Weight weenies list

The Spiderman
The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Since the weight weenies listings seem to be very out of date,I thought the forum weight weenies might want to start their own resource here. :)

Anyway can I start the ball rolling with my latest purchase..............

KCNC Fly ride stem 31.8 x 90mm: 118g (according to my non calibrated Salter electronic kitchen scales)

(Bit of a bargain at £21 from Koo bikes) 8)
2006 Giant XTC
2010 Giant Defy Advanced
2016 Boardman Pro 29er
2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
2017 Canondale Supersix Evo

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Or just submit that listing to Weight Weenies so it's up to date, rather than having a long thread with loads of random listings...

My 100mm New Ultimate stem is 98g ;-)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think we can still keep it going - I'll collate them and add to the first post. Sometime ;-)

Easton EC90 Monkeylite SL carbon bars, 635mmx31.8, 2009 = 146g
  • The Spiderman
    Thomson Elite 30.9 x 367 layback seatpost 251g
    Raceface Deus riser 660mm 236g
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • xand_xand
    xand_xand Posts: 271
    Fizik cyrano seatpost 31.6 330mm @ 236g
    Fizik tundra 2 saddle @ 190g
    Easton Monkeylite XC carbon bar 31.8 685mm @ 155g
    Oh yes!
    MY CUBE
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12785430

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!
  • hang on hang on hang on.

The good thing about the WW listings was that they showed claimed AND actual weights. What are people giving here?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    My KCNC stem weighs nothing at all.

According to my bathroom scale.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    KCNC Fly ride stem 31.8 x 90mm: 118g
    Thomson Elite 30.9 x 367 layback seatpost 251g
    Raceface Deus riser 660mm 236g

I thought these were supposed to be "weight weenies" listings?
  • The Spiderman
    I`d say the KCNC stem is in weight weenie territory.
    Thomson post is not I grant you,but still lighter and stronger than the 273g Giant Connect SL post it replaced.
    Raceface Deus risers,are not a bad weight for an alu bar.
    Anyway,the last 2 were effectively free upgrades as I swapped them from my old bike............
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • The Spiderman
    hang on hang on hang on.

The good thing about the WW listings was that they showed claimed AND actual weights. What are people giving here?

Mine are actual.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • xand_xand
    xand_xand wrote:
    Fizik cyrano seatpost 31.6 330mm @ 236g
    Fizik tundra 2 saddle @ 190g
    Easton Monkeylite XC carbon bar 31.8 685mm @ 155g
    Oh yes!

Ok admit mine were manufacturers stated weights...but in the interest of honesty, I will strip the parts, weigh on scales, photograph and repost.
    MY CUBE

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I use the list on:

http://bikescale.com/

the most, good for having loads of random frames. Completely pointless having a list of claimed weights, need to weigh them properly.
  • toasty
    xand_xand wrote:
    Easton Monkeylite XC carbon bar 31.8 685mm @ 155g!

More like http://bikescale.com/index.php?d=artykul&kat=46&mar=30&art=1290 - quoted weight is the lightest, yours is the heaviest.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Weight weenies listings are out of date as they have been superceeded by the database here

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... .php?f=100

Loads and loads of modern entries that make this thread pointless.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • xand_xand
    Toasty wrote:
    xand_xand wrote:
    Easton Monkeylite XC carbon bar 31.8 685mm @ 155g!

More like http://bikescale.com/index.php?d=artykul&kat=46&mar=30&art=1290 - quoted weight is the lightest, yours is the heaviest.

Please do not presume to know what I have mate. That is an old model you've linked to mine is the latest and actual weight is 155g.
    I'll get photo back up at thd weekend.
    MY CUBE

• toasty
    xand_xand wrote:
    Please do not presume to know what I have mate. That is an old model you've linked to mine is the latest and actual weight is 155g.

I didn't presume anything, you said you had a 685/31.8, which is the heaviest, the claimed weight is for 660/25.4, did you presume they all weighed the same? The weight hasn't changed over a long time, I've got a set on my Scandal myself. Mine actually came in at 183g by my scales.

Once you're building with carbon nanotubes, there's not a whole lot of room for improvement.
  • njee20
    There's a significant disparity between identical components (notably tyres), not to mention scales. It's quite possible x_x weighed a set that were lighter than yours.
    Once you're building with carbon nanotubes, there's not a whole lot of room for improvement.

What does that even mean? EC90 flat bars are lighter than EC70 DH bars. Both CNT construction.
  • toasty
    edited March 2012
    I mean that the strength to weight ratio is pretty much the strongest known to man. So there aren't likely to be any huge advancements in the material used.

Quite obviously less is lighter than more. :roll:
    njee20 wrote:
    There's a significant disparity between identical components (notably tyres), not to mention scales. It's quite possible x_x weighed a set that were lighter than yours.

