"An absolutely fabulous TT - the Beacon Little Mountain"

Comments

• davep7
    davep7 Posts: 5
    I'm in, number 118.. A two minute head start over Matt Clinton is not going to be anywhere near enough, I could be last man on the road by the time I reach the first turn!

It's by far my favourite tt of the year. More to it than just being fit. Pacing, gear selection and correct lines on the downhills could save or cost minutes. I've ridden the course many times and I'm convinced that there is as much time to be saved on the down hills as there is on the ups.

Anyone who has a garmin gps or similar can up load their ride to strava to see where they gained / lost time on their rivals.

Here is a link to my last training ride round the course. http://app.strava.com/activities/6708833

Good luck to all who have entered, save me some cake at the finish!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I just hope Ruth prays to the weather gods, looking like it might be a damp one.

Now what tyres to put on, and what wheels to use :?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I'm almost in tears at the frustration of missing this :(
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • bexslack
    bexslack Posts: 81
    Could someone please tell me what time I'm off. My startsheet must be lost in the post.

Are the women all going off together?
  • SBezza
    Bex, you are number 70, off at 09:10, and yes all ladies together in the middle of the field. You are obviously scratch for the ladies.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135
    Surely three people have dropped out by now? Been looking forward to riding for a few weeks. It's the problem with TTs, if it were a road race I would just turn up on the day and know that in all likelihood I would get a ride as 3rd reserve but with people having starting times this isn't possible with a TT and if there's a bit of rain I can see a lot of people crying off on the morning. Come on, some of you drop out - you know you want to!
  • bexslack
    SBezza wrote:
    Bex, you are number 70, off at 09:10, and yes all ladies together in the middle of the field. You are obviously scratch for the ladies.

Thanks SBezza. See you Sunday!

Hope to see you too Pross. Fingers crossed you get a ride.... although when you're halfway up Ankerdine, you'll be wondering why you bothered.....
  • SBezza
    Pross

I would be very surprised if you didn't know before the weekend, looking at most events I have done this year, 10% of the entries as DNS's is not abnormal at all. I hope you do get a ride.
  • Pross
    SBezza wrote:
    Pross

I would be very surprised if you didn't know before the weekend, looking at most events I have done this year, 10% of the entries as DNS's is not abnormal at all. I hope you do get a ride.

Yep, I'm sure if people drop out in advance then Ruth will be letting me know (she sent me a letter apologising that I was a reserve and has said she will contact me when people drop out). The problem is, from when I've run TTs in the past, most people haven't got the courtesy to inform the organiser that they won't be starting prior to the event. The results sheets always used to list in order of finished riders, DNF, DNS (apologies) and DNS with the number of apologies being very low. If you challenge anyone about it they will always say something like they came down ill that morning. Hopefully the plea on the start sheet for advance notice will be heeded as there's quite a few reserves. It seems the event is a huge success this year in particular which is really good and I'm happy for Ruth and Beacon RC, I just wish it was someone else on the reserve list :lol:

I need to get my head around the online entry system too as other than a section for your best time at a similar distance I couldn't see any options for recording your best at set distances. I might have made the starting 120 if I'd put in my 25, 50 and 100 times (probably not though as they are slow and years old!!).
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Pross wrote:
    SBezza wrote:
    Pross

Yep, I'm sure if people drop out in advance then Ruth will be letting me know (she sent me a letter apologising that I was a reserve and has said she will contact me when people drop out). The problem is, from when I've run TTs in the past, most people haven't got the courtesy to inform the organiser that they won't be starting prior to the event. The results sheets always used to list in order of finished riders, DNF, DNS (apologies) and DNS with the number of apologies being very low. If you challenge anyone about it they will always say something like they came down ill that morning. Hopefully the plea on the start sheet for advance notice will be heeded as there's quite a few reserves. It seems the event is a huge success this year in particular which is really good and I'm happy for Ruth and Beacon RC, I just wish it was someone else on the reserve list :lol:

I need to get my head around the online entry system too as other than a section for your best time at a similar distance I couldn't see any options for recording your best at set distances. I might have made the starting 120 if I'd put in my 25, 50 and 100 times (probably not though as they are slow and years old!!).

