Carrera Kraken *Update Page 5

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Well I got my wheels back about a month ago, and there's already play in the rear hub. Not best pleased, but there's no way I'm giving them the wheels back after a 3 week wait :evil: wouldn't recommend their customer service to anyone.

Not much has changed spec wise, but I've picked up a Garmin 200, joined a local club and started to get into racing. The night runs are brilliant fun in a group, but I'm still doing a fair bit of cycling on my own as I'm not fast enough for the weekend runs yet! Entering the UXC and SCX rounds over here, 2 races over Easter. I don't expect to place overly well, but even a top 20 would be nice for the first year of racing ahem, S4 :P One thing I've noticed is there are hardly any 19/20 year olds that do xc ... its all either kids or men in their 30's and above! The only ones who can afford it :lol: I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who races/does a bit of training to see what they get up to - i'm just trying to put the miles in. You also very rarely see any XC Race builds on here!

I'll try and get a new clean pic up once all this horrible weather blows over. I can't get out, so thought I'd write a little update for anyone interested!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Greer_ wrote:
    Well I got my wheels back about a month ago, and there's already play in the rear hub. Not best pleased, but there's no way I'm giving them the wheels back after a 3 week wait :evil: wouldn't recommend their customer service to anyone.
    Superstar rear hubs are easy to DIY service, have you tried just tightening up the outer locking nuts? You just need 2 5mm allen keys.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_
    I'll try tomorrow. Is it that easy? I tried before but the two allen keys wouldn't fit in the end caps for some reason Wait .... do the end caps come off first before you use the allen keys to tighten the lock nuts? End caps, as in what I believe are the QR adaptors. From what I can remember, the end caps seemed to have cone spanner slots on them ....
  • The Rookie
    On my hubs the two outer gaps screw onto the central axle section,if they are loose and one bearing has moved slightly you'll get side to side play. Just put the 5mm in each end and tighten against each other, worse case, remove and make sure the bearings are tapped fully home (17mm socket on mine).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Greer_ wrote:
    One thing I've noticed is there are hardly any 19/20 year olds that do xc ... its all either kids or men in their 30's and above! The only ones who can afford it :lol: I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who races/does a bit of training to see what they get up to - i'm just trying to put the miles in. You also very rarely see any XC Race builds on here!

All the cool kids race Enduro these days :wink:

I used to dabble in XC in my early teens just as I was getting into the sport, mainly because it's what my dad was doing, had a few decent results, was 4th in a Midland superseries event and 27th at a NPS race at Sherwood, but it wasn't much fun and I got bored of it and rode more for fun, though I did do an open race back at Sherwood about 5 years ago, was running top 6 or so til I punctured on the second lap, gutted because I was feeling really good and was a head of the old man who eventually finished 3rd, so a podium was on the cards! :(

Hopefully once the weather picks up my plan is get some serious training in for the Crudcatcher coast to coast, then next year once I finish Uni I'll focus on Gravity Enduros and the Mega.

It depends on the person if XC racing appeals to them, too many whippets and too much lycra for me though!
  • Greer_
    It is very fast paced! I got into it through my girlfriend and her dad, almost beat him in the last race! I'm only racing because I enjoy it, if it starts taking the fun out of going for a ride, I'll stop!
  • Greer_
    First, any more tips on tightening up the rear hub?

Now, some new pics as promised. First one is from my ride today - no snow near my house, then as soon as I get to the trails there's almost a foot of it!

8586885096_b3d9dd3418_z.jpg

8586885594_942799a9b7_z.jpg

New XT bottom bracket fitted, and I still love the look of the blue rotor bolts! Gears were skipping like crazy today, looks like new jockey wheels, at least, are needed, not sure if cassette/chain needs changing too.

Overshoes are starting to rip on me now, so any recommendations for a pair that will last? Otherwise I'll get another pair of the Planet X ones. And any cheap winter gloves that work? I know it's spring, but my hands are really starting to feel the cold!
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    That bike's looking good, nice job

Greer_ wrote:
    Overshoes are starting to rip on me now, so any recommendations for a pair that will last? Otherwise I'll get another pair of the Planet X ones. And any cheap winter gloves that work? I know it's spring, but my hands are really starting to feel the cold!

