Panic buying

upperoilcan
upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
It's started in here already,Petrol stations are closing and all sorts....

Funny times indeed.(Not) :wink:
Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.

Comments

• CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Unfortunately everyone at work knows I can and do sometimes cycle in... Shot myself in the foot there!

Can't believe the mentality of it.. Yes a MINORITY of the drivers have voted to strike, but they have to give 7 days notice which as of time typing this they haven't. When they do this then panic!
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    *IF* there's a strike then Unite have to give 7 days notice, apparently. Why are people panicking now?!?!

I can see most garage owners sticking prices up, then taking a good few weeks to get them back down once all this is over. My local Shell garage done this the last time there was a scare like this.

I do about 400 miles a week for my commute to work so yes, could really do without the hassle but my boss has already said I can work from home, if fuel starts getting scarce, so I'll be out on my bike at 5 every night :D

Those people who've been seen at the pumps filling Jerry cans need to calm themselves.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,955
    Stupid stupid bastards. I swear the collective intelligence of this country dips more and more every year at an ever increasing rate.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Stupid stupid bastards. I swear the collective intelligence of this country dips more and more every year at an ever increasing rate.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    We've had a cabinet minister (Francis Maude) advising the public to stock up on fuel using jerry cans. What a Tw@t.

Okay, people didn't have to follow that advice, but it's certainly gone some way to fuelling (sorry) the panic, perhaps the Government should release a disclaimer saying that Government advice should not be followed. :roll:

The older I get, the better I was.

• rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Francis Maude - yes you Sir! are a complete PILLOCK. That is all. :shock:
  • suze
    suze Posts: 302

+1 :roll:
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style
  • People are panicking now to get ahead of the curve of general panic, in which the petrol pumps will already be empty.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Noticed our local BP garage had no diesel last night. That's bloody handy; I have to collect my son from Uni tomorrow and then get to the airport on Monday.

Perhaps Francis F@cking Maude would like to pop round with a couple of jerry cans and help me out....
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917

Spot on.......we are all Lemmings :roll:

Bloody Cameron and Co should be strung up by their testi's for their recent comments........nobheads :evil:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    aye, local BP here is outta diesel an low on petrol, queues were down the road

there isnt even a strike yet is there??
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    theres enough fuel - the goverment told local councils aboutthe 2 strikes - one planned for the end of april - 2 months ago- theyve had 2 months to stock pile. Its just the governments way of instilling panic in the masses. REsist people - get out on your bikes, never been a better time - and yes that includes you fat man with 3 tubes of pringles at asda petrol station.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • upperoilcan

^^^^^^This ^^^^^^^^
    Natural selection is failing on a colossal scale.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Anyone noticed it's almost Financial Year End....... :wink:

Nice to have an extra few million in revenue flooding in just before the books are closed.

[/cynical]
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425

“Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!”
    George Carlin quote
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Stupid stupid bastards. I swear the collective intelligence of this country dips more and more every year at an ever increasing rate.

^^^^^^This ^^^^^^^^

Totally agree. Common sense people, common sense!
  • suze

^^^^^^This ^^^^^^^^

Common sense....yeah the lowest "common" denominator seems to be taking over.
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    To use a Clarkson-type response, these utterly stupid people should be dragged out of their cars and shot. Then maybe the 'stupid' gene won't get passed on.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    It will all calm down after the first putz manages to melt his own face off while trying to dispense petrol from plastic milk bottles.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Now given that both Maude and Cameron suggested filling up and keep filling up to keep your tanks full is it just me that thinks they are deliberately trying to instill a sense of panic. Especially as this morning the motoring minister on BBC Breakfast blamed the Unite union for the panic buying!!!!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    suze wrote:

^^^^^^This ^^^^^^^^

Nearly 9 million watch Eastenders, and you want common sense?

The older I get, the better I was.

• Kenjaja1
    Kenjaja1 Posts: 744
    I would not want anyone on here to think for one moment that I am the kind of irresponsible person who goes around starting rumours but …
    Have you heard that the union representing drivers who deliver new bikes to bike shops will be going on strike from 15th April?

There that should start a bit of panic buying and boost the sales of many LBS’s. I’ll collect my commission later
    :D
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
    Yea people are just being stupid. I had to queue yesterday at the petrol station. My fuel light was on so I really did need to fill up but people are just filling up for the sake of it. Although I did fill my tank just in case.

On another note I was robbed yesterday too. Although they have found out who did it which is a good thing. Pump number 4 was the culprit.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • [Cynic] Whipping up a feeding frenzy at the end of this quarter in an attempt to stop the economy sliding back into recession, eh? [/Cynic]
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • suze
    Capt Slog wrote:
    suze wrote:

^^^^^^This ^^^^^^^^

Nearly 9 million watch Eastenders, and you want common sense?

Nuff said ! :(
  • Don't care, I'm going to Spain for 2 weeks, sort it out amongst yourselves.

Oh, the spanish airports ... are on... strike.....
    oh...
  • upperoilcan
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^LOL^^^^^^^^^
    And the greedy buggers @ Shell have whacked on an extra 3p a litre at the local station here ive just been informed :evil:
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Achamore
    Achamore Posts: 34
    ... don't know if it was just me but when I went past our local Tesco it had a queue of OAP laden Honda Civics waiting their turn.
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Fuel panic! Fuel panic! Fuel panic!!!!!!!

Everyone stopped looking at the corrosive and corrupt Tory party funding? Job done.
    Purveyor of "up" :)