Weight weenies list

Comments

• toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    So given the extra 2 x 40g weight of the 317 rims means that XT 6 bolt hubs are heavier than SLX centre locks!

Centrelock takes weight off the hubs, and puts it on the rotors instead. The rotors are a good chunk heavier then 6 bolt.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    XT 756 6 bolts were lard buckets, the rear well over 400g without a skewer, and the front about 240g.

The new Ice Tech rotors are a decentish weight, but cheaper and lighter 6 bolts can be had.
  • toasty
    Ooh indeed, claimed 122g for 185mm Ice Tech jobbies. Sounds like hubs + rotor would potentially be lighter than an equiv 6 bolt now.

Are they the same rotors that a German magazine managed to melt playing in the Alps?*

*completely unsubstantiated remark there, I'm sure I heard mention of something Ice Tech being fantastic, but a bit melty, could be barking up the wrong tree entirely here.
  • supersonic
    Dunno about any melting lol, would be a good effort to get the rotors to 650 degrees!

I am using the RT81 XT, can't remember what I weighed the 180mm at (146g I think), but have a loose 160 I can check later.
  • supersonic
    XT RT81 160mm = 125.5g

LX RT62 160mm = 145.5g

LX centrelock lockring, QR hub = 16g

GT 5mm carbon headset spacer = 1.4g!

Exotic Meta F 80mm x31.8 (with all bolts) = 125g
  • toasty
    supersonic wrote:
    Dunno about any melting lol, would be a good effort to get the rotors to 650 degrees!

I'll try and hunt down the random quote tonight.

Edit: I might be in a hole on this one, this says the opposite http://www.sicklines.com/2011/02/14/shimano-ice-technologies-xtr-benchmark-test/ eheh - current generation Shimano brakes sound like a winner all round at the moment.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    supersonic wrote:
    XT 756 6 bolts were lard buckets, the rear well over 400g without a skewer, and the front about 240g.

The new Ice Tech rotors are a decentish weight, but cheaper and lighter 6 bolts can be had.

I`ve got the non ice tech rt79.Not weighed it yet,but its noticebly stiffer than the old XT RT75 rotor.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I did weigh the XTR IceTech 160/140 rotors my bike came with, forget what they were though. Centrelock are always weighty though. Even those new Absolute Black (?) ones are still heavier than KCNC 6-bolts and adapters and are silly silly money!
  • supersonic
    Looking at the centrelock design, it appears it could be made lighter. Pretty sure Shimano know that though!
  • njee20
    Here are the Absolute Black ones, still come in at 92g for a 160, and they're €161, so one would assume that's about light as you can 'sensibly' (and I use the term loosely!) go as they're going for the lightest ever made.

absoluteblack-raven-sl-centerlock-rotor-95g-1-600x452.jpg
  • supersonic
    Ridiculous price! Still sure the ice stuff could come in lighter with out any probs with stiffness or durability. Next year then ;-)
  • toasty
    They're only 20g off the KCNC rotors, not too shabby, wonder how light centerlock hubs could me made if it were the standard. I guess you also have the advantage of having the alloy spider to dissipate some of the heat.
  • njee20
    So they damn well should be, they're more than 6 times the price of the KCNC ones!

They're twice as heavy as Scrub Racedays for a similar price. The brake track is replaceable, which is a nice touch!

DT are the only manufacturer I can think of doing light Centerlock hubs, but the 180s are still heavier than Tune Prince, Extralite SPD etc. And they're £500 for a rear alone!
  • toasty
    Ooh, I've never seen those Scrub ones, very cool loooking. Do they last well?
  • njee20
    No idea, can't be doing with rotors that require you to use a special brake pad, they're now saying they'll only warranty them if you've used them with their own, very expensive, pads. Which to me suggests that people have been killing them with other pads. Sod that, not that much lighter than KCNC!
  • The Spiderman
    supersonic wrote:
    Looking at the centrelock design, it appears it could be made lighter. Pretty sure Shimano know that though!

Heavier but much nicer to work with when swapping out rotors. :)
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • njee20
    Yes very true.
  • The Spiderman
    njee20 wrote:
    Here are the Absolute Black ones, still come in at 92g for a 160, and they're €161, so one would assume that's about light as you can 'sensibly' (and I use the term loosely!) go as they're going for the lightest ever made.

absoluteblack-raven-sl-centerlock-rotor-95g-1-600x452.jpg

Ridiculous price but the do look very,very nice........... 8)

Njee how are the KCNC rotors in terms of durability and resistance to warping.I have had enough issues with standard Shimano rt75 rotors,to be a bit wary of anything billed as light for rotors.Though that might be down to clumsiness on my part when putting bike and wheels in the car.......... :oops:

Can you suggest any reasonably priced,light but durable qr skewers?I`m 13st 12 so they need to be strong. I was looking at the KCNC Z6.Am I right to be wary of Ti skewers?

