International day of the road going idiot

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    spen666 wrote:
    ChrisLS wrote:
    In my experience the school run, either end of the day, is one of the most dangerous times to be on the road. Drivers are distracted and under time pressure. I have also been run off the road and cut up by church goers on a Sunday morning, another bunch of distracted drivers so it would seem... :roll: :(

I've always found driving near any religious establishment is poor- and some of the selfish inconsiderate parking etc is incredible given that their religions teach consideration for others

They're only considerate to other religoids. The rest of us will burn in hell and the sooner; the better.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A girl who lived a few doors away got a 49cc scooter type thing but never went further than the newsagent 300yds up the road on it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,360
    Ben6899 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    ChrisLS wrote:
    In my experience the school run, either end of the day, is one of the most dangerous times to be on the road. Drivers are distracted and under time pressure. I have also been run off the road and cut up by church goers on a Sunday morning, another bunch of distracted drivers so it would seem... :roll: :(

I've always found driving near any religious establishment is poor- and some of the selfish inconsiderate parking etc is incredible given that their religions teach consideration for others

They're only considerate to other religoids. The rest of us will burn in hell and the sooner; the better.

As someone who (very) occasionally goes to church*, I'd have to admit that there does seem to be something in this. Mind on higher things perhaps? Or maybe the fear of being 'the one who always arrives late' :shock:

*Religoids - nice.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bluehelmet
    bluehelmet Posts: 156
    I lived : here The shops are behind the houses you can see on the right. My ex-g/f walked to car when we were popping up to the shop to get some food in.

Oooh, brizzie valley.

The chap 2 doors down takes the car to the gym and back every morning before work. It's all of half a mile...
  • Ben6899
    rjsterry wrote:
    *Religoids - nice.

I couldn't think of anything more complimentary. Sorry.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    ChrisLS wrote:

As someone who (very) occasionally goes to church*, I'd have to admit that there does seem to be something in this. Mind on higher things perhaps? Or maybe the fear of being 'the one who always arrives late' :shock:

*Religoids - nice.

I vaguely remember reading something about hybrid car drivers being more likely to misbehave on the road, than normal car drivers.

Something to do with the mentality that their efforts to be 'good' entitle them to things.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a similar phenomenon.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    bluehelmet wrote:
    I lived : here The shops are behind the houses you can see on the right. My ex-g/f walked to car when we were popping up to the shop to get some food in.

Oooh, brizzie valley.

The chap 2 doors down takes the car to the gym and back every morning before work. It's all of half a mile...

btw - the ex-g/f is one featured in the Girls in Short skirts thread

"Holy Thread combination Batman!"
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    ChrisLS wrote:
    *Religoids - nice.

Is there a church on DSK that later on (in the day) gets frequented and some of the attendees park in the FECKING CYCLE LANE.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rjsterry
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    *Religoids - nice.

No need for it to be complimentary or derogatory. I've no idea of your particular relationship with religion in its widest sense, and this isn't the place for a long-winded exposition (especially since we've all been told to lay off the serious stuff a bit since Girls...gate), but I find it pretty dispiriting that people are so ready to dismiss something - which is I'd argue pretty fundamental to human culture - on the basis of so little knowledge.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    ChrisLS wrote:

*Religoids - nice.

I vaguely remember reading something about hybrid car drivers being more likely to misbehave on the road, than normal car drivers.

Something to do with the mentality that their efforts to be 'good' entitle them to things.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a similar phenomenon.

@Rick Chasey: You will LOVE one of the items on this podcast.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• spen666 wrote:
    ChrisLS wrote:

The only thing they're considering is being first in the queue for a spot in heaven when the grim reaper comes.
    Orange Crush AM 15
    Airnimal Chameleon Ultra
    Planet X Team Alu
  • Ben6899
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    *Religoids - nice.

No need for it to be complimentary or derogatory. I've no idea of your particular relationship with religion in its widest sense, and this isn't the place for a long-winded exposition (especially since we've all been told to lay off the serious stuff a bit since Girls...gate), but I find it pretty dispiriting that people are so ready to dismiss something - which is I'd argue pretty fundamental to human culture - on the basis of so little knowledge.

