How many of us smoke?

Comments

• I smoked for 16 years, Im still a nicotine addict, but get my dose through vaping. I could never and will never smoke again, but I still need to quit my nicotine addiction.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    I smoked for 16 years, Im still a nicotine addict, but get my dose through faping. I could never and will never smoke again, but I still need to quit my nicotine addiction.

had to ftfy...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Peat wrote:
    I used to have a crush on a girl at work. For weeks i was totally besotted and was gradually plucking up the courage to talk to her and perhaps ask her out.

Then i saw her in the bus shelter outside, smoking a fag.

Instant dousing of the flame....

+1, massive turn off.
  • I smoked for 16 years, Im still a nicotine addict, but get my dose through faping. I could never and will never smoke again, but I still need to quit my nicotine addiction.

had to ftfy...

:shock: How did you know?
  • PedalPedant
    PedalPedant Posts: 185
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Nope not me - I have asthma anyways so probably wouldn't be a good idea.

I'm rather ashamed to admit that despite having asthma I managed to smoke about 20 a day for nearly 20 years :shock:

I packed in quite a few years ago and have never looked back. I have occasionally smoked other *ahem* recreational products but I can't stand even the smallest amount of tobacco any more.

One rather disappointing aspect of the banning of smoking in pubs is that I now realise that the smell of smoke was masking the stench of stale beer :-(

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Nope not me - I have asthma anyways so probably wouldn't be a good idea.

I'm rather ashamed to admit that despite having asthma I managed to smoke about 20 a day for nearly 20 years :shock:

I packed in quite a few years ago and have never looked back. I have occasionally smoked other *ahem* recreational products but I can't stand even the smallest amount of tobacco any more.

One rather disappointing aspect of the banning of smoking in pubs is that I now realise that the smell of smoke was masking the stench of stale beer :-(

PP

Also masked bad drains rather well.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I smoke.

Just not had one since 2005.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    Purely for interest: I found this short archive clip from 1962 fascinating; it covers reaction to the major study from the Royal College of Physicians that came out 50 years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17264442
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    asquithea wrote:
    Purely for interest: I found this short archive clip from 1962 fascinating; it covers reaction to the major study from the Royal College of Physicians that came out 50 years ago.

From next month tobacco products will be banned from public display in big supermarkets. Ministers are seriously considering plain packaging for cigarettes.

I'm a non smoker, but not actively anti smoking either. I noticed the change in shops with regards to the cigarette counter now being a set of closed sliding doors and thought it was an odd choice. Cigarettes have long had clear labels on with key phrases like "THIS WILL KILL YOU" so I'm not sure how hiding them from sight will deter would be smokers?

Conversely, alcoholic drinks continue to be glamourised, made cheaper to buy and look attractive to anyone who wanders into the booze aisle at a supermarket. Alcoholic ginger beer? WKD Blue? Etc.

I'm not anti drinking either by the way, just a little confused by the approach to trying to deter smoking in this way, but not drinking despite teen drinking being such a growing and problematic issue.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    asquithea wrote:

From next month tobacco products will be banned from public display in big supermarkets. Ministers are seriously considering plain packaging for cigarettes.

I'm a non smoker, but not actively anti smoking either. I noticed the change in shops with regards to the cigarette counter now being a set of closed sliding doors and thought it was an odd choice. Cigarettes have long had clear labels on with key phrases like "THIS WILL KILL YOU" so I'm not sure how hiding them from sight will deter would be smokers?

Conversely, alcoholic drinks continue to be glamourised, made cheaper to buy and look attractive to anyone who wanders into the booze aisle at a supermarket. Alcoholic ginger beer? WKD Blue? Etc.

I'm not anti drinking either by the way, just a little confused by the approach to trying to deter smoking in this way, but not drinking despite teen drinking being such a growing and problematic issue.

- Jon

Lobbying is a powerful force.
  • jonnyboy77

I haven't had my morning coffee, so can you explain?
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • rick_chasey
    jonnyboy77 wrote:

I haven't had my morning coffee, so can you explain?

