State of play here

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    'xactly. Best to start logging in Winter/Spring - then you can track progress come the Summer and feel even better about yourself...
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I stopped logging with strava late sept last year, I should really start again now after this enforced time off the bike to see how i improve
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    'xactly. Best to start logging in Winter/Spring - then you can track progress come the Summer and feel even better about yourself...

Indeed, race against yourself, it's the most rewarding. Especially if you start slowly
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,111
    notsoblue wrote:
    I get what you're saying (and I'm probably part of the problem) but can't you just ignore those threads if you don't like them? They eventually just burn out when everyone realises its become a circlejerk. Every now and again some pretty interesting (to me) stuff gets posted to them.

Exactly! They're just part of any web forum and the few times I get sucked into them and start trying to get all smart-arse I usually end up hating myself for taking it so bloody seriously.

Forums go through good and bad phases and one of the unfortunate truths about hanging around the same one for any length of time is they do appear to get a little tedious, as they inevitably become rather repetitive. I don't suppose any of us should expect too much from them.
    Guess I'm not totally blameless either, though it's sooo difficult not to get roped into some of these threads when you have time on your hands and somebody is obviously wrong on the internet ;-) Must try harder...

That said, I thought there was a time when it seemed to get pretty tedious here before the 'heavy' threads became more frequent. Like JT says, forums have their ups and downs. As a bit of an outsider to CC I've got another sandpit to play in, so I just spent more time there.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    There's only one thing for it, you all need to funny the feck up and take a no tolerance line on pixel thieves who fail to spend their time at the pointy end - pushing the big ring, in agony, into the wind of apathy.

This is after all a tinterweb forum for men with an unhealthy occupation with each others thighs and tight fitting clothing. Also occasional burds who, as we have seen in plain text on this very forum, have an unhealthy interest in men's thighs.

We need to retrench back to our core values and focus on thigh size - i see no other option. Personally I blame wiggle, also a lot of other people. This is not new I normally blame everyone else for lots of things. We all need to spend lots of time looking at ourselves in the mirror, naked.

Hang on I'll get my tape measure . . .

I'll be creating a separate thread on the matter - I'll be putting it in here and not in Commuting General - that is for serious discussions and hybrid-apologists only.

Edited to add . . .

I also found this whilst searching for abusive images to post on other peoples threads

bike-geek.jpg

That is the best thing I have ever seen ever . . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I agree that when "the usual combatants" step into the ring things usually get very long winded and predictable. And I confess to pulling on my gloves more often than I should - but I also contend that I've learned things and been exposed to positions of argument that I don't normally encounter.

When a thread turns to poo flinging it is a crying shame - but contentious and hotly debated threads are a part of what makes this place.

To draw an analogy with the root of this (eg the scantily cladettes) it's obvious when it is present and easily avoided regardless.

Now, back.to the lighthearted banter and (sur)real camaraderie that makes me love every cracked and flawed one of you!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I am now going to Richmond Park. Strava'd. If anyone wants to duel, keyboards at dawn.

ETA: Sometimes I think all (probably just me) need to be reminded why we come here.

Disgruntled cyclist be damned.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Greg T wrote:
    There's only one thing for it, you all need to funny the feck up and take a no tolerance line on pixel thieves who fail to spend their time at the pointy end - pushing the big ring, in agony, into the wind of apathy.
    [. . .]

Edited to add . . .

I also found this whilst searching for abusive images to post on other peoples threads

bike-geek.jpg

That is the best thing I have ever seen ever . . .

Quality!
    Re-posting this as the first in a "Pictures that make you LOL" thread and hope that those with a humour-bypass don't wade in with wall-of-text about how unfunny it is?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    That picture is completely out of place, what does that have to do with cycling, this forum should only be for purest "I could have been a pro" cycle-commuter types and all things Rapha/Castelli
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    itboffin wrote:
    That picture is completely out of place, what does that have to do with cycling, this forum should only be for purest "I could have been a pro" cycle-commuter types and all things Rapha/Castelli

I refer my learned friend to "commuting general". He has I believe shown an interest in the past in a half road/half sh1t bike and should find himself well at home there
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • DDD's filth about other posters has been removed, the moderation's ok if you alert the mods to the bile he posts.
  • itboffin
    Commuting General !!!! no farking way have I ever been into the BR equiv of Swindon
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Paul E
    I feel dirty if I go into Commuting General
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DDD's filth about other posters has been removed, the moderation's ok if you alert the mods to the bile he posts.
    Not seeing the irony standing between your venomous post and the purpose of the thread, no?

Didn't think so.

Anyway, this strava thing is amazing! Data to follow.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    "nit-picking" should be hyphenated.

Funny as you like :mrgreen:
    Britannia waives the rules
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    :lol: I had honestly assumed that you knew what it was and were avoiding joining for fear of putting a number on Power Awesome.
    Welcome. There's a post about Strava somewhere here...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Paul E wrote:

I quite like Commuting General. Very much maligned and misunderstood, that place. A warm glow comes over me when I post there; as if I'm helping my fellow man.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

I quite like Commuting General. Very much maligned and misunderstood, that place. A warm glow comes over me when I post there; as if I'm helping my fellow man.

ghey! and a little bit creepy too
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DDD's filth about other posters has been removed, the moderation's ok if you alert the mods to the bile he posts.
    Not seeing the irony standing between your venomous post and the purpose of the thread, no?

Didn't think so.

it is good fun, richmond park segments are a tat silly.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    "nit-picking" should be hyphenated.
    :D
    Award this man an award.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I'm stuck in a hotel room in the far extreme north of northerness (Warwicksire I believe) and GregT's post about admiring his naked thighs nearly made me die laughing. I really should get back to the important matter of hiding the bar bill amongst other expenses.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I really should get back to the important matter of hiding the bar bill amongst other expenses.
    Ask for an unitemised bill for "meals".
    Or would that be, like, tax avoidance :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    daviesee wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I really should get back to the important matter of hiding the bar bill amongst other expenses.

Technically it would be fraud, therefore it would be like tax evasion.......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I'm stuck in a hotel room in the far extreme north of northerness (Warwicksire I believe) and GregT's post about admiring his naked thighs nearly made me die laughing. I really should get back to the important matter of hiding the bar bill amongst other expenses.

What, like prostitutes? That should work. :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Sketchley wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Same thing ain't they, morally.

<runs away>
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Paul E
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

I wasn't going to say anything but yes a bit creepy and I thought he was about to carry on into the shamens ebeneezer goode tune (in red)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Paul E wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

I wasn't going to say anything but yes a bit creepy and I thought he was about to carry on into the shamens ebeneezer goode tune (in red)

The very tune I had in mind. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Shuffles feet & raises hand: my name is shouldbeinbed and I quite like Commuting General.

Look back to threads a few years ago, practically none of those posters are here now. Forums go in cycles, as a few people & their interests start to dominate so others drift off until the dominant ones have no audience left.

Anyway, just nipping over to cake stop to release my inner scumbag perverse misogynist :-D
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Sketchley wrote:
    Technically, yes. I was only having a bit of site mischievous fun :wink:
    You know how some people respond to these things :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,923
    Anyway, just nipping over to cake stop to release my inner scumbag perverse misogynist :-D

Going to have to do better than that to beat us cake stoppers. Have a look in Cake Stop, I dare you. I think you'll find threads such as these interesting to read.

Your cake stop needs YOU!! http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12839835
    Girls in commuting forums http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12840011

And my personal favourite,

The ultimate PC picture thread http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12839870
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****