Carrera Kraken *Update Page 5

12346»

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I'm lucky enough in that I can get a shower etc once I get in. Couldn't manage it otherwise!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Lot on mixin in this thread...
  • Greer_
    A lot has happened/changed!
  • Greer_
    Thought I'd treat myself to a few new shiny bits seeing as my first pay check came through 8) (needed something to get me through the last 10 days solid of work looking after the World Police and Fire Games people). I'm very impressed with the new bars and stem (Ritchey WCS 4Axis Stem and Easton EC70 bar), combined they weigh less than the old bars on their own! Still need to take them for a ride though but they'll hopefully get rid of some wrist pain I think the backsweep on the old bars was causing. Also decided to try some Fenwicks Stealth lube, so far so good but again it's too early to say. I got some bargaintastic Fizik R3's as well to go with Shimano 105 pedals to get rid of the spd's on my road bike. This used to be a budget build .... until I started being able to afford what I wanted! :lol:

9467739494_c9f1a4c502_z.jpg
    9467738914_3d584e0fde_n.jpg1311845993544-18zzvj3b4vk6h-399-75.jpg
    9467737294_564b8c6784_z.jpg

I don't want to start a new thread, so does anyone have any recommendations for a new grippy front tyre? My Nobby Nic is starting to disintegrate, so I'm thinking of getting a Rocket Ron as I want a tyre with a smaller volume, but I'm worried about the lighter carcass. Oh and TheRookie, don't recommend the Panaracers you love!! :lol:

I also came 8th in my last race (albeit S4), but compared to when I was finishing 30th at the start of the season, I'm well chuffed! :D Plan on moving up a category for next year.

972231_3249817820783_1644396775_n.jpg

Update over!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That bar stem combo is very light - nice! (mines about 25g heavier, but then I only spent £25 on the bits!)

By the way it's a pay cheque in the UK, check in the US! Pet hate of mine after my daughters school English department sent out a mailshot for a trip asking for checks...were baffled when I asked them what they wanted me to check.....

Front tyre - for general riding it has to be an XC Pro, for what you do, then a Ron up front (which is what I have on for summer) is great.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Ron for deffo on the front, just works in the majority of situations... something fast rolling on the back, grip isn't quite as important, maybe a ralph or Bonty xr3 or if you are a jedi with a light touch and the terrain suits try a Furious Fred
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Greer_
    Im very pleased with the bars, was expensive though! Sorry haha, I knew what you'd recommend though! Yeah I like the racing Ralph on the rear so im keeping it, looks like I'll get a rocket Ron up front, most likely ORC as I still do a lot of tarmac. Cheers!
  • The Rookie
    Ron/Ralph combo is very popular, or Ron/Ron when it's a bit wetter (maybe an idea for NI!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_
    The Rookie wrote:
    Ron/Ralph combo is very popular, or Ron/Ron when it's a bit wetter (maybe an idea for NI!)

I'll give it a go, see how I get on, ran Nic/Ralph all through last winter and was grand
  • Greer_
    Last update before it become 'not a carrera'. Couldn't resist but post a picture of it before it gets rebuilt ....

9613569299_4c0fa3ea4f_z.jpg
  • The Rookie
    Cool, I reckon that must be the second best Carrera on the forum!!!! ;-) ;-) ;-)
  • Greer_
    Nahh its the second lightest! No way is it the second best though ;)
  • The Rookie
    Fair do, I think it's second best, but if you only think it's lower than that, maybe 3rd or fourth best then who am I to argue?
  • Greer_
    What can I say, I'm modest!! Something you're evidently not! Haha :lol:
  • The Rookie
    Now where have I said anything that was immodest?