I'm only new to it myself, but the short of it (as I understand it) is if you bombard policy makers and people who influence policy with stuff, especially well targeted stuff (information, data that supports your arguments, cash, etc), you tend to get your way.

Say you're SAB Miller. You get your lobbyist group to bombard MPs, and get you face to face with policy makers to put your case.

You persuade your suppliers (say, in this case, a glass company, the farmers' union for the farmers who grow your ingredients) to do the same.

Tabacco once was a powerful lobby force, since they had cash and lots of smokers. Now they don't, so they don't.

Alcohol still is.

http://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/h ... /lobbying/
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Veronese68 wrote:

PP

Also masked bad drains rather well.

and the inability of most men to hit (the inside of) urinals with any level of accuracy
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • jonnyboy77
    Tabacco once was a powerful lobby force, since they had cash and lots of smokers. Now they don't, so they don't.

Alcohol still is.

http://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/h ... /lobbying/

Ah, right I understand (coffee in hand ...). Thanks

Jon
  • rick_chasey
    Started some lobbying myself the other day.

Got some face-to-face time with a lord working on the high pay commission, had drinks with our the councillor for my ward, a chat with an MEP and starting lobbying my party re- Iran.

It's amazing what you can do with a little effort.
  • jonnyboy77

Got some face-to-face time with a lord working on the high pay commission, had drinks with our the councillor for my ward, a chat with an MEP and starting lobbying my party re- Iran.

I applaud the effort, and I think when I have a little more free time (just had child #2) I'd like to do more in the way of targeting health issues for children, focusing on exercise but also considering the impact of diet and issues like smoking & drinking.

- Jon
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

How did it go?
  • rick_chasey
    notsoblue wrote:

How did it go?

Looks like all the residential roads in my area will be 20mph by the end of the year which is good. (pretty sure that's not down to me, but she claimed I persuaded her to back it. We'll see, but I have no reason to assume she won't back it).

High pay guy said he'd look more closely at the causes and reasons for the complexity of high pay (I gave him my limited perspective on how certain high pay is negotiated...) and I'm waiting on news for the Iran effort so we can get going on that.
  • rick_chasey
    Noting to do with smoking ;).

But I'd imagine, back on topic, that it's a vicious circle for the tobacco industry. Not enough clout to affect policy properly any more. It's even become politically difficult to do anything with the tobacco industry in Europe and the US.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was outlawed within the next two decades.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Can't stand lobbyists they often work on assumption and/or haven't done full body of comprehensive research beyond finding information that reinforces their point.

I love smoking. Love it. There are few better things than a deep lushous red wine and cigarette. Love it. You're stressed, inhale and exhale. Bliss. You're in the pub, drunk and playing pool or darts I'd argue the the experience only feels complete with a cigarette in your pint holding drinking hand. I love the smell of cigarette smoke upon a woman. And there are few better things on this planet than having THAT craving and stress quenched with the lovely smooth fumes of Marlboro Light (or a Marlboro minty). Inhale and exhale, bliss.

But smoking is bad, it's unhealthy, it will lead to poor health or health problems. So while there are certainly short term enjoyments from it they aren't worth the long term risks. So I have quit.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I love the smell of cigarette smoke upon a woman.
    new-like-snogging-an-ashtray-lrg.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Can't stand lobbyists they often work on assumption and/or haven't done full body of comprehensive research beyond finding information that reinforces their point.

No way!

How many did you smoke and when did you quit?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

No way!

How many did you smoke and when did you quit?
    I couldn't tell you how many I smoked a day. Sometimes 1 or 2 and sometimes 20+. I smoked on and off from my teens until the Ms DDD fell pregnant. My smoking decreased massively when I started cycling in 2008 but would start up again when times got stressful/depressing. I've made a permanent decision to stop now though.

Interesting my drinking has reduced massively with the decision to stop smoking.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    Is interesting.

