified Maize Starch
    Carrageenan & Guar Gum (stabilisers)
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    I have an (empty!) Choccy Fridge infront of me now and the RDAs from 100ml are;
    Energy 328kJ
    Protein 3.9g
    Carbs 12.6g
    -of which sugars 11.4g
    Fat 1.2g
    -of which saturates 0.7g
    Fibre 0.4g
    Calcium 135mg (17% RDA) - so a bottle gives 85% RDA
    Vitamin B12 0.4ug (16% RDA/bottle 80% RDA)

While I'm at it, ingredients;
    Skimmed Mik (68%)
    Whole Milk (22%)
    Sugar
    Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder
    Buttermilk Powder
    Modified Maize Starch
    Carrageenan & Guar Gum (stabilisers)
    You listed energy/KJ,the calorie figure as above matters more imo
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Stanley222 wrote:

+1 V nice.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    Alternatively, have a glass of milk and some chocolate, which is what I do.
  • Kolraz
    Kolraz Posts: 47
    I swear by the Nesquik powdered chocolate milk. I have been drinking this as a recovery drink after hard sessions for both running and cycling for about 2 years and it seems to work really well.

I remember reading somewhere that a carbohydrate to protein ratio of 3:1 is ideal for recovery, which is around the ratio the nesquik stuff has if i remember correctly.
  • BoydD
    BoydD Posts: 68
    noticed a few substituted premiership footballers chugging away on Yazoo banana milk recently.

check this out:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... hake-33963
    Giant Defy Advanced
    Cannondale Super Six 105
    Spesh Rockhopper
  • DonutDad
    DonutDad Posts: 104
    wow, learn something new every time i come on here.

My question is of quantity - are we talking about a single average half pintish glass of choc milk, or does it depend how long a ride you had? Those frijj drinks are 500ml, are you talking a whole one ?!

I'm talking about 2 hour rides at the moment
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Not a chocolate milkshake fan but another who likes the Nesquik milkshake powder (banana for me). If I can be bothered I'll sometimes drop a banana into it and give it a blend. Tastes even nicer that way but creates a bit of extra washing up!

I also use protein powder if I'm trying to beef up (again banana) because it's a really easy way to get protein added into the diet and again a banana in that makes it 10x nicer to drink, although it's not bad by itself!
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Stanley222 wrote:

I was loving the limited edition fudge brownie flavour a few weeks ago
    Or Raspberry Donut - nom!
  • ianbar
    so sorted for me i will be ring for powered milk i think, might try and get hold of own brand version to cut the cost a little more, at a glance the stats add up similar to the other milks. worse comes to worse i think a glass of milk may have to do!
    enigma esprit
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    skip the milk 200g of Fruit and Nut does the trick every time
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Mad Roadie wrote:
    skip the milk 200g of Fruit and Nut does the trick every time

No good for me... nut allergy :(

Glass of milk and a Kit Kat normally, but think I'll try some kind of milkshake after reading this.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • As mentioned by someone else - Mars Refuel. Tastes great, low fat, specific recovery drink and available in supermarkets, corner shops all over the place basically. Seems to have been on a 2 for £2 deal for ages as well.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Cheapest option, pound for pound, is probably to buy myprotein chocolate flavoured impact whey protein. About £40 for 5kg. Mix a scoop with water and hey presto a tasty, protein rich, chocolate flavoured milkshake... Perfect for recovery after a hard ride... You could even start playing around with other ingredients like BCAA or glutamine depending on how far you want to get into recovery nutrition...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Liezel
    Liezel Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    Chocolate milk are very good because it can restore, repair and build muscle. Chocolate mill was found to a wide variety of benefits helping to burn fat and build muscles.