n+0 Titanium?

13»

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I think with a MTB the requirements in terms of yield strength are so much greater that the design is always going to be very stiff. Then, as you've got suspension systems on the bike, you're into the mass/spring response of the frame and rider; steel would be the least responsive as it's going to be the heaviest, so it's also going to give the worst ride.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It does seem to be the case with steel frames recently, especially with the new CEN tests. In the 90s, cromo frames for 2.5 inch forks were often under 4lbs. Today are much heavier.

Conversely alu frames have got even lighter. Steel and ti in the MTB market is starting to dwindle (top end steel)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    spasypaddy wrote:
    having ridden three different bikes over the past 24 hours. i can definitely say that each of my bikes ride very very differently

But is that due to frame material, design, fork, wheels, tyres, contact points or what?

I'm happy to conceed that for a MTB, the suspension and knobbly tyres have a bigger influence on ride, but for a road bike the frame material used definitely alters the ride characteristics.
    bike one yesterday and bike two had the same wheels (swapped them between them). different everything else.

bike two and then three were ridden today and had different wheels to bike one and two last night but the same wheels between two and three. same saddles on two and three.