As someone who's never smoked and doesn't drink an awful lot - what is it about smoking & drinking that works well? Flavour? Like beer with a curry or red wine with steak? Thirst? Sensations more generally?
  • DonDaddyD
    edited March 2012
    DonDaddyD wrote:

No way!

For you, and this is no dig, I think Lobbying would be right up your street. You'll do the research, find it interesting and you are articulate enough to identify information that backs up your singular point.

Me? Believe it or not, I like to weigh and consider all the mitigating circumstances. I'm of the thought that very rarely is there one answer/solution.

Smoking is one thing where there is no defence for it. It's damaging, full stop. But there are other health related things (closing down A&E depatments - the proposal was sound) lobbyists champion for that could be argued either way and they aren't interested in the alternatives or counter arguments.
    Food Chain number = 4

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I had a 10-12 cigarettes a day habit between the ages of around 27 to 35. How many idiots start smoking in their late twenties right? Well I blame the Swedes. I was married to one and through her I was introduced to snus, which is raw tobacco or tobacco pouches you shove between your gums and the wall of your mouth so that the nicotine enters your blood stream through the gum wall. It gives you a nice, chilled buzz and any time we were over in Sweden I would buy some. One summer, however, I found myself using it more than before and I also bought myself a 'stock' of twenty pots to take back to home with me (probably similar to 200 fags). Once I'd finished them I discovered, without really realising it at the time, that I was now a nicotine addict and so what had once been very casual social smoking soon became a habit.

I tried quitting several times and only made it for good once I accepted that in giving up I was not saying goodbye to a friend, but was shaking off the devil. You really do feel bereaved that you will never again share that special alone time, just you and a cigarette, but the pay off of being able to breathe properly, of no longer stinking, of not having your heart race when climbing a short flight of stairs, of not p*ssing off your non-smoker friends, of not wasting your money, of not ageing before your time, of increasing your chances of not contracting cancer, heart disease or no end of hideous illnesses, is kind of worth it. Do I ever miss smoking now? Honestly, never ever. I consider myself to be a reasonably intelligent man, but I cannot believe I ended up a smoker. Definitely one of my biggest regrets in life.
  • DonDaddyD
    Is interesting.

As someone who's never smoked and doesn't drink an awful lot - what is it about smoking & drinking that works well? Flavour? Like beer with a curry or red wine with steak? Thirst? Sensations more generally?

For me it was in this order:

Sensation - nothing beats the feeling of inhaling a cigarette when stressed or drinking a ice cold crispy lager when "gasping".

Then

Taste - It's been a while but personally some food/alcohol tastes better with a cigarette. Don't know why, probably just subjective.

It's all consuming though and when the addiction sets in it's all about the sensation of having one than trying to cure the symptoms that made you want one in the first place.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,360
    I mentioned earlier that I once worked as a hospital cleaner. I was posted to the ward full of people dying from lung cancer, heart failure, emphysema, etc. a few times. It was unremittingly grim - almost worse than the burns unit, as there was no real hope of recovery for any of the patients. No-one believes it will happen to them (least of all the nurses who worked on that ward :shock: ), but gasping for air for weeks on end is not a way I want to go.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    A person could still become afflicted with the symptoms you've mentioned above and have had never smoked a cigarette a day in their life.

Of course there is no point helping you're health along the aforementioned route but at the same time we can't wrap ourselves in cotton wool, never living or experiencing on the basis of fear.

I guess it's just that my generation 'have now save later' lives within the ethos of "only live once" and you can never be too sure if x was going to be your way out anyway.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,360
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    A person could still become afflicted with the symptoms you've mentioned above and have had never smoked a cigarette a day in their life.

Of course there is no point helping you're health along the aforementioned route but at the same time we can't wrap ourselves in cotton wool, never living or experiencing on the basis of fear.

I guess it's just that my generation 'have now save later' lives within the ethos of "only live once" and you can never be too sure if x was going to be your way out anyway.

They could, but the increase in odds if they do smoke is so significant. I think the combined effects of the addictiveness of nicotine - all that 'bliss' you were on about - and the human capacity for denial are very powerful
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition