G-W ***Spoiler***

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Sounds like a fantastic win by Lizzie Armitstead in the women's race, looking more and more likely that she'll be the protected rider for Team GB in the Olympics don't you think? What's Nicole Cooke up to these days, haven't heard about her getting any results lately.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Seriously, I mean if you think about all the riders you can remember from days gone by, I bet the vast majority of them you can think off did not hide, ride wheels then pop up to win. Any Legend, created that from champion riding.

Like Cippo? There have always been sprinters, and i Imagine there were always people complaining about them. I know your definition of Champion is not the same as everyone else's but a lot of people would say 20 TdF wins is champion riding....

However, none of this helps relive the tedious repetition and boredom, not to mention irrelevance, of these conversations...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    There should be one thread made for FF to declare his definitive verdict on the winners.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    ddraver wrote:
    Seriously, I mean if you think about all the riders you can remember from days gone by, I bet the vast majority of them you can think off did not hide, ride wheels then pop up to win. Any Legend, created that from champion riding.

Like Cippo? There have always been sprinters, and i Imagine there were always people complaining about them. I know your definition of Champion is not the same as everyone else's but a lot of people would say 20 TdF wins is champion riding....

However, none of this helps relive the tedious repetition and boredom, not to mention irrelevance, of these conversations...

'...majority of rides...'. Ok. Put another way: some you remember will not be the type of riders I am on about. I nearly mentioned Cipo to illustrate that...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    frenchfighter - do you go on to football forums to criticise Leo Messi for not defending?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Can't believe were back on "sprinters aren't proper cyclists and their wins don't count" again.

It's simple, people. If you're up against a sprinter, drop him. If you can't, then tough.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Can't believe were back on "sprinters aren't proper cyclists and their wins don't count" again.

It's simple, people. If you're up against a sprinter, drop him. If you can't, then tough.

Well done ta. Next conversation.

Strava is not Zen.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Cycling is pretty simple. Someone draws a line on the road and the first one to cross the line wins. And that's it. There is no right or wrong way to achieve this. No better or worse way.

If you want the one with most flair or panache or artistry to win, then might I suggest gymnastics or synchronised swimming.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    RichN95 wrote:
    Cycling is pretty simple. Someone draws a line on the road and the first one to cross the line wins. And that's it. There is no right or wrong way to achieve this. No better or worse way.

If you want the one with most flair or panache or artistry to win, then might I suggest gymnastics or synchronised swimming.

I've always distrusted sports where points are awarded for artistic merit. Ski-jumping, for instance. Jumper A jumps longer than jumper B, but jumper B wins because he looked better in the air... WTF?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Hmm surely the difference between a 3rd cat chipper and a pro race is that in pro races you have a team around you working on your behalf and earning you the right to sit in and go for the sprint? You could argue that HTC and now Sky have to do more than their fair share to secure a win for Cav. I think all this is proving Iain's point about getting more comments when Cav doesn't win than when he does!
  • Cavendish does his best Norman Wisdom impersonation at the start...

gent_wevelgem_385_600.jpg

errr, Mr. Grimsdale!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Boonen profits again from a strong team.

Makes a big difference!!
  • rick_chasey
    Isn't there another thread for the chipper argument?

A bigger win than Friday - a good length over Sagan.

It shows - he still has a sprint when the course suits him. He gets over the cobbles and through the sh!tty roads that bit fresher than the other sprinters (if we're still counting Boonen as a sprinter).
  • rick_chasey
    Quick Step win 3 in a row :O.
  • Quick Step win 3 in a row :O.

Counts for nothing if they don't win on the 1st or the 8th!
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:

For the results? Then yeah. For my enjoyment? Then no.

I don't care overly much what the result is, I watch to be entertained and enjoy the process and story of the race before reaching the finish line. If it is capped off by someone who I deem worthy of the win, then that is better for my enjoyment, if not then whatever.

