- Personal-best prizes
- Prizes for lower categories in the Midlands Rankings
- Prize presentation with men's and women's podium
- Free photographs of all riders
- Excellent refreshments
- Marshalling second to none
- Colour start/results booklets
- Internet entries welcome

This event has its own little following of Bikeradar-ites with SBezza, Johnpsanderson and Bexslack already entered. NapD and JGSI have promised to enter too. Any more for any more?

All the details including a map of the course and all the history of the event can be found here
A list of entries received will be updated regularly here: Entries received

See you on 29th April,

Ruth Eyles
Beacon Roads CC

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I was almost crying in frustration when I was told I couldn't have leave for this year's event :'(

Best time trial in Britain. In my opinion.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • prefer the Drag strips myself nap! :P but i shall have a go of this next year :)

keep a spot open for me!!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Oh no! You're kidding, right, NapD? :(

I've just been reminded of this article about the event written by BikeRadar Editor Jeff Jones in 2009. Worth a read! (And Jeff did return and came second in 2011)

Ruth
  • scratch that, going too see if i can get the team interested ;) might do it!
    north west of england.
  • napoleond
    No, gutted :(

Matt, I'm much more of a drag strip rider myself but this is such a good event that anyone should have a go. The course is ACE and it's run soooo well.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • looks abit far!!!!! 138 MILES AWAY!! and the start is at 8am. abit of a no go unfortunately :P

unless i knew i would win (which i wouldn't) it wouldnt be much point me in coming down. far too much travel for a race! lol.
    north west of england.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    It is not all about winning ;). This is a real classic event, although real tough as well, nothing like grinding your way up Ankerdine Hill when knackered.

I've entered and I am really looking forward to it, a real special event in my calender. Drag strips are OK, but you need a change sometimes and this event is that a real good challenge and a very pleasent change from riding on motorways ;).

Matt, I live further away, 138 miles isn't that far ;)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    All being well I'm going to give this a go this year - enjoyed the reports from last year and feel my fitness will at least allow me to complete it this year (plus no clash with easter holidays).
  • napoleond
    At least i have my back-tattoo memento from last year ;)

33d579cb.jpg
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Got my eye on a few local events in April, but this looks like it's well worth the 90min drive north. Work permitting, count me in!
  • SBezza wrote:
    It is not all about winning ;). This is a real classic event, although real tough as well, nothing like grinding your way up Ankerdine Hill when knackered.

I've entered and I am really looking forward to it, a real special event in my calender. Drag strips are OK, but you need a change sometimes and this event is that a real good challenge and a very pleasent change from riding on motorways ;).

Matt, I live further away, 138 miles isn't that far ;)
    very true, but i don't have a car! lol :D
    north west of england.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    looks good but man i hate hills.maybe one day.

But for those going if youve got a bit of time go along to Witley court to have a look round,really nice old ruins of a great house, with a fully restored mahoosive fountain. Worth seeing especially if you drag the other half/family along.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Well, that's my view and I'm only just a teensy bit biased. :wink:

Agreed +1...
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Would love to do this despite the hills(I am from Norfolk you know!) A couple of questions: 1, Was the event oversubscribed last year? 2 Am I likely to get in with just a few Open10's on my application and 3. Those hills look BAD is there a broom wagon for swampies like me?
  • BeaconRuth
    markos1963 wrote:
    1, Was the event oversubscribed last year?
    No. It was only oversubscribed in 2008. We usually have between about 100 and 110 entries.
    2 Am I likely to get in with just a few Open10's on my application
    Most definitely. You would only fail to get in if I had substantially more than 130 entries, which hasn't happened since 2008.
    3. Those hills look BAD is there a broom wagon for swampies like me?
    We do have a broom wagon but nobody has ever yet made use of it because they couldn't complete the course on fitness grounds. But I suppose there's always a first time for everything!

Send me an entry, Markos. People have travelled a lot further than from Norfolk to ride this event.