Also looking for suggestions for seat clamps and seat posts.I love my Thomson for its security and strength,and it still looks like new after 4 years use but is there anything lighter that would be suitable for my weight? Love the look of the KCNC but fear I`m a little too near the weight limit.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • njee20
    Ti skewers are a bit stretchy, but as long as one is mindful of this I don't think they're a problem. Just check them periodically, I tend to do them up twice if that makes sense, some are worse than others.

I used to use Tune, which are excellent, nice internal cam, but big money and not that light. Had some KCNC (still use the rear, as it's extra long for an ABP Trek), but not a huge fan, the lever's not really long enough, they don't ever feel that tight. Got some Parts of Passion ones which I put in, and decided they were just too light to use on an MTB, scary. Now use Mt Zoom ones, which are similar money and weight to KCNC, but more confidence inspiring!

No issues with the KCNC rotors, power is very slightly less (and I mean very slightly) than the Avid G3s I use on my spare wheels, but I'd definitely use them again. No signs of wear after a year. Trashed the pads last week, and was using the backing pad to brake and they're still fine. Good place to save weight I reckons. Never bent them either, but the only rotors I've ever really had issues with are Hope Pro Floating ones, which were utterly crap!

New Ultimate do lovely bolt up seat clamps for reasonably sensible money. Their seatposts are also really nice, I've got a couple of unused ones depending on the size you're after (and what do you weigh - they have a 90kg limit?). If you're scared off their/KCNC design try Ritchey WCS or Superlogic. Solid, and still reasonably light.
  • The Spiderman
    Thanks for that NJee.I am a smidge under 90kg kitted up.I ride mostly xc but will take on the odd drop or jump.
    Maybe I`d be better with Ritchey?

I`ve looked at the Mt Zoom website.Looks like good stuff.Will check out New Ultimate too.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • njee20
    Depends if you'll do those drops and jumps sat down, you can ride 40ft to flat drops with a 20g seatpost if you're stood up ;-)

If you're concerned by the strength then a Ritchey one may be a better bet.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    eXotic Meta Stem 60mm with 31.8mm clamp = 112g

Charge Spoon saddle (Ti rails w/leather) = 248g

I'll be doing a frame swap soon, I'll try and weigh a few parts.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • The Spiderman
    Has anyone here ever weighed a bare Giant Anthem X frame in size large?
    Also does anyone know the actual weight of a Fox F100 RL (2010)?
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As most the bikes in the Family were built by me from a bare frames I know the weights of almost everything on them all, won't post them all, but some highlights are......

BBB Fibretop bars (25.4x580mm) 111g
    On-one forged stem (identical to a Bikehut one on the daughters bike) 25.4x90 124g
    Alligator windcutter discs (6 bolt, 160mm) 82g (fine on the rear of an MTB)
    Hayes disc (with nine set) (6 bolt, 160mm) 118g - this is the lightest 'regular' 160mm disc I've found from Tektro, Avid, A2Z etc etc.
    Charge Spoon Cro-mo 293g
    X0 grip shift (9speed) 87g (no cable)
    Shimano twist shifter (3sp for front) 68g
    Carrera Kraken frame 1735g
    Manitou Skareb Elite forks (2004) 1486g
    Superstar cheapest stem (laser?) 31.8x80 123g
    Juicy 5 front brake (lever, hose and calliper) 325g

I've found the Halfords disc bolts are about 1mm longer than most and weigh 1g more per set......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • snotty badger
    Kona Kula 2010 frame (7005 race light) 1.67kg inc. headset cups.

Superstar simple seatpost - inline - 27.2 x 400mm - 277g

Specialized dropper post inc. cable and lever - 590g
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • snotty badger
    32t Deore middle ring- 87.5g

Hope 32t chainring- 33.5g
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    trying to get a decent 26" tyre list going, i nicked the 29er list
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... lFGdjUtVGc
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • The Spiderman
    Easton EC70 carbon riser 20mm rise,685mm length,31.8 : 165g actual weight
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • Superstar Custom Wheelset -

- Trizoid DH rear hub with Syntace X12 fitting (142x12)
    - Switch Evo Hub with 15mm Fitting
    - Stans Arch EX Rims
    - Sapim SILS alloy nipples
    - CX Ray Spokes
    - Stans Yellow Tape

1639g actual