How many of us smoke?

Comments

• cadenzaaa
    cadenzaaa Posts: 36
    And that equally goes for that annoying squeaking noise that you emit when you walk eh? :roll:
    Apologies to anyone I may have offended with previous sig.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise?

Its not like you to be the voice of reason, RC :P
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,984
    I'm a non smoker, just making a point. I'm concerned that there is a new wave of "opressed" smokers standing up for their rights.

Personally, I'd like 10 minutes in the middle of the day, or when waiting for a train, to de-stress by masturbating. I don't see why anyone should object.

Nor for that matter do I understand why non-urinators should force me to endure hours of bladder discomfort, when its perfectly possible for me to wee up the nearest lamp post. The rain washes it away, whats the problem?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I'm a non smoker, just making a point. I'm concerned that there is a new wave of "opressed" smokers standing up for their rights.

Personally, I'd like 10 minutes in the middle of the day, or when waiting for a train, to de-stress by masturbating. I don't see why anyone should object.

Nor for that matter do I understand why non-urinators should force me to endure hours of bladder discomfort, when its perfectly possible for me to wee up the nearest lamp post. The rain washes it away, whats the problem?
    Did you misjudge the tone of this thread? The few that do smoke have admitted it and said that really they shouldn't Don't think this mythical oppressed minority exist on the site. You seem unnecessarily offended, maybe you should toddle off and have that wank in the corner to de stress.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cadenzaaa
    :lol: But then he'd need a cigarette. I presume he smokes after "sex".
  • First.Aspect
    edited March 2012
    dhope wrote:

Did you misjudge the tone of this thread? The few that do smoke have admitted it and said that really they shouldn't Don't think this mythical oppressed minority exist on the site. You seem unnecessarily offended, maybe you should toddle off and have that wank in the corner to de stress.
    Ah, a smoker then. Most people who smoke want to quit. Its expensive and there's a 50% chance its going to kill you eventually. No relationship between that and the self-awareness required to understand "diffusion". And yes, I've tried to hijack the thread.
  • cadenzaaa
    Squeak squeak...loosen those cheeks mate!
  • dhope
    dhope wrote:

Ah, a smoker then. Most people who smoke want to quit. Its expensive and there's a 50% chance its going to kill you eventually. No relationship between that and the self-awareness required to understand "diffusion". And yes, I've tried to hijack the thread.

A smoker in that I had 2 cigarettes last weekend, and I think a few more a fortnight before that. See my first post - I'll have a couple with a beer sometimes. I'll have a few next weekend as some of the people I'm out with are smokers.
    I'd quite happily see duty on cigs double or treble. Make tobacco a class C drug and stop its sale altogether, there are plenty of things that do far less harm that are far less tolerated by the police.
    Just not sure who you're hijacking the thread in aid of, nobody disagreed with you.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • First.Aspect
    dhope wrote:
    A smoker in that I had 2 cigarettes last weekend, and I think a few more a fortnight before that. See my first post - I'll have a couple with a beer sometimes. I'll have a few next weekend as some of the people I'm out with are smokers.
    I'd quite happily see duty on cigs double or treble. Make tobacco a class C drug and stop its sale altogether, there are plenty of things that do far less harm that are far less tolerated by the police.
    Just not sure who you're hijacking the thread in aid of, nobody disagreed with you.
    I couldn't care less if 25% of the population injected heroin, as long as they didn't leave needles lying around, or think that the little baggies it come in don't count as litter.

Don't take me too seriously. I also have an irrational hatred of Llamas.
  • dhope
    dhope wrote:
    I couldn't care less if 25% of the population injected heroin, as long as they didn't leave needles lying around, or think that the little baggies it come in don't count as litter.

Don't take me too seriously. I also have an irrational hatred of Llamas.
    Reeled in too fast too soon, sorry. Bored and out.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    SimonAH wrote:
    Embarrassing, but I do. Not in chimney fashion, but a bit. The worst thing is that I can't blame it on nicotine addiction as between midnight and end of work the following day I have no cravings at all. But get home and crack a beer or pour a glass of wine and I find myself standing in the garage four or five times over the evening.

Still, that's when I get my engineering ideas.....

I'm exactly the same(apart from the engineering ideas bit). I'm pretty ashamed of it as i know it's stupid but I do enjoy it; a cheeky tab or two in the evenings is great. Needless to say when on the booze it's pretty much de rigueur and I pretty much smoke one per pint. No cravings at all during the day though?
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    When I was in the Army I could do anywhere from 10 - 60 in 24 hours. When in BAOR the NAAFI sold them soooo cheap it was silly - I used to buy them in a carton of 200 at a time. I really could do 60 on a mess dinner night, there was no going outside for a smoke just light up and go for it. When I left and returned to UK I nearly shit meself at the cost and quit quick. Have now been stopped since 1/2/1990 and even a night out on the lash after a day at the rugby does't get me going on them.
    I do think the damage has been done as trying to race/TT finds me struggling somewhat.
    If people wish to smoke that is their choice, but I doo agree with the no smoking in the pub/restaurant.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    nope, tried it when i was younger but couldn't see the attraction.

If you are a keen cyclist then presumably you are always trying to ride faster than before/your mates/for no other reason than it's fun.

Why would you do something that makes that harder?
    FCN = 4
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I like beer and I like pie. Both of those make cycling harder.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    vitesse169 wrote:
    I do think the damage has been done as trying to race/TT finds me struggling somewhat.