If the vast majority of wins were won by sprinters or wheel suckers after the peloton rides together to the finish line, I don't think I or anyone else would watch much.

Cycling has so many reasons to watch it other than the results and it is for those reasons that no other sport comes close and I don't follow any other.

The flipside is: if you don't care how a win is created or the efforts within the race, then maybe you and others should not watch the race and just look at the results and update your factual databases.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Rick, it must be catching - I was never really a big fan of Boonen, but just lately i fear i may be falling in love with him. Classy rider.
  • rick_chasey
    Pfft, fair weather fans.

I'll say this though.

Steegmans has been crucial in every single victory this season for Boonen.

I mean, really really crucial.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited March 2012
    Isn't there another thread for the chopper...

Off you go then Mr Mod ;)

Call it - Iain and Frenchie's Sprinters Suck Thread - and make it a sticky, then they can all be put I'm there...bit like CN do with Larry discussions.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    FF- surely you must appreciate that every race cannot be won with what you would call panache.

If it was this would soon become dull. Someone said it earlier but the joy about cycling is that different types of riders will win different types of races.

Its the same if you look at other sports. Not every goal in football will be a 30 yard screamer into the top corner by Peter Crouch. Not every try in rugby will be a flowing move involving all 15 players on the pitch. Its the chance that these things can happen that make people watch the sport and the appreciation that these moments of joy are few and far between that make them worth savouring.
  • rick_chasey
    Canc definitely made the post Kemmel ride more interesting. The headwind ultimately played against him.

He's easily the best rider around in the world at the moment in terms of his pure cycling ability for his size.

Must be the favourite on a more selective course like Roubaix and Flanders.

For all the criticism we have of his race-craft the past season and a half, and they're pretty justified - he sure as hell makes it an exciting race.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    Ah, Cancellara – silly question. How does he go about winning Flanders and/or P-R?? He’s surely going to be heavily marked – a case of ABC.....or so it seems...Or will they decide ABB anybody but Boonen?? Which I can’t see. Or have Radioshack/Cancellara got new tactics they haven’t shown yet?
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • rick_chasey
    AndyRAC wrote:
    Ah, Cancellara – silly question. How does he go about winning Flanders and/or P-R?? He’s surely going to be heavily marked – a case of ABC.....or so it seems...Or will they decide ABB anybody but Boonen?? Which I can’t see. Or have Radioshack/Cancellara got new tactics they haven’t shown yet?

Canc will ride with Boonen and try and drop him. He's got quite good at it over the past few years.

If he doesn't, get gets a podium and World Tour points for Radioshack.

Ballan will be happy to follow Boonen like he normally is, and will, if he has the legs (doubtful) try and do the same as above.

Sep will also be happy to ride with Boonen, and take his chance on beating him.

Everyone's aim will be to get rid of the QS guys as quickly as possible.

Boonen is very beatable without teammates - as we've seen over the past 4 or so years.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    AndyRAC wrote:

Canc will ride with Boonen and try and drop him. He's got quite good at it over the past few years.

If he doesn't, get gets a podium and World Tour points for Radioshack.

Ballan will be happy to follow Boonen like he normally is, and will, if he has the legs (doubtful) try and do the same as above.

Everyone's aim will be to get rid of the QS guys as quickly as possible.

Boonen is very beatable without teammates - as we've seen over the past 4 or so years.

Is Chav back enough to strength to be a real threat in his habitual break? If so, he might get a team-mate-less Canc to chase enough that Tom can keep with him on the Muur...

---

Aaaargh! I just remembered again.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Sep will also be happy to ride with Boonen, and take his chance on beating him.

Thought Sep was too young?
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey

Ah, probably.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

Ah, probably.

Too young in the sense that Sagan was also supposed to be "too young" to be mixing it up at the finish at San Remo?
    Or too inexperienced?

FWIW, Vanmarcke is a year-and-a-half older than Sagan.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'