Who said there wasn't? I merely made the gamble that his long, wide ones didn't happen to have EXACTLY the same weight as the claimed weight of the smaller model. If they're 15% lighter than all the rest I'd be fairly shocked. Mine weren't the ones in the previous photo.
  • njee20
    But you seemed to be using it to poopoo x_x's suggestion that his bars were lighter than yours?
  • toasty
    njee20 wrote:
    But you seemed to be using it to poopoo x_x's suggestion that his bars were lighter than yours?

He hasn't weighed his bars, he's used the quoted weight off the Easton site, which isn't actually for his model, I'm pointing out this fact.

The badly phrased comment about the material was justification for the weight having stayed the same for Easton Monkeylite XC bars for the past, 5 years or something.
  • njee20
    From x_x's post:
    mine is the latest and actual weight is 155g.

So his has an actual weight the same as the claimed weight for a different one. Have you saved weight on glasses!?
  • toasty
    njee20 wrote:
    From x_x's post:
    mine is the latest and actual weight is 155g.

So his has an actual weight the same as the claimed weight for a different one. Have you saved weight on glasses!?
    Ok admit mine were manufacturers stated weights...but in the interest of honesty, I will strip the parts, weigh on scales, photograph and repost.

I'm calling BS basically :P

What, so he got home that same night, instantly stripped his bars, weighed them... and low and behold. They happened to be EXACTLY the same weight as claimed weight for the 660mm/25.4mm version, what luck! He was only guessing 6 hours previously, but it was right to the gram!

Hey guys, I just weighed my Meta, it was 20 pounds! If you disagree you're clearly blind.
  • njee20
    My Top Fuel is just under 20lbs :-)

Nah it's a fair point, I was just observing why any thread like this just tends to turn into a slagging match!

Not much of a rival to the WW database so far...

I'll add the 'weeniest' components from the Fuel to get us back on track:

A2Z/Podium/Revolution disc wheels, with yellow tape and valves: 1246g
    Mt Zoom riser bars: 156g
    KCNC disc rotors (160/140): 75g/62g
  • toasty
    Indeed, sorry. It just seems to completely defeat the point of these threads if we're instantly posting hugely optimistic manufacturers numbers, this sort of thread is set up solely to avoid these. This sort of thing is the entire reason why these things fail, its even worse when people add all these together then decide their full sus probably weighs about 20 pounds :)*

Curiously I always found, even after weighing every component on my Mojo, after building it, the end result was about 1lb heavier than the sum of it's parts. Where the error margin lay I'm not sure :) The full bike scales were higher quality than the component scales though.

*I'm not saying yours by the way, I know yours does! hehe
  • The Spiderman
    edited March 2012
    Njee what width are those Mt Zoom bars and how much?

I`ve seen some good deals on USE Atom bars,they claim 170g,not sure how accurate that is but can be had for £60.

Just weighed some cassettes.XT M760 11-34 295g,XT 770 11-34 306g,but XT 770 11-32 is only 262g.

You wouldn`t think those extra 2 teeth would make that much difference...........

Also its surprising where hidden weight can be.My headset spacer stack is 56g,27g of which is one of those big conical spacers that sits on the headset.

Now looking for a conical carbon spacer,to replace it.Once I`ve tweaked the position,I think I might be able to lose a bit off the steerer and a couple of spacers too. :lol:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • njee20
    Njee what width are those Mt Zoom bars and how much?

660mm and £73.
    You wouldn`t think those extra 2 teeth would make that much difference...........

The 11-32s use a 4-arm spider, the 11-34s use a 5-arm spider.

PointOneRacing do the lightest headset spacers, forget the weight though!
  • toasty
    Actually, should be a bit more constructive ;)

XL standard Mojo frame + seatpost clamp - 2815g :(
    Pro 2s + Flows - 1886g
    Easton EC70 Monkeylite 685/31.8 hi rise - 183g

2.4" Nobby Nic was bonkers light looking back actually, at 645g, those things were huge.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    XTR Shadow Plus rear mech, long cage = 177g.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Schwalbe XX Light Presta 1.5/2.1 inner tubes. Should be 95g.

One was 113g, the other 98g.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • The Spiderman
    Not weight weenie wheels but discovered a pair of SLX centre lock hubs with Sapim db spokes and Mavic 317s weigh 2021g.The qr skewers were a whopping 169g.The complete wheelset is just 80g lighter than my old Deore/317 wheels.

Interesting to compare to my other wheels which are XTM756 6 bolt hubs with Mavic 717 rims which are 1938g ,with XT qr skewers coming in at 132g.

So given the extra 2 x 40g weight of the 317 rims means that XT 6 bolt hubs are heavier than SLX centre locks!

Would be interesting to compare XT centre locks hubs with SLX.......

Anyway either way,looks like there is some easy gains there,on the Anthem when I get round to replacing the wheels.Meanwhile I`m off to look at saving about 100g on skewers for next to nothing!

Based on my expereince so far,it looks as though Giant`s claim of 26lb for an Anthem X2 is somewhat optimistic.I reckon mine is more like 27lbs.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4