Knowledge/evidence. Tomayto, tomarto.
    Ben

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    @Rick Chasey: You will LOVE one of the items on this podcast.
    :lol:

Heard about that one already.

Not sure it's commuter chat material anymore ;).
  • Tony-J
    Tony-J Posts: 53
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    *Religoids - nice.

May I suggest you join Pharyngula sir, and try this gem out there.
    Glen (work colleague) 'So Tony, those stars in the sky..they're not really small...they're really far away?'
    Glen:'so the Scottish, the Welch and the Irish all have their own languages..so why don't the English have their own language?'
  • rjsterry
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    *Religoids - nice.

Fair enough if you think its primary purpose is to explain physical phenomena. While there are those that take this line, there are plenty who think it's far from that.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    I go to church. I don't even have a driving licence. Not sure how that fits into the apparently acceptable rule of treating all religious people the same.

It's not like writing off an entire group of people has ever gone badly before.

Anyway this is heading fast for Godwins law. Already. All of you go and read "The state of play here" thread, then be nice to everyone. Just like us Christians are.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mapleflot
    mapleflot Posts: 81
    edited March 2012
    bails87 wrote:
    I saw two drivers getting out to inspect damage this morning after one had driven into the back of the other while they were in a massive queue of traffic doing about 1mph. How do you crash when you're going so slowly, in a straight line, with no junctions to worry about?!

As msmacunia mentioned:
    Texting texting 1-2-3. Hello.
    Seems most every 2nd car I see stopped/slowing in a jam now the driver `just happens' to appear to be inspecting his/her crotch.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    When you're not setting fire to other slightly different Christians :-D

Joking! (mostly)

Nope - we definitely need to step away from religion here - it's unwinnable for either side (or rather any of the 101+ sides) and only makes people grumpy.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Ben6899
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    *Religoids - nice.

Fair enough if you think its primary purpose is to explain physical phenomena. While there are those that take this line, there are plenty who think it's far from that.

I really do not know what its primary purpose is. I'm still trying to figure that one out.
    Ben

• rick_chasey
    mapleflot wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    I saw two drivers getting out to inspect damage this morning after one had driven into the back of the other while they were in a massive queue of traffic doing about 1mph. How do you crash when you're going so slowly, in a straight line, with no junctions to worry about?!

As msmacunia mentioned:
    Texting texting 1-2-3. Hello.
    Seems most every 2nd car I see stopped/slowing in a jam now the driver `just happens' to appear to be inspecting his/her crotch.

Browsing cakestop.
  • rick_chasey
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    *Religoids - nice.

I really do not know what its primary purpose is. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Really? Not even from a social / political / civi perspective?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    SimonAH wrote:
    Nope - we definitely need to step away from religion here - it's unwinnable for either side (or rather any of the 101+ sides) and only makes people grumpy.
    Probably a misquote but you'll get the idea.

"In polite conversation never discuss politics, religion or money".

Well that's the Chat Forum finished then :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rjsterry
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    *Religoids - nice.

Bleedin'ell, don't you start! ;)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    :lol:

That was my only planned contribution to that bit.

Honest.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Why do they put lightning conductors on churches though eh? Answer me that?

gently trolling, don't be offended!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    *Religoids - nice.

Maybe not the purpose in its truest sense, but the outcomes are rather more clear. Obviously.
    Ben

• rick_chasey
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Maybe not the purpose in its truest sense, but the outcomes are rather more clear. Obviously.

There we go :).

You side-stepped my 'someone is wrong on the internet' trigger.

All is well.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

All is well.

Did you expect me to bite? :D
    Ben

• rick_chasey
    Ben6899 wrote:

All is well.

Did you expect me to bite? :D

I obviously did!
  • rjsterry
    SimonAH wrote:
    Why do they put lightning conductors on churches though eh? Answer me that?

gently trolling, don't be offended!

Duh. Churches tend to be tall buildings, and lightning tends to strike tall buildings. Even if you were to take the view that all lightning is divinely targeted, your assuming that only 'good' people go to church.
    Pinnacle Monzonite