Panic buying

Comments

• Sorry, panic posting.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • ddmrcp
    ddmrcp Posts: 23
    Dont just blame Tory boys.
    Coleen Rooney tweeted about fuel shortage too which must have led to panic mainly among WAG wannabes......
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^LOL^^^^^^^^^
    And the greedy buggers @ Shell have whacked on an extra 3p a litre at the local station here ive just been informed :evil:

Around us last time, there was a garage that jacked its prices up to a ridiculous level. I seem to remember £10 a litre (but that cant be right?!!).

Unfortunately for him, people have long memories and it went out of business soon after.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I'm off to fill up -> i actually need too and its going to be extremely annoying queuing for the pump.
  • Last time agrages had run out, my wife was getting ready to drop (baby, that is), the garage next door to her parents house said they would save a little bit just in case we needed it to get to the hospital. We didn't in the end but it was a nice thought.
  • Kenjaja1
    Kenjaja1 Posts: 744
    alanp23 wrote:

Around us last time, there was a garage that jacked its prices up to a ridiculous level. I seem to remember £10 a litre (but that cant be right?!!).

Unfortunately for him, people have long memories and it went out of business soon after.

That was my garage! I didn't go out of business I simply closed it and retired to my mansion in the South of France :twisted:
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    the most annoying thing is that a. I really do need to fill up today and b. I need to cut my grass this weekend for the first time and have no petrol for my mower, so i am going to look like some kind of twat with a diesel car and petrol jerrycan! I only fill up once every 2 weeks.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I'm off to fill up -> i actually need too and its going to be extremely annoying queuing for the pump.

No petrol at my local tescos.. need to do a 150mile round trip on saturday.. and the same on the following saturday.. and the monday after that. On top of normal driving.

its going to be nightmare when they announce the dates.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    As long as no-one is panic buying Cornish Pasties, we will be allright.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    There's a petrol station by me that is really a hire car company, so their prices are always 5p a litre more than Tesco which is 1/4 of a mile down the road. Subsequently the only cars that fill up their are the hire cars being returned empty.

Except today. Today they were cuing to pay 148.9p a litre for petrol. Later when I went past they had cones across the forecourt, obviously sold out! FFS!
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Is it me but:
    1) Don't panic/panic announcement made/not made
    2) Everyone fills up just in case
    3) Everyone keeps topping up just in case
    4) Garages require more deliveries to fill their storage
    5) Most everyone has a car full of fuel
    6) Most garages have had extra deliveries and are full/nearly full
    7) Tanker drivers go on strike with the whole of Britian awash with fuel
    8) Strike has less/little effect.

Call me a cynic :D
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Personally, I like think a conversation went like this...

George Osbourne: "Dave, I've got some bad news, we're probably going to have another quarter of negative growth, which means we're officially in a recession"

Francis Maude "Don't worry I'll tell everyone to panic buy petrol"

Dave "Surely the British public aren't that stupid...oh wait, they completely forgot about a party funding scandal because of a couple of pictures of Cornish pastys"
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    All the panic buying is the fault of the trade union, George Osbourne says so. W@nker :!:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I am afraid I have been affected by this and panic bought a case of Becks Vier. :wink:
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    All the panic buying is the fault of the trade union, George Osbourne says so. W@nker :!:
    line the tanker drivers up in the road, and with the very last drop of fuel in the tank it would be very tempting to exact retribution on the lot of the 'head in the sand' selfish Tw@'s
  • Kenjaja1
    I am afraid I have been affected by this and panic bought a case of Becks Vier. :wink:

Good Man! We'll all be round to help you with that very shortly :wink:
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    Kenjaja1 wrote:

I hope youre close enough to cycle round then - cant waste the scarcity of fuel you have in your car :)
  • Anonymous
    Kenjaja1 wrote:

Tooooooo late, bleurgh, yer mah besht mate, you arrr. Gonna get a keebabb, wooh and then, love you pal, hic.....................feel shick. yesh.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Jez mon wrote:

George Osbourne: "Dave, I've got some bad news, we're probably going to have another quarter of negative growth, which means we're officially in a recession"

Dave "Surely the British public aren't that stupid...oh wait, they completely forgot about a party funding scandal because of a couple of pictures of Cornish pastys"

I doubt a plan that results in people sitting pointlessly in traffic queues for hours actually boosts economic output.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Jez mon wrote:

I doubt a plan that results in people sitting pointlessly in traffic queues for hours actually boosts economic output.

I thought that's what motorists did all the time during rush hour!
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon wrote:

Depends what they would have been doing instead of sitting in traffic. An extra 32m in the treasury coffers isn't a bad end to the 1/4 though.*

*Source Twitter, probably entirely inaccurate!!
  • Jez mon wrote:

The AA today said that they estimated the panic buying today will bring in an extra £32 million fule duty as petrol sales today rose by 81%.

I can only speculate - however politically speaking the Tories have had their worst week either in or out of government for 5 years at least (note solid 10 point Labour lead in all polls). With the news that the OECD today saying we're heading back into recession, the Tories will be desperate to avoid another few weeks of terrible news and headlines. I think it is certainly plausible - last ditch attempt to avoid recession in last few days of this quarter - especially if it turns out UK avoids recession by a whisker when figures released.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    Ha Ha - clever fockers the government: I think there is an intrinsic(k) link between the pasty tax and a possible fuel shortage. If you can't drive to work, then you'll need extra pies for energy because you'll have to walk or cycle.
    The two things came simultaneously, more then just a coincidence.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Times like this I wish I didn't commute to work via bike. See you tomorrow 8am sharp. Bollocks.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724

He's been reading too much Orwell and truely believes that if you tell a lie often enough people will believe it.
  • Kenjaja1
    Kenjaja1 wrote:

Tooooooo late, bleurgh, yer mah besht mate, you arrr. Gonna get a keebabb, wooh and then, love you pal, hic.....................feel shick. yesh.
    Quick! Puke into an empty petrol tank!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Jez mon wrote:

The AA today said that they estimated the panic buying today will bring in an extra £32 million fule duty as petrol sales today rose by 81%.

I can only speculate - however politically speaking the Tories have had their worst week either in or out of government for 5 years at least (note solid 10 point Labour lead in all polls). With the news that the OECD today saying we're heading back into recession, the Tories will be desperate to avoid another few weeks of terrible news and headlines. I think it is certainly plausible - last ditch attempt to avoid recession in last few days of this quarter - especially if it turns out UK avoids recession by a whisker when figures released.

It's utter bollocks to me, when has a recession, as in the contraction of the economy, been measured by the tax take? Even it that was so then £32m is a pittance in that scale anyway. It's not even the cost of top footballer. Seriously, I haven't a clue at what the government have been playing at lately but if people believe queuing for fuel is some part of a grand scheme to avoid a recession then they may as well line up with the idiots trying to fill their tanks up unecessarily. Their may be a case in trying to create diversionary headlines but anything else is fantasy imo.
  • Anonymous
    Kenjaja1 wrote:
    Kenjaja1 wrote:

Quick! Puke into an empty petrol tank!

Fakkin' take you all on.......................blaaarrgghhh.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    How can this possibly have raised an 'extra £32 million'? Surely people just filled up earlier than they normally would. Everyone didn't go out and drive an extra 300 miles today. It money spent today that would have been spent in the coming days anyway. It's not 'extra' money.
  • Jez mon
    It's extra, as in the spending wouldn't have happened within this qtr otherwise. FWIW the original post was made wit tongue firmly in cheek.