State of play here

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
The forum has changed a fair whack since I've started reading here, it used to be a lot of fun and banter, but I've been coming here less and less and I think Supersonic's lockdown post puts it rather well.
Instead it seems many people are more intent on arguing, nit picking, being extremely pedantic not to mention the levels of hypocrisy. Parts of the thread are serious, others are humorous, yet many can't tell the difference which just causes more flaming, trolling and arguing.

I've sorted his spelling out obviously...

It's just nearly always goes to the nth degree of pedantry and way past Godwins law on way too many occasions. It really is very tiresome
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It's worse than Nazi Germany in here, nowadays.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • "nit-picking" should be hyphenated.
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    The forum has changed a fair whack since I've started reading here, it used to be a lot of fun and banter, but I've been coming here less and less and I think Supersonic's lockdown post puts it rather well.
    Instead it seems many people are more intent on arguing, nit picking, being extremely pedantic not to mention the levels of hypocrisy. Parts of the thread are serious, others are humorous, yet many can't tell the difference which just causes more flaming, trolling and arguing.

It's just nearly always goes to the nth degree of pedantry and way past Godwins law on way too many occasions. It really is very tiresome

Yeah, see that is a good point, except you missed the full stop at the end. And it's "Godwin's". You missed the apostrophe. You clot.

I have been thinking about this myself a bit recently, and I tend to agree. For me one of the issues is number of political threads we have. I put my hands up to fuelling that particular fire, but in mitigation I'd point out that if no one told the lefties they were wrong, where would we be then?

I think it's time for me to step away from those threads. They've been done to death, then revived and killed again. Think I'll try to stick to frivolous banter again.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I think it's safe to say that some people are taking some things a little too seriously...
  • maddernj
    maddernj Posts: 50
    This thread is useless without t*ts......
    Joe Waugh Fixed (48*17 )
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,362
    Clever Pun wrote:

Arguing is fine - in my book at least - if it's going somewhere. The threads which boil down to a couple of opposing positions batting the same point back and forth are pretty tedious. I've probably been guilty of pedantry on more than one occasion - will try an rein that in. On not getting jokes - it can be difficult to tell based on text alone, but maybe some could give others the benefit of doubt.

EDIT: +1 to limiting the political stuff - who knew that would be the conclusion of DDD's "Girls..." thread.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clever Pun
    :lol: excellent pedantry

Maddernj, there's tits all over this forum
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    it's all the right wing liberalists fault with their duck pond castles... and wiggle for delivering the pedalo.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    This is the final straw. If there are no decent threads left on here it might mean I have to do some work. God forbid. I'm downing tools and heading off to ride in Richmond Park by means of a personal protest. Happy weekend all.....
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    What say we jump ship and form a breakaway forum and call it 'YetAgainAnotherFrigginCyclingLondoncentricButWeWill
    TolerateOutsidersFixedAndGearedSingleAndMultispeedChat'?

Edit: Oops! Broke the forum wrap with that title
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    kelsen wrote:
    What say we jump ship and form a breakaway forum and call it 'YetAgainAnotherFrigginCyclingLondoncentricButWeWillTolerateOutsidersFixedAndGearedSingleAndMultispeedChat'?
    Why tolerate ss or fg? Don't you know a small kitten is eaten everytime they don't change gear?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • kelsen wrote:
    What say we jump ship and form a breakaway forum and call it 'YetAgainAnotherFrigginCyclingLondoncentricButWeWill
    TolerateOutsidersFixedAndGearedSingleAndMultispeedChat'?

Edit: Oops! Broke the forum wrap with that title

I don't think a new forum is needed.

Hell, I'm not even contrite enough to spend some time in Commuting General as penance.

Do you know, they have some threads in there that are approaching THREE PAGES in length? Incredible, I know, but true.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    Greg66 wrote:
    Hell, I'm not even contrite enough to spend some time in Commuting General as penance.

I just looked in there. First thread title I saw:

"Looking For Flat Bar Road Bike"

*Shudder*
  • Greg66 wrote:

*Shudder*

Ah, there are some proper classics in there.

Which bike?
    Which cheap bike?
    Which folder?
    Which hybrid?
    Which wheels?
    Which chain?
    Which shoes?
    Which pannier?
    Which mudguards?
    Which insurance?
    and best of all
    Which PI lawyer?

