How many of us smoke?

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Embarrassing, but I do. Not in chimney fashion, but a bit. The worst thing is that I can't blame it on nicotine addiction as between midnight and end of work the following day I have no cravings at all. But get home and crack a beer or pour a glass of wine and I find myself standing in the garage four or five times over the evening.

Still, that's when I get my engineering ideas.....
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    No, not really a good idea when you have asthma, plus it costs too much when I could spend it on bike gear
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Yeah, a bit. Not during the week but often with a beer.

file.php?avatar=494843_1323027220.jpg
    Something to do with the kids though isn't it
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    Not me, Never have done either.
    Just never seemed attractive to me even though my mates did.
    Always hated it and people smoking around me. its a horrible habit
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Nah I'm not that fast.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    15 to 20 a day . And the odd homemade one nudge nudge , i have found though that spliffs which makes your lungs more receptive to oxygen , increase my performance by about 10 % , regular sprint rides that i do near my house that i have done many times are fastest after a joint . I am not condoning Drug use . Its just an observation
    Britannia waives the rules
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    nope. Never have.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I don't smoke or drink and I've never touched drugs.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Nope.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    about 3 or 4 a month. from someone elses pack - when sh1tfced.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

My c0ck is the size of runway 1 at Heathrow terminal five, and sounds like Jimmy Hendrix just got out of a 747 and played Electric Ladyland on my pubes. :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    SimonAH wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

My c0ck is the size of runway 1 at Heathrow terminal five, and sounds like Jimmy Hendrix just got out of a 747 and played Electric Ladyland on my pubes. :D

I'm a NUN, what's smoking, drink or drugs
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    SimonAH wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Are you accusing me of terminological inexactitude? How dare you! I'm going to hop onto my flying pig and beat you to death with your own whanger!!!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I only smoke after sex. So no, I don't smoke any more. :roll:

:wink:
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Nope. A friend at school when we were both about 10 asked me if I wanted to try because obviously it was so cool. She said she'd got them and some matches so that afternoon when we got off the school bus, we stopped to give it a go.

Well... she stopped to give it a go. When I realised that her attempt to be cool was using the cigarette ends off the bus floor, it put me off for life.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I will have a few tabs with beer. But no more than 5-10 a week
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I tried it.

For forty years.

Then stopped.

Didn't like it.

Same happened with alcohol :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Never have smoked and don't really drink these days either. His nibs is a reformed cigarette smoker although he does come home stinking of the occasional cigar after an evening in the mess.

My mother has been a smoker for as long as I can remember and my father was when I was younger, so I'm surprised I never got into the habit.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • whitebait01
    whitebait01 Posts: 610
    Yep, not a great idea but I do enjoy smoking.
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Never been a habitual smoker. Most of my friends smoke, I don't like non-smokers.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    mar_k wrote:
    Not me, Never have done either.
    Just never seemed attractive to me even though my mates did.
    Always hated it and people smoking around me. its a horrible habit

+1 but the that could also have been the rebelling against the parents thing, as they both had a 40 a day habit and the lounge was like a pub in the evenings, with a thick cloud of smoke swirling around the ceiling.

As a consequence of this habit my father's long gone, from a heart attack at 40 and my mother kicked the habit a couple of years ago.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Smoke free since jan 7th. Having started social smoking last year after 5 years off from a forty a day habit. Cravings all but gone.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Guilty. In fact, I'm having one now. And then I'm going out on my bike. Oh, the shame.

Patches are in the bathroom, but until I get my lent sugar craving out of the way I'm not even looking at them. And both my parents succumbed to the big C - my mum when I was 23 and my dad a few years later, so I really really really should know better.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Have been smoke free since 17/7/09 and haven't thought about lighting another. Although I piled on weight when i quit I've lost pretty much all of it at this point.

I still feel the effects of being an ex 40a day smoker though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Nah.

None of my friends do either.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Nope. Never tried it.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I used to smoke 10-15 per day, up to 25 if I was out for a few drinks (before the smoking ban in pubs). Cut down to 1 a day in late 2001 but it started to pick up again so when I got a heavy cold/flu back in late 2005 I stopped completely for a few months to get rid of a chest infection that wouldn't go away. Since then I have smoked a couple a month, when I'm out for a drink with a smoker who I can cadge 1 off!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • mar_k
    I do think smoking in general is fast becoming 'uncool' these days which is a great thing
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,983
    I smoke. I particuarly enjoy an intense smoke at the upwind end of a station platform or bus stop. I'd never dream of walking the same distance down wind out of courtesy. I also enjoy a lingering long smoke in beer gardens on warm summer evenings, while all the non smokers have to suck it up or fester inside. It would never occur to me that a non smoker would in any way be bothered by my choice to smoke. It is my choice after all, and so I am entitled to do whatever the law does not explicitly prohibit.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I smoke. I particuarly enjoy an intense smoke at the upwind end of a station platform or bus stop. I'd never dream of walking the same distance down wind out of courtesy. I also enjoy a lingering long smoke in beer gardens on warm summer evenings, while all the non smokers have to suck it up or fester inside. It would never occur to me that a non smoker would in any way be bothered by my choice to smoke. It is my choice after all, and so I am entitled to do whatever the law does not explicitly prohibit.

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise?
  • mar_k

But as a smoker surely you should atleast show alittle bit of common courtesy towards others?
    We should all consider how our actions affect others.
    If I was sitting at a bus stop with my children and you come along and started smoking close to us I would have to say something to you.
    Its your choice to smoke yes, but its not mine or my childrens choice to breath in an inconsiderate smokers poison.

I find alot of smokers to be very ignorant, not all but a fair amount, and they all use the same daft 'its my right to do as I like' line.
    We all have to live in this world together and should try to do so as peacful as possible.
    Would it really hurt to step outside a bus shelter to exploit your right to smoke?
    Its little things in life that makes life a little nicer and showing a little consideration doesn't hurt or cost anything.