Define cheap...
  • Greer_
    Cheers :D

Probably about £20 max. I've no idea if those On-One/Planet X gloves are worth a look.
  • The Rookie
    Greer_ wrote:
    First, any more tips on tightening up the rear hub?

Gears were skipping like crazy today, looks like new jockey wheels, at least, are needed, not sure if cassette/chain needs changing too.
    Ahem
    On my hubs the two outer gaps screw onto the central axle section,if they are loose and one bearing has moved slightly you'll get side to side play. Just put the 5mm in each end and tighten against each other, worse case, remove and make sure the bearings are tapped fully home (17mm socket on mine).

Unlilkely the Jockeys are causing skipping, but ally jockeys (such as J&L on ebay) are lighter than Shimano OE.
  • Greer_
    Sorry, totally missed your post! I'll go out and give it another look now, will update on how I get on!
  • Greer_
    What am I missing .....

8586474597_c7e74e93c0_n.jpg8586477243_40e2069a98_n.jpg

This is the end cap that I can't figure out how to get off - same on both sides. 5mm allen key doesn't fit, and there's cone spanner notches on either side, but I have none. How do I get these end caps off?!

EDIT: When I put the QR skewer through the hub, not with it in the frame, should there be play in the axle? Reading about online ... QR end caps are removed with 5mm allen keys, 10mm thru axle end caps are removed with cone spanners .... what is going on?! Is it possible the wrong end caps have been fitted and I haven't realised? I know the rear dropouts are 10mm, but I'm guessing I'd have noticed right away if they were the wrong end caps ...

On the SS hub service guide, it says either 5mm allen keys, or cone spanners are needed to remove them. I'm dead confused over whether the bearings are just shot, or the wrong end caps are fitted now.
  • The Rookie
    Please see post in your WS&T thread.....
  • Greer_
    Some shiny new bike bits arrived last week :D (as well as a brand new SRAM X9 rear mech as I bent my last one on the way to the start line in a previous race)

8741297064_c99d93f418_z.jpg

My workshop (bedroom) at uni -

8740177443_c8dd75145d_z.jpg

^^ That was my attempt at servicing the hubs ... didn't go very well! Got the rear bearings out, managed to press a new one in using my makeshift headset press, but couldn't get the freehub side bearing in straight, to the point where the hub started getting damaged :? so the wheel is now in my LBS getting sorted, should get it back later. Don't get me started on the front hub .... couldn't even get those bearings out .... absolutely no movement in the axle sleeve to get behind the bearing so looks like that's another job for the LBS soon. Always like to do fixes myself but I don't want to wreck anything!

This is the freehub gouging, not as bad as I thought, but there's an alloy spider on the XT cassette so it shouldn't get much worse -

8741295392_04055c69d5_z.jpg

On a positive though, I came 14th in my last race, (out of 40-something) so I'm well chuffed with that after only a year(ish) of proper cycling.

Wish the bike would just work so I could actually ride it!!! :lol:
  • Greer_
    Please see post in your WS&T thread.....

Bit late, but it was cone spanners I needed to remove the rear end caps! :roll: The front one's just pop off!
  • The Rookie
    Yup, some are cone flats, some internal allen key.......

Sounds like its going well and you are using your Student Loan properly!
  • Greer_
    Got my wheel back and it's all fixed :D Will just save myself the hassle and leave them my front wheel next week, was only a tenner! Just need to sort out chain length, re-index, and I'm ready to go.
    Sounds like its going well and you are using your Student Loan properly!

You'd never guess I have an exam tomorrow from all this! Need something to keep me sane .... but I got a job sorted for the summer, so I'm looking at getting a Specialized Allez Sport for the road :) Unless anyone has a better recommendation for around £600 (I get 20% off at my LBS)

I'm only drinking some of it .... you don't want to see what's in the other corner of my room! :wink:
  • The Rookie
    A Road bike......you going to shave your legs and buy Raffa kit as well?????

