World's Greatest Footballer of all time.

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Watching the Barcelona game I was quite taken with young Lionel Messi, so taken in fact that I watched the programme on ITV 6 (or some such) about him being the greatest player in the World.

It dawned on me, is he? Is he better than Cristiano Ronaldo (the other supposed best player in the World) who has scored more league goals than games in two of the three seasons he has been in Spain and in one season 20+ more goals than Messi.

These guys have to go down in History as the Pele and Maradona of the 2000s. So, I've thrown up a poll

AND

Some light hearted, questions:

Who do you think is the greatest footballer of all time?

Who do you think is the best footballer in the World right now?

Who is your favourite footballer ever?

What was the greatest goal you have ever seen?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited March 2012
    Messi

Messi

Roy Keane. (well, my grandfather who played for Heerenveen and got a big splash in the newspaper on Wednesday, but you don't know him, so Roy Keane).

For you Dutchies: http://www.lc.nl/sport/scheerenveen/art ... l-van-1948
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited March 2012
    Who do you think is the greatest footballer of all time? I dunno. I want to say Roberto Baggio, Bergkamp or Henry. But I feel like I should be saying Maradona.

Who do you think is the best footballer in the World right now? Cristiano Ronaldo

Who is your favourite footballer ever? Thierry Henry - never have I seen such a player make power look so graceful, elegant and frankly beautiful.

What was the greatest goal you have ever seen? Denis Bergkamp vs Newcastle (2002)
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    Greatest goal I've seen on TV? Bergkamp versus Argentina '98 France.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Maradona
    Messi
    Maradona
    Van Basten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eENUIMGq0LE
    exercise.png
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    none of them youngsters

you seem to be forgetting about our national treasure Ian Rush

oh the memories...oh the 80's moustache
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rick_chasey
    mudcow007 wrote:
    none of them youngsters

Think my grandfather played late 30s ;).
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    Best
    Messi
    Zola
    Van Bastens Volley
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    mudcow007 wrote:
    none of them youngsters

isnt that around the time when smoking a pipe was compulsory on the pitch?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rick_chasey
    mudcow007 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    none of them youngsters

isnt that around the time when smoking a pipe was compulsory on the pitch?

Ha.
    http://www.sc-heerenveen.nl/historie/1937-1954

He was the Xavi to the Messi of the Dutch era. A 'star' player in his own right, but worked with THE famous player from Heerenveen Abe Lenstra
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Robin Friday

There is one for you to all Google
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited March 2012
    Diego Maradona

Cristiano Ronaldo

Eric Cantona

Ryan Giggs vs Arsenal in the 1999 FA Cup semi-final OR George Best vs Chelsea and a lamentable Chopper Harris.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Sorry but someone seems to have spoilt the poll by putting a greasy Portugese cry-baby's name on it. It's Messi.

Be in no doubt that Messi is the best there's ever been. He's performing at a level that no-one believed possible at a time when the game is faster, more athletic and tactically and technically far superior I can just about remember Pele playing, I grew in the Maradona era, I was coaching and playing whilst Zidane ruled the world and Messi is better than all of them. I'm afraid Ronaldo (the Portugese one) doesn't even come close. And to judge the competition on goals scored in a two team league is even more amusing. When you've looked at the bigger picture and understood that Messi does it at Champions League level and, more recently, at international level as well, then there's only conclusion.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Bobby Moore was quite good, but I'd go for Pele in the end.

None impress me that much. Ronaldo is still a cheating diving ponse who annoys the life out of me, and the occasional flash of good play from him doesn't overcome my irrational dislike of the bloke. If pushed I'd go for Boltelli at Man City just because he makes me smile when he plays.

Steve Walsh, by scoring v Derby in the Play-Off Final with about 5 mins to go a few years ago. Cue chaos; Wembley was physically bouncing at our end. It was good.

Carlos Alberto - Brazil's 4th in the 1970 WC Final. The whole thing from start to end is a thing of beauty. Close second is Geoff Hurst's 3rd. Still raises a tingle that does.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I went for Messi in the quiz, if only because he's not such a catastrophic be11-end as Ronaldo.

In terms of the Qs:

I'm going to go with Cruyff, due to his part in the total football team, and because I like to be different

Ickle Lionel

Tricky one, this, as I'm a Bristol City fan - so I'll go for the legend that is Bob Taylor, Super Bob himself

When at a game, Alan Walsh's free kick for my lot against Blackpool (I think) in c.'87-8 was outstanding
    On telly - where to start? Bergkamp's goal for the Dutch when he pulled it out of the air and cut back and shot was pretty good (can't remember who against)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rick_chasey
    SecretSam wrote:
    On telly - where to start? Bergkamp's goal for the Dutch when he pulled it out of the air and cut back and shot was pretty good (can't remember who against)

Argentina '98.
  • secretsam
    spen666 wrote:
    Robin Friday

Don't need to - one of the greatest players never to make it, Derby and Reading IIRC??? Couldn't stop scoring, but also couldn't give a t---!!!!

• rick_chasey
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Diego Maradona

Cristiano Ronaldo

Eric Cantona

Ryan Giggs vs Arsenal in the 1999 FA Cup semi-final OR George Best vs Chelsea and a lamentable Chopper Harris.

Partisan much? Surprised you didn't say Best :P
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    spen666 wrote:
    Robin Friday

Just before my time sadly although my Dad saw him play many times. His memorial tree is in Walpole Park, Ealing and I walk past it every weekend.

4760089122_77b6128935_z.jpg
    <a>road</a>
  • Ben6899
    Sorry but someone seems to have spoilt the poll by putting a greasy Portugese cry-baby's name on it. It's Messi.

Be in no doubt that Messi is the best there's ever been. He's performing at a level that no-one believed possible at a time when the game is faster, more athletic and tactically and technically far superior I can just about remember Pele playing, I grew in the Maradona era, I was coaching and playing whilst Zidane ruled the world and Messi is better than all of them. I'm afraid Ronaldo (the Portugese one) doesn't even come close. And to judge the competition on goals scored in a two team league is even more amusing. When you've looked at the bigger picture and understood that Messi does it at Champions League level and, more recently, at international level as well, then there's only conclusion.

I have to laugh when Ronaldo is referred to as a crybaby diving-ponce... he has matured A LOT in the past 3 or 4 years. And I would assume he's quite handy and on the strong side.

Back to the football... I picked Ronaldo over Messi because of the international performances. I think he has the edge there.

Both awesome players though.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • secretsam
    SecretSam wrote:

Argentina '98.

Ta - that's the one - a real "f**k me, what a goal!" moment

• cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    edited March 2012
    Maradona - Messi is very close to being the best ever, but as he has not won the World Cup yet I will just go with Maradona. He single handedly (quite literally :shock:) led Argentina to victory in the 86 World Cup, when they were not that great a team.

Messi - No debate on this one. Ronaldo must be gutted, as good as he is he's not as good as Messi.

Zola - Skill in abundance, got the ball and you expected things to happen. Once saw him turn Julian Dicks this way and that way and this way again, hilarious. Dicks is probably still unravelling now! And a gentleman too, it's a rare footballer who does not even get abuse from opposition fans. You couldn't help but like him.

Maradona 86 WC - The second goal against England, the good one not the god one! What can you say? Had everthing, turn, speed, skill, trickery, balance and a finish. Incredible.
  • Football%20-%20George%20Best-500x500.jpg

But I think Messi might prove to be even better if he can perform on the International stage too.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    SecretSam wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    Robin Friday

Don't need to - one of the greatest players never to make it, Derby and Reading IIRC??? Couldn't stop scoring, but also couldn't give a t---!!!!

started out at Hayes, signed by Reading after he tore us apart in a cup tie, after a few seasons the madness got to much and he was shipped out to Cardiff but the booze and drugs were taking their toll and he only lasted a season or so. Dead at 38 :(

07-TheManDon'tGiveAFuck.jpg
    <a>road</a>
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Ben6899 wrote:

I have to laugh when Ronaldo is referred to as a crybaby diving-ponce... he has matured A LOT in the past 3 or 4 years. And I would assume he's quite handy and on the strong side.

Back to the football... I picked Ronaldo over Messi because of the international performances. I think he has the edge there.

Obviously a Man U fan. Interesting that you still think there's even a debate after 09 and 11.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    best ever: Didier Drogba
    best now: Didier Drogba
    favourite: John Terry
    best goal: any John Terry set-piece header
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Who do you think is the greatest footballer of all time? I can only comment on players ive seen so Messi.

Who do you think is the best footballer in the World right now? Messi

Who is your favourite footballer ever? Steven Gerrard, the man has it all (apart from a premiership winners medal)

What was the greatest goal you have ever seen? No idea on greatest but one of my favourites of all time is Luis Garcia against Juve in the CL quarter final in 2005. Was standing in the Kop and then Lil' Luis hits the most beautiful of half volleys over Buffon and i was 7 rows in front on my head. Probably one of the finest moments of my life when watching football
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MP1Sh1kSeI
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:

Obviously a Man U fan. Interesting that you still think there's even a debate after 09 and 11.

I am a United supporter, correct. Does that make my opinion any less valid?

I won't be the only contributor to this thread who is still waiting for Messi to perform *like Messi* on the international stage. Ronaldo has been standout for Portugal for a good 5-years now, and that's a useful squad to stand out in.

I suppose these polls go one of two ways: we all have differing opinions and respect each other in having those. OR we concentrate on facts and make an objective assessment.
    Ben

• secretsam

So you've never watched any football, then

Bad luck

Terry barely qualifies as a human being, let alone a footballer

• Ben6899
    SecretSam wrote:

So you've never watched any football, then

Bad luck

Terry barely qualifies as a human being, let alone a footballer

I have a feeling Mr Cat was talking with his tongue firmly in his cheek.
    Ben