Just upped my average for 20 miles

124»

Comments

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    andy46 wrote:
    I was pretty happy with myself last night for upping my average to 15.8 mph on a regular route of mine, seems like I've got a long way to go to get near some of you guys. :oops:

I was riding quicker than that on my Boardman Hybrid! :lol:
    I could do that on my MTB spell checker !:lol:
    Now I see why you need to take the wee-wee out of my spelling cause your riding so slowly! :lol:

I could do your 18.7 average on my mtb, big deal! :P

Exactly. Don't chuck stones in glass houses etc. 20 miles down a dual carriageway I'd expect most half decent riders to average close to 20 mph.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    andy46 wrote:
    I was pretty happy with myself last night for upping my average to 15.8 mph on a regular route of mine, seems like I've got a long way to go to get near some of you guys. :oops:

Now I see why you need to take the wee-wee out of my spelling cause your riding so slowly! :lol:

You have no idea what your talking about, I'm not going to go into it here but lets say I had problems with my leg from birth and hard work and determination got me where I am today. I was in my twenties when I was finally able to learn to ride a bike and I'm loving every minute of it :D

You don't sound like you have half as much fun or enjoyment as me, you seem quite a bitter person!

By the way, you have no idea on what sort of terrain my average was set do you??? I can tell you it wasn't on a dual carriageway :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    If you think a begginer who rides at 15mph avg can suddlenly manage 21mph for 20 miles if the conditions are better your sadly mistaken!

Note a "hilly route" is considered when there is roughly 1000 ft of climbing per 10 miles. 1000 ft in 20 miles is more like undulating.

As for averages, lets see you ride a 50 mile route with 6000 ft of climbing at 21 mph. My guess would be that you'd be more like 15mph average.
    For reference, I've a similar background in terms of 'riding time'. My "average speeds" over what you have quoted above are 'similar' over similar routes, but guess what... when it's really hilly, my average regularly drops to the 15mph 'zone'.
    Averaging 21mph on a flat DC is not that difficult.... but I do question the 'why'. It seems to pretty much everybody else here, the reason for posting this average speed is to 'big yourself up' in the beginners section. I guess quoting average speeds over a hilly route wouldn't make you look as good.

So the conclusion seems to be that if you ride for a reasonable period of time (like you have), that even a beginner can become an average rider, because I'm just average when I compare myself on Strava.
    Simon
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    Hey w**kers havn't you had enough yet I could give a Flying F**k what any of you pratts post

Doesm't half get your post count up slagging off w**kers!
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490

Whats in it for you tho?
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Hey w**kers havn't you had enough yet I could give a Flying F**k what any of you pratts post
    You really need to look in the mirror. I have't read a single post that doesn't think it's the other way around. People are laughing at you, not with you.
    Simon
  • ineedalager
    andy46 wrote:
    andy46 wrote:

You have no idea what your talking about, I'm not going to go into it here but lets say I had problems with my leg from birth and hard work and determination got me where I am today. I was in my twenties when I was finally able to learn to ride a bike and I'm loving every minute of it :D

You don't sound like you have half as much fun or enjoyment as me, you seem quite a bitter person!

By the way, you have no idea on what sort of terrain my average was set do you??? I can tell you it wasn't on a dual carriageway :lol:

Hey w**ker so you have a birth problem with your leg so it's not your fault your slow so I can't take the p*ss but it's OK in your book to take the p*ss because I have a problem with spelling F^^k off hypocrite.
  • ineedalager
    If you think a begginer who rides at 15mph avg can suddlenly manage 21mph for 20 miles if the conditions are better your sadly mistaken!

Note a "hilly route" is considered when there is roughly 1000 ft of climbing per 10 miles. 1000 ft in 20 miles is more like undulating.

As for averages, lets see you ride a 50 mile route with 6000 ft of climbing at 21 mph. My guess would be that you'd be more like 15mph average.
    For reference, I've a similar background in terms of 'riding time'. My "average speeds" over what you have quoted above are 'similar' over similar routes, but guess what... when it's really hilly, my average regularly drops to the 15mph 'zone'.
    Averaging 21mph on a flat DC is not that difficult.... but I do question the 'why'. It seems to pretty much everybody else here, the reason for posting this average speed is to 'big yourself up' in the beginners section. I guess quoting average speeds over a hilly route wouldn't make you look as good.

So the conclusion seems to be that if you ride for a reasonable period of time (like you have), that even a beginner can become an average rider, because I'm just average when I compare myself on Strava.

Hey I never claimed to be a fast rider in fact I still think I'm pretty average. There are loads of faster riders in the club I ride with I couldn't hope to keep up them.

It's all the haters who seem determined to prove I'm not fast count yourself in there as I do a hilly route with 3 good hills in it I know a beginner would only be averaging 15-16 mph, As I was on that route a year ago on my hybrid, I'm now at 18.7 mph so I know it's a vast improvement from where I was.

I now realize it's a waste of time posting anything on this MB as it's full of pricks like you! who are more obsessed with their smart phones strava GPS computers than they are with riding!

Hey I'm still enjoying my riding despite what your think spell checker!

It seems I need all you lots approval to post anything on here what a bunch of losers you are!
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    andy46 wrote:
    andy46 wrote:

Hey w**ker so you have a birth problem with your leg so it's not your fault your slow so I can't take the p*ss but it's OK in your book to take the p*ss because I have a problem with spelling F^^k off hypocrite.

Didn't say that at all, I was merely pointing out that I am pleased with what I have achieved. Just as you are!

Only difference is I didn't feel the need to start a thread to big myself up :lol::lol::lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Mods, can you lock this thread, please? It's getting ridiculously out of hand.
  • ineedalager
    andy46 wrote:
    andy46 wrote:
    andy46 wrote:

Didn't say that at all, I was merely pointing out that I am pleased with what I have achieved. Just as you are!

Only difference is I didn't feel the need to start a thread to big myself up :lol::lol::lol:

I see you dom't deny being a hyopcrite then! :lol::lol::lol:
  • ineedalager
    Mods, can you lock this thread, please? It's getting ridiculously out of hand.

Your wasting your time I've been trying to get them to lock it for days now don't think there's any mods out there!
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Message Deleted
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Locked.

Will look at what's happened later.

DO NOT abuse the reporting system, else I'd imagine you won't be here for very long.
This discussion has been closed.