It's a right rollickin' rollercoaster ride, I tell you.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

*Shudder*

Which bike?
    Which cheap bike?
    Which folder?
    Which hybrid?
    Which wheels?
    Which chain?
    Which shoes?
    Which pannier?
    Which mudguards?
    Which insurance?
    and best of all
    Which PI lawyer?

Busy much, Greg?
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

*Shudder*

Which bike?
    Which cheap bike?
    Which folder?
    Which hybrid?
    Which wheels?
    Which chain?
    Which shoes?
    Which pannier?
    Which mudguards?
    Which insurance?
    and best of all
    Which PI lawyer?

Busy much, Greg?

Rather slow afternoon, must admit.

How'dya guess?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited March 2012
    Meh, by the time I mount my bike I pay it no mind.

I also tend to keep myself to myself when on the bike, it balances things out. But even I am going to stop myself more than I have ever done in the past...

Richmond Park tomorrow morning. Yay.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Clever Pun wrote:

I get what you're saying (and I'm probably part of the problem) but can't you just ignore those threads if you don't like them? They eventually just burn out when everyone realises its become a circlejerk. Every now and again some pretty interesting (to me) stuff gets posted to them.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I must say as a relative newcomer I agree, and I wasn't even here in the old days. I tell myself not to comment on the serious threads, but get sucked in. I shall try to be stronger.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Internet arguing will always end up like that, in the end it's pretty pointless as you always get keyboard warriors who always think they are right and patently don't listen and then only pick the arguement apart bit by bit by quoting the opposing views posts and answering in petty ways point by point or by posting links to back themselves up.

When that happens I stop immediatly as I have better thing to do and I am a little more mature these days and would rather ride my bike which is why I joined here.
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Strava?
  • kelsen
    kelsen wrote:
    What say we jump ship and form a breakaway forum and call it 'YetAgainAnotherFrigginCyclingLondoncentricButWeWillTolerateOutsidersFixedAndGearedSingleAndMultispeedChat'?
    Why tolerate ss or fg? Don't you know a small kitten is eaten everytime they don't change gear?
    I meant tolerate the bumpkins living outside the country of London
  • Clever Pun
    notsoblue wrote:
    I get what you're saying (and I'm probably part of the problem) but can't you just ignore those threads if you don't like them? They eventually just burn out when everyone realises its become a circlejerk. Every now and again some pretty interesting (to me) stuff gets posted to them.

yes ignoring them is the way to go, but they all seem to go like that, so I end up just logging off and little time has been wasted/passed

in short the fun has been replaced with tedium, hell, I've even started looking at cake stop

Could be many things as to why this place doesn't do it for me as much anymore.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Strava?

:lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    getting older?
  • kelsen
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Strava?
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I would but I only have a dumb phone, sorry
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited March 2012
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Strava?
    Nah, honestly, I'm not there yet. Or where I was a year or so ago in terms of confidence or fitness. I'm just putting miles in the legs. End of month I'll start timing myself.

ETA: Clever Pun laughed at me.... this is me stopping myself: "Oh go on then". DDD is Strava Enabled.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    notsoblue wrote:

Exactly! They're just part of any web forum and the few times I get sucked into them and start trying to get all smart-arse I usually end up hating myself for taking it so bloody seriously.

Forums go through good and bad phases and one of the unfortunate truths about hanging around the same one for any length of time is they do appear to get a little tedious, as they inevitably become rather repetitive. I don't suppose any of us should expect too much from them.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Strava?
    Nah, honestly, I'm not there yet. Or where I was a year or so ago in terms of confidence or fitness. I'm just putting miles in the legs. End of month I'll start timing myself.
    No matter, I'm never going to set the world on fire. I'm sliding into my mid 40's and my knees are a bit rubbish, but it's still a bit of fun. I tell myself I'm only competing against myself, then I realise that's utter codswallop and try and get up the leader board.
  • kelsen
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Strava?

ETA: Clever Pun laughed at me.... this is me stopping myself: "Oh go on then". DDD is Strava Enabled.
    It'll be good to have it running anyway, because not only will you have benchmarks to aim for, you'll have a log of your own progress. There's also an option to keep your rides private as well I believe. Do it!