If you want to have a bike for the road and use it as training for the MTB I'd get a flat barred Hybrid, Mine is kitted out with mostly MTB finishing kit so I have spares compatability with the MTB, I run no spacers and a flipped stem for a low aero position I use the bars either side of the stem and not the grips, great pracrtice for an MTB.
  • Greer_
    It's a toss up between a new mountain bike, or a road bike - really don't fancy a hybrid! I want it really just to stretch the legs, put in some miles, and get home from my job each day (16 miles one way) - which I can do no bother on the mountain bike but wouldn't mind an extra bit of speed!

The other thing is, with my budget, there's no point getting another mountain bike as it won't be better than what I already have - but I should earn enough for a few nice new upgrades :D
  • Greer_
    And it's certainly not the worst looking bike I've ever seen! 8) Would prefer to have 10 speed tiagra though ..... and maybe new wheels .... its starting already!! :lol:

large-allez%20sport%202013.jpg
  • The Rookie
    If you must chave your legs look at the Carrera Virtuoso or Triban3 from Decathlon, but a fast Hybrid works just as well, skinny tyres, flipped stem etc....
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Some good bargains to be had second hand on the road, stuff doesn't get as knackered. I've got an Allez like that one for winter use, it's not a bad bike, I'd perhaps try and get a Boardman carbon second hand or something though. Cube are excellent value too.

I'd always choose a road bike over a hybrid, flat bars just feel horrible on the road IMO.
  • Greer_
    Legs are staying hairy ... I'll still be using and racing the mountain bike! No ambitions to race on the road as of yet, just seems too fast and dangerous. I do like the allez, and I should get 10% free accessories so new helmet and mtb shoes are on the list! I'll just be putting M520's or the like on it. I'd rather buy from my LBS because they support the club, and they're dead helpful when I go in with problems, just like getting the wheel bearings sorted.

and we get good discount! :D

They stock Giant, and Specialized - so another option would be the Giant Defy 2 or 3, the frame isn't as nice though! :roll:
  • Greer_
    Went over the bars today when the chain slipped on the big ring :? no idea how it happened and it didn't happen again so I hope that ring is okay! New middle ring on the way, and a few new pimpy bits should hopefully arrive tomorrow to cheer me up though :D

Have my eye on some new disc rotors now thanks to njee on another thread ....
  • Greer_
    The new addition:

8982519898_bc7778d92c_z.jpg

8982539756_37b15f1d34_z.jpg

Stole the M520's from my mountain bike for it, so I now have some shiny new XT pedals to put on it :D

All for a 16 mile commute each way everyday over the summer! Considering doing my first sportive next weekend as well - 60 odd miles.
  • The Rookie
    You'll be shaving legs and wearing lycra next......and it's not even a carrera!
  • Greer_
  • The Rookie
    Argh......no.........

At least your too young to be a MAMIL!

My commuter
    20130609_120005_zps825ac763.jpg
    Carrera Gryphon frame, Marin Hybrid forks 26" disc wheels running 1.5" slicks, 1x9 (46 x 11-26 - just wide enough to cope with my commute!) with gripshift and CX crosstop levers to minimise bar clutter, under 9.75Kg before adding the pannier/rack which loaded add 6Kg to the bike!

Ridden in Baggies ONLY!
  • Greer_
    Haha middle aged man in lycra? No one tell you lycra makes you faster?! I'm just glad I miss all the lunatic cyclists and drivers - gonna be leaving the house every day at 6am! Ill be carrying that much on my back .... no pannier mounts but might have a look for a clip on one ....

Its taking a while for me to get used to riding on the hoods, prefer using the drops as its comfy and have more leverage on the brakes!
  • The Rookie
    That's a MAMIL yes....

Lycra only makes you faster if you are conned into thinking it does.

I used to carry stuff on my back....wasn't popular in the office as I walked in with my back black from sweat...panniers rule!

My last drops I sold in 1989, although the flats on the commuter are about 3.5" below the saddle height.