I can't understand the system either Pross, I only have two Open times, both at 10miles, one from two seasons ago and one from earlier this season and I'm in?!! You almost had my place as I crashed out on my first 25TT on sunday after a car uturned on a roundabout without signalling and forced me off. Been out today for a spin and everything is ok(unfortunatly for you)
  • SBezza
    The online, and now the 2012 entry form doesn't ask for all the set distances, only the best time recorded at the distance entered, or a similar distance. It is meant to simplify things, whether or not is another issue.

What you should have done was put a 50 time down, as this is the closest in distance to the event, It would be very close to the event time as well.

This is how Ruth stated how entries would be selected on if a full field.

The priority order for entries will be as follows:

Previous finishers of the Little Mountain TT
    Fastest rides in a 50-mile TT
    Fastest rides in a 25-mile TT
    Fastest rides in a 10-mile TT
    Complete novices to TTs
  • Pross
    SBezza wrote:
    The online, and now the 2012 entry form doesn't ask for all the set distances, only the best time recorded at the distance entered, or a similar distance. It is meant to simplify things, whether or not is another issue.

What you should have done was put a 50 time down, as this is the closest in distance to the event, It would be very close to the event time as well.

This is how Ruth stated how entries would be selected on if a full field.

The priority order for entries will be as follows:

Previous finishers of the Little Mountain TT
    Fastest rides in a 50-mile TT
    Fastest rides in a 25-mile TT
    Fastest rides in a 10-mile TT
    Complete novices to TTs

I saw that and have no problem at all with it but the entry form is a bit confusing (first time I've used it). I didn't think a flat 50 counted as a similar distance so left it blank thinking there'd be a PB section later on. I'll know for next time (although I doubt a 50 time from '94 counts for much!).
  • bexslack
    I've found my startsheet! It was in the recycling bin with the Telegraph supplements. A certain spouse is in the doghouse. :evil: (I was on my way to the Lake District for a race when Saturday's post arrived!)

I did the BLM with nothing bigger than a 23T last year and struggled. This year, I'm older and wiser.... :)

PS - the bike I'm on on the front of the startsheet got stolen earlier in the year. If you happen to see someone trying to sell a black, medium, Planet X stealth with a Cobb saddle on it, let me know!...
  • markos1963
    Of course we all know that the weather Gods will shine on the day but what if it is raining? Over here where we race on the drag strips of dual carriageway it's always 'rain stops play'. Does the race go ahead?
  • Pross
    markos1963 wrote:
    Of course we all know that the weather Gods will shine on the day but what if it is raining? Over here where we race on the drag strips of dual carriageway it's always 'rain stops play'. Does the race go ahead?

I'm sure it would go ahead providing it's safe. Drag strips have bigger problems due to the spray and high speed traffic.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Pross wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

I'm sure it would go ahead providing it's safe. Drag strips have bigger problems due to the spray and high speed traffic.
    Yes, Pross is right. Never say never, but it's extremely unlikely the whole event would be abandoned. If it's windy and raining then those conditions of themselves wouldn't make the course unsafe. As usual it will be up to each rider to make sure that they ride in a safe manner - but then that is the same as every other race or ride you go on.

Ruth
  • Pross
    I'm in now - thanks Ruth for letting me know and thanks to the rider who dropped out the having the courtesy to notify in advance. I should be an easy catch for whoever is off at 51 (and every other number up to 60 probably!). Out of interest just how steep are the climbs? I'm trying to decide whether to go for a 12-25 or a 12-27!
  • markos1963
    Pross wrote:
    I'm in now - thanks Ruth for letting me know and thanks to the rider who dropped out the having the courtesy to notify in advance. I should be an easy catch for whoever is off at 51 (and every other number up to 60 probably!). Out of interest just how steep are the climbs? I'm trying to decide whether to go for a 12-25 or a 12-27!

