Cheshire Cat

Comments

• focus123
    focus123 Posts: 21
    Wow.... you bunch of frickin women! I cant believe what crap this thread has turned into! I was gonna ride this until today but because of this pompous nonsense I've entered the chirk 200k audax .... A 5 quid better spent!
    So you've spent 32 quid on the C cat then dont ride it because of a few comments on this forum! very strange!
    Focus Cayo 105
    Graham Weigh (631 mirage)
    GT Avalanche gathering dust
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    It's sunny. All you'll need are Shorts, base layer, SS Jersey, Armwarmers and mitts. MTFU.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    lost that much weight that club shorts and ss jersey too big, new ones are being made as I type, so choice limited, is it foggy over there? Waiting for it to lift here, 100 yds vis at moment
  • napoleond
    Its glorious sun this morning and supposed to be the same tomorrow.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Griffsters wrote:
    Ohh you big manly brute, come over here and give us a kiss!

:lol:

Alexberry, have we brought some repressed masculinity crisis to the surface?

You should ride the Cat anyway, we won't judge you.
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Its glorious sun this morning and supposed to be the same tomorrow.

excellent, should be a great day
  • focus123
    The sunshine will also mean more Sunday motorists, some of whom get very irate on finding hundreds of cyclists holding them up!
    Focus Cayo 105
  • napoleond
    All the roads on that route get very busy on a Sunday. Especially when it's nice. Mow Cop can be a mare with cars.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    May have to ride over to watch the antics on Mow Cop.Agree with the Napsters assessment of wardrobe dept.Glorious here in Derbyshire right now.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • napoleond
    I may have a ride over to watch too!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I may have a ride over to watch too!

Are you thinking about a race return this year, Alex?
    A couple of us are doing a few circuits of your Siddington tomorrow morning as I am starting to be slightly concerned about my race fitness after last week when I had prior engagement to the spring fling.
  • napoleond
    Not this year, miles away from race fitness. May do some club TTs on my road bike. In fact I think I may have done with racing for good, my accident cost me too much in terms of physical/mental health, money/career and lost time with family. Don't know if I can take that risk again.
    I may bump into you tomorrow morning then...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    well you have the years on your side .. :-) speed I'm going at I could probably recite a Mary Berry cake recipe very easily
  • The-beast
    The-beast Posts: 140
    Don't forget the clocks go forward tonight
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    nevman wrote:
    May have to ride over to watch the antics on Mow Cop.Agree with the Napsters assessment of wardrobe dept.Glorious here in Derbyshire right now.

wait at the top with a king of the eccles cakes flag. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Best day of the year here, enjoyed my spin along some of the route before the paying customers went through.
  • seadog12
    seadog12 Posts: 36
    Looks like they learned lessons from last year. We arrived at just before 9 for the 9 - 9:30 off, no queus, we just were usjered to the start where we had a short safety speech and were off. People who did last years say it was a massive improvement. Food stations were also well organised with plenty of stuff on offer. All in all, especially with the weather, a great day.
  • focus123
    I agree, very good start and finish big improvement from last year. Only negative was the potholed roads, they were downright dangerous!
    Focus Cayo 105
  • Der Kaiser
    Der Kaiser Posts: 172
    I was very impressed. Great weather, Great Ride and a great massage afterwards.

Has to be said that I think The local council need to get there act together sorting out some of the potholes. I thought the were bad in Shropshire but some of the ones encountered were accidents waiting to happen.

Would do another Kilo to go event and may well do the cat again next year.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    totally agree about the potholes - they had warnings aboutthe descent from mow cop but there was a descent from another hill where the safest route was actually on the other side of the road, hehe.

Funny as, turned up at quarter to ten, thought just got time for a cup of tea, duly had one that asked the marshall where the blue zone was - "oh its shut, theyve all gone", haha even before I'd started I was coming last. :D

awesome day though - one of my bestest days on a bike ever.
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    Fantastic weather, thoroughly enjoyed it but was ready for that finish line when it appeared!

Thought everything ran pretty smoothly, even the parking wasnt a problem. Although I did get there a tad early... Only thing i can fault is me, I forgot to start my Garmin (did course then forgot to press start :oops: ) and only realised at the first feed station. What a muppet. Wanted to store my longest ride for much analysis, but its has 26 miles missing :x

Found i was dragged along nicely by some groups - definately averaging more speed than when solo. As always tho the hills sapped me, i'm crap on them. I need to work on that.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    All very slickly organised with superb weather; cycled into start at 8:30 and was away by 8;40 with no queues etc as feared, well done KTG. Good to finally ride Mow Cop, glad of a 29 even for just 100 m :) . Some really nice scenery too as edged around Peak district, with other good climbs . Good fast run thereaafter in last 50 miles. Superb weather added to it all :):)

As comments above potholes were dreadful, I was under impression Cheshire was a wealthy county :shock: , but if so the money hasn`t gone on road surfacing it seems :( . Made some section sreally dangerous, and at time not helped by really impatient drivers forcing by putting riders into rough road sections :(:(
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    Couldn't have asked for a more glorious day - epic ride. Hats off to the organisation - everything worked out nicely with no queuing! Really beautiful route however the potholes were a nightmare - need to get the spoke key and true my wheels :(
  • friso
    friso Posts: 107
    Credit wheres credit due, the organisers adressed the issues last year and put them right, well done for a great run event, great feed stations too

My only niggle was that out of the twenty club mates we bought alone three had different coloured tags, disapointing that they couldn't ride with their training buddies, be better if we can all join as a club next year?

Much harder than last year with the addition of Gun Hill and the last climb at 80 miles
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Awesome time, lovely weather. Thanks to Clitheroe Bike Club for sheltering me and a member of the St Helens Club (Adam). Missed out on silver by 9 minutes owing to that shelter though.

Had a great time, loved the Mow Cop climb, less impressed with everyone who stopped straight after climbing it.

Did anyone catch a glimpse of the accident at the back of Gun Hill? I heard a rumour that someone had failed to make the sharp left hand turn at the bottom of the descent.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    some pics are already up, I think was the first photographer at about 10 miles or so

http://www.sportspicture.co.uk/p673761862

the others are due to be out up here

http://www.philoconnor.com/sportive/
  • JamesB
    Missed out on silver by 9 minutes owing to that

closer than that ----8 seconds outside :( due to 1. signs being moved at rd junction :x :x in last 10 miles, did an extra 1/2 Mile`triangle ` back round; 2 lots red lights in nantwich; Reckon overall 7 min lost due to these
  • JamesB
    I think was the first photographer at about 10 miles or so

no reckon a lot later than that, after first feed stop as my pic shows I`d removed all the cold weather hat / gloves :)
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    JamesB wrote:
    Missed out on silver by 9 minutes owing to that

closer than that ----8 seconds outside :( due to 1. signs being moved at rd junction :x :x in last 10 miles, did an extra 1/2 Mile`triangle ` back round; 2 lots red lights in nantwich; Reckon overall 7 min lost due to these

Yeah, we had one hiccup, where we missed a sign on the A51, and were half way to Liverpool on a dual carriageway before we realised some was wrong. Had to climb up a grass bank under a flyover to get on a lane back to Huxley. With the extra cyclo-cross section still made it in a reasonable riding time of 5:59h (total with stoppages 7:42h)
  • What a great day it was!

I've uploaded my head-cam footage of the Mow Cop ascent, if anyone wants to relive it!

http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/03/ch ... -sportive/

more footage to come, but this was an obvious choice to process first.
    Alan
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk

The Ultimate List of Strava Add On Sites!
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/strava-sites