Ruth
  • napoleond
    I'm one of the slowest riders there, started near the end, crashed (see above), got back on and still finished before the broom wagon.

I'm dreadful on the hills but the course is so enjoyable just get there and ride it!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Pross
    Just need to check with the social secretary that I haven't gone anything else on and will be filling in the online entry. I've got a target time of 2.10 in my head if the weather isn't too bad.
  • markos1963
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:
    1, Was the event oversubscribed last year?
    No. It was only oversubscribed in 2008. We usually have between about 100 and 110 entries.
    2 Am I likely to get in with just a few Open10's on my application
    Most definitely. You would only fail to get in if I had substantially more than 130 entries, which hasn't happened since 2008.
    3. Those hills look BAD is there a broom wagon for swampies like me?
    We do have a broom wagon but nobody has ever yet made use of it because they couldn't complete the course on fitness grounds. But I suppose there's always a first time for everything!

Send me an entry, Markos. People have travelled a lot further than from Norfolk to ride this event.

Ruth

Oh God I've run out of excuses not to ride now! :?
  • napoleond
    Wasn't there someone from the continent there last year?!
    And one girl ride on her cross bike?
    It's very much a 'taking part that counts' event.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • BeaconRuth
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Wasn't there someone from the continent there last year?!
    Yes, a chap from the Netherlands brought his wife across for a week's holiday in Worcestershire and joined the Beacon RCC especially so that he could ride the famous Beacon Little Mountain TT. He had been told all about it by Graham Webb who won the World Amateur Road Race title in the '60s and who won our event in 1963.
    And one girl ride on her cross bike?
    Yes NapD, except that that 'girl' was none other than Isla Rowntree, founder of IslaBikes. As many-time National Cyclocross Champion I'm guessing she grabbed the nearest bike available and it happened to be a 'cross bike! Anyway, she won a bonus box of Creme Eggs but that was as much for the silly walk (trying to get comfy in her cycling shorts) she performed across the HQ when signing on. She had everyone in fits of laughter............
    It's very much a 'taking part that counts' event.
    Too right!

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth
    Pross wrote:
    Just need to check with the social secretary that I haven't gone anything else on and will be filling in the online entry. I've got a target time of 2.10 in my head if the weather isn't too bad.
    It will be great to meet you if you can make it Pross. Same goes for your Markos!

Ruth
  • markos1963
    Ok,ok you win. Subject to 'her indoors' approval for the release of family funds I'll get my entry in this weekend.

One last question, B&B recommendations please
  • Pross
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    It will be great to meet you if you can make it Pross. Same goes for your Markos!

Ruth

Have you ever thought of a career in sales Ruth :lol:
  • Kboddy
    Kboddy Posts: 37
    I've entered this; someone in our club convinced me it would be a good idea, im not so sure with all the hills! Will try and get a few more from High Wycombe CC to enter!
  • bexslack
    bexslack Posts: 81
    Kboddy wrote:
    I've entered this; someone in our club convinced me it would be a good idea, im not so sure with all the hills! Will try and get a few more from High Wycombe CC to enter!

You won't regret it Karla... well not by the time you've finished anyway..... halfway up Ankerdine you may be a bit unsure as to why you got roped into it by a club mate!

I hear a certain Mrs King is planning to enter... I'd better get some serious training in between now and then...
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    At least i have my back-tattoo memento from last year ;)

33d579cb.jpg
    Separated at birth?
    tumblr_l1krwjtpgs1qzufnjo1_500.jpg
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • if anyone wants to come through southport and pick me up i wouldn't mind doing this :P
    north west of england.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Kboddy wrote:

Err ............. that would be me!!!
  • Pross
    Online entry completed, see you on the 29th April. Better get some practice in going hard up some hills!
  • Kboddy
    Kboddy Posts: 37
    I'm out of touch; who's "Mrs King" Bex?

TimO about time you got your entry in!