Great news Pross, looking forward to seeing you there.

My fellow club member, Will Bamber No21, who is a local hill climb champion and has ridden the hills on the course reckons a compact with a 12-25 will be ok! For him to say that means it must be pretty steep.
  • Pross
    Been trying to work out who the forumites are on there. I think I've got them all except elevensprocket and possibly Peejay78 (reckon he's number 113). Karla is almost certain to be seeing me on the course with only 6 minutes to take out of me and I wouldn't be surprised to see Bexslack before the end either!
  • davep7
    Out of interest just how steep are the climbs? I'm trying to decide whether to go for a 12-25 or a 12-27!

When I did my pb time a couple of years ago my bottom gear was 42/23, on a tt bike with a disc rear wheel.. that's tough on Ankerdine, but ok for the rest. This year I am trying a different tactic and I'm using 39 / 23 as bottom gear and my lightest spoked wheels, still on a tt bike. I plan to start out a little faster and hopefully the slightly lower gear will bail me out when I get to Ankerdine.

It's worth pointing out that the weather forecast is shocking and it's almost certainly going to be wet so rock hard tyre pressures may not be the best way forward.
  • GBY73
    GBY73 Posts: 20
    Very long time lurker here. I'm also debating whether to ride a 25 or 27, especially as there may be some wheel slip given the wet conditions. I'm also torn between using my TT bike or road bike, I did a 50k hilly last week on the TT bike and my glutes were very uncomfortable for a while afterwards whenever I tried to sit down!
  • Pross
    I've chucked the 27 on so I can stay in the saddle longer if it's slippery and also in case there's a gale force headwind on the hills!
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    starting to think tomorrow is going to be madness now....
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • markos1963
    Just got back in from going around the course. Really worried that a 50/34-12/25 combo isn't going to be enough for me! Plenty of people walking up Ankerdine with their bikes has given me the willies. The TT bike is going to stay in the car tomorrow some, of the descents are fast and technical and I don't think a TT bike in the wind and wet will give me any advantage at all. The same goes for deep section carbon tubs it's going to be an alloy clincher day I think.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Markos, I'd have thought you'd get up Ankerdine with 34x25. Don't forget that having a number on your back gives you that extra bit of incentive, the timekeepers will be timing you and there might be spectators giving you a cheer (though they'll have to be hardy folk, given the forecast!). I got up it on 39x21 in the event in 2007 although it wasn't a pretty sight!

Ruth
  • markos1963
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Markos, I'd have thought you'd get up Ankerdine with 34x25. Don't forget that having a number on your back gives you that extra bit of incentive, the timekeepers will be timing you and there might be spectators giving you a cheer (though they'll have to be hardy folk, given the forecast!). I got up it on 39x21 in the event in 2007 although it wasn't a pretty sight!

Ruth

As a one off Ruth I wouldn't have worried about it, I think Gas Hill in Norwich is almost as steep, it's just the 34 hilly TT miles before it that make me worried. The timekeepers will have an easy job with me just give them a calender and tell them to look for the man with the purple face!
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i've opted for the road bike for tomorrow.

given the forecast i don't want to be riding TT. and i don't want to be in a skinsuit. wet weather gear all round.
  • davep7
    My best mate has a weather station in his garden in Worcester, which is about 10 miles from the event HQ. If anyone is travelling a long way to the event maybe check it out before you set out.. It updates every 10 minutes I think.

Here's a link.. http://www.monster-media.co.uk/weather/index.htm

Looking on the bright side, the forecast 40mph north easterly gusts will blow us up Stanford bank.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Good luck to everyone riding tomorrow, wish I could be there. I'd rather be grovelling up the hills in the rain than fighting with idiots...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Total respect to all riders today, took a load of photos on Ankerdine climb which I'll post when I work out how to :(

Horrid conditions but very annoying for me, Danny Axford climbed so so quick, making it look easy, when I have to grovel up it at the end of each training ride !!

Favourite comment from one of the riders as he passed "I want my mum" made me laugh :P

Well done to all of the organising team too :wink: