Explain this 'panache' idea to me...

13»

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Freire is f******* classy but doesn't have panache.

Tell me that bunny hop he did over the island wasn't panache!

Can sprinters actually have panache, being the magnolia rooms of the peloton? Aside from Cipo of course.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:

Freire is f******* classy but doesn't have panache.

Tell me that bunny hop he did over the island wasn't panache!

Can sprinters actually have panache, being the magnolia rooms of the peloton? Aside from Cipo of course.

One off though, c'mon!

Some sprinters can?

I'd say Hushovd did well in green to keep that up.

If you still class him as a sprinter.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Cipo had panache when he won Gent-Wevelghem tho' didn't he? Rode across to the break rested a bit and then beat them all (including throwing a bottle at someone).
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Freire went on a mountain breakaway in the Vuelta once with Zabel and O'Grady. That's a bucket of panache right there.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    afx237vi wrote:
    Freire went on a mountain breakaway in the Vuelta once with Zabel and O'Grady. That's a bucket of panache right there.

Alright, bad example!

You know what I mean!!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    Panache is overrated. It's élan that has that certain je ne sais quois.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Don't forget to add a pinch of souplesse into the mix...

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    That should be a soupçon of souplesse, surely?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Big LOL on Wiggins' wife's comments.

It's why I can't get behind Sky or anyone out of the robotic BC system.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Big LOL on Wiggins' wife's comments.

It's why I can't get behind Sky or anyone out of the robotic BC system.

You can't really blame her for being northern.
  • Laurent Fignon embodied Panache, on 'his' day (according to him) nothing was impossible. Unfortunately the term gets degraded by flashy chancers who promise much but never deliver. It works to give the sponsor airtime but that is not Panache.
    'fool'
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I strongly recommend going to the effort of searching for 'panache' in google images.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Jacky Durand, Thierry Marie, joel pelier, cubino, chozas all had panache. Long lone breakers of a bygone era
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Jacky Durand, Thierry Marie, joel pelier, cubino, chozas all had panache. Long lone breakers of a bygone era

I miss the late solo breaks that were the trademark of Thierry Marie. I remember once him taking a TDF stage after attacking at the kite and doing the last km in 52 seconds, holding off the entire peloton. That was panache.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Panache is a sporting concept invented by the French to allow them to claim a moral victory even when they've lost.

It's also a trademark registered to Amgen.

Not to be confused with panaché (French for shandy, although describing a rider as a panaché might be a way of implying they are a lightweight no-hoper).
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Dave_1 wrote:

I miss the late solo breaks that were the trademark of Thierry Marie. I remember once him taking a TDF stage after attacking at the kite and doing the last km in 52 seconds, holding off the entire peloton. That was panache.

Yes, Marie did all kinds of approach..prologue TTer, then long range 120 mile solos across Normandie..

Panache is dead...radios did that. You can have one or the other, but not both
  • "Jacky Durand, Thierry Marie, joel pelier, cubino, chozas all had panache. Long lone breakers of a bygone era" well then if a long lone break is the criteria then Brad is in as I seem to remember him going on a long one in his Cofodis days !!!