Wish I could blame it on smoking!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I stopped cold turkey from 25-30 per day five years ago this Tuesday. The significant advantage I had in helping me with this was they 6 days in hospital following a heart attack. I also stopped drinking (well drinking as much) and have had no health issues since. Oh yeah I took a cut in hours at work too. I only work 55-60 per week now.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,360
    Very much a non-smoker here - I loathe the smell of them with a passion and the day they were banned from public buildings and workplaces was a happy one. Only trouble us that it's now seen as acceptable to loiter around the entrances of buildings to indulge one's habit - the entrance to our office is ankle deep in fag ends - and not content with blowing smoke in your face as you pass, the smokers seem to believe that they spontaneously disappear when hitting the ground.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the place I saw most smokers was when I worked as a hospital cleaner as a student. Nurses would get through 3 or 4 in a 15 minute break. It's a measure of how addictive they are that I found myself associating the smell with relaxing, just from the second-hand smoke.

Given the choice, I think I would prefer FA's suggestions over public smoking. I really don't like tobacco.

EDIT: SimonAH, have you tried keeping a notepad and pen next to the toilet?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Nope not me - I have asthma anyways so probably wouldn't be a good idea

My dad has given up now but my mum still smokes, im pretty sure they were both 30+ a day :shock:
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    rjsterry wrote:
    Very much a non-smoker here - I loathe the smell of them with a passion and the day they were banned from public buildings and workplaces was a happy one.

+1
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Gauloises roll-ups.
    I used to get that mixed up with Galois.
    It raises a few eyebrows on club runs when I sneak out at the cake stop.
    Not alone at CyB.
    Oh dear. Time to stop.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    rjsterry wrote:
    Very much a non-smoker here - I loathe the smell of them with a passion and the day they were banned from public buildings and workplaces was a happy one.

+1

Now this is interesting. I have admitted to being a light smoker yet I also can't stand the smell of most cigarettes. Cigars are my fag of choice, but have been known to smoke a roll-up, but the smell of a filter tipped B&H or even worse a SIlk Cut is absolutely foul to my nose. I have no idea what is in these cigarettes that makes them smell so cloying? Compared to the organic smell of a Drum roll-up they smell like a bucket of chemicals.

Now the smell of a good cigar, or even a pipe, I often find positively pleasant.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    rjsterry wrote:

+1
    +2

Can't stand the odour, its pretty awful. You can instantly tell if someone smokes by how they smell.

Its funny though, I don't really know anyone who smokes regularly any more.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The anti-smoking message in school is pretty strong.

We were told how bad it was from about the age of 5, and in most biology/science exam I did there was a question on the damage smoking can cause.

That and the cost prices a lot of kids out, so the pickup later on in adulthood is smaller.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    SimonAH wrote:

Now the smell of a good cigar, or even a pipe, I often find positively pleasant.

+1

i love the smell of cigars/ pipes but id never smoke one
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,360
    SimonAH wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

+1

Now this is interesting. I have admitted to being a light smoker yet I also can't stand the smell of most cigarettes. Cigars are my fag of choice, but have been known to smoke a roll-up, but the smell of a filter tipped B&H or even worse a SIlk Cut is absolutely foul to my nose. I have no idea what is in these cigarettes that makes them smell so cloying? Compared to the organic smell of a Drum roll-up they smell like a bucket of chemicals.

When I joined my local Scout group (would have been late 80s) a few of the leaders smoked Hamlet cigars. I think as a concession to us kids they stood to the side of the hall to smoke - those were the days :lol: :roll:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

+1

When I joined my local Scout group (would have been late 80s) a few of the leaders smoked Hamlet cigars. I think as a concession to us kids they stood to the side of the hall to smoke - those were the days :lol: :roll:
    That just reminds me of Dad.

He would smoke one or two hamlets in the evening when he was working (which was every night till about 10).

When I'd say goodnight I'd open his study door and peer at him through a thick haze of grey smoke to say goodnight.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    On a loosely related topic I think the smoking ban for pubs in residential areas is a bleedin' nuisance. There's a pub up the road from me, over a road and 6 doors up, that has a television that can be viewed from the garden. The noise of some of the twunts watching football can be a right nuisance. It's not too bad from my house, but I'd hate to live any nearer.
    I'd be happier if there was a smoking area in the building they could sit in and poison each other.
    Brings me to another point. Went to a pub with the kids and another family a while back. The kids were playing in the pub garden, we were sat inside. When I gave my daughter a kiss goodnight she smelt of smoke because of all the smokers being in the garden where the kids were.
  • MonkeyMonster
    Now cigars, yes. The odd one or two in my lifetime half smokedish. The weird thing is how some versions of marlboro lights can smell like a spliff...
    Walking home in shepherds bush there are more than a few "real marlboro lights" being smoked...
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I used to have a crush on a girl at work. For weeks i was totally besotted and was gradually plucking up the courage to talk to her and perhaps ask her out.

Then i saw her in the bus shelter outside, smoking a fag.

Instant dousing of the flame....

In answer to the OP - Tried it once when i was a kiddy. Didn't like it. Never wanted to try again.
  • MonkeyMonster
    Peat wrote:
    I used to have a crush on a girl at work. For weeks i was totally besotted and was gradually plucking up the courage to talk to her and perhaps ask her out.
    Then i saw her in the bus shelter outside, smoking a fag.
    Instant dousing of the flame....
    In answer to the OP - Tried it once when i was a kiddy. Didn't like it. Never wanted to try again.

Ahhh that effect. Odd and a lot of girls hate it - you can help them stop if you know a mutual disgusting person and remind them that when they smoke, they remind you of said disguting person. Does wonders for their quitting power.