Kuurne - Brussels - Kuurne -*Spoilers*

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    iainf72 wrote:
    Tusher wrote:
    He'll be signed by DB next year. And at the press conference, he'll say that he'll be given lots of chances to ride for himself, and then he'll be Cav's lead-out man for every race.

Why sign him if Cavendish doesn't need him?

Well, we ll have to see how Bernie does, but it's a strong partnership, it certainly can't hurt to have him on the team, especially if he night end up riding for someone else. Depends how valuable he is at the time really

I MTFU'd and went out on my bike so i missed the race but never mind, well done Cavendish!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I saw a cav win in the headlines and thought i didn't miss much. However I read the whole cycling news ticker and it sounded pretty good. A group of heavyweights were out ahead after a split by rabo from a whole 80km out and then it was messy until sky finally pulled it all back for a boring cav win (no effort other than following wheels for all but 300m). The highlights shld be good. I'd recommend reading the ticker. Apparently J vaughters tweeted that Gilbert was complaining over lack of radios when previously he was the ucis support man...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    ddraver wrote:

I MTFU'd and went out on my bike so i missed the race but never mind, well done Cavendish!

Me too.... anyone know any good links to video of the last 30 mins or so?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Dabber wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xp2e4t_kbk-12_sport

You may as well skip to final couple of KM though.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    I saw a cav win in the headlines and thought i didn't miss much. However I read the whole cycling news ticker and it sounded pretty good. A group of heavyweights were out ahead after a split by rabo from a whole 80km out and then it was messy until sky finally pulled it all back for a boring cav win (no effort other than following wheels for all but 300m). The highlights shld be good. I'd recommend reading the ticker. Apparently J vaughters tweeted that Gilbert was complaining over lack of radios when previously he was the ucis support man...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gilbert-i-didnt-have-the-legs
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    iainf72 wrote:
    Dabber wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

You're a star :D Thanks a lot.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • I suspect that we won't hear much about "The curse of the Rainbow Jersey" this year!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • I saw a cav win in the headlines and thought i didn't miss much. However I read the whole cycling news ticker and it sounded pretty good. A group of heavyweights were out ahead after a split by rabo from a whole 80km out and then it was messy until sky finally pulled it all back for a boring cav win (no effort other than following wheels for all but 300m). The highlights shld be good. I'd recommend reading the ticker. Apparently J vaughters tweeted that Gilbert was complaining over lack of radios when previously he was the ucis support man...

It must make it sound more interesting than it was. The second most interesting thing in the race (apart from Cav's win) was Kevin Hulsmans getting a puncture.

All Sky need for a good train is a fast run in and a dead straight last km, simple really
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,558
    Cav interview (with some swearing) here
    http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozon ... /1.1231107
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    That was easy. Griepel looked badly positioned inside the last 300m - was on Cav's wheel then seemed to lose him. Boonen went AWOL. Hutarovich looked pretty strong but Cav was positioned so well he could control it - never looked like losing it. Agreed, fairly dull though after yesterday.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Good views of the Sky/Kask helmets on the Cycling News articles if you're an equipment nerd. To be honest it just looks like they ve skipped the stage where they cut vents out when they re making them.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Game face!
    Getty
    16c44bd29b372b951fa0963e0f675313-getty-509176291.jpg
    8295721361a5f70463b568795754bea0-getty-509176081.jpg
    Disgusting helmets:
    a8a6d92ae7dde687e8a02acd7fabc5dc-getty-509176144.jpg
    Revolting helmet:
    d37c8495ee72fc084a8d249b3dc99799-getty-509176087.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Contador is the Greatest
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    anyone got a link to the last 5/10k?
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    FF - you are Bruno, and I claim my £5.

BrunoUNI_450x300.jpg

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • rebs wrote:
    anyone got a link to the last 5/10k?
    iainf72 wrote:
    Dabber wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Contador is the Greatest
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    thanks, seeing lots of 1km vids out but looking for something a little longer.

I'm very much the anti Iain in that I do like to see how the buildup to the last few km's develop :P
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Who was Cav's lead out man? I couldn't make him out in the video. Sutton?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    Yawn

As usual for KBK I suppose.

Is KBK also organised by van Petergem, or is that just the Omloop?

Belgians were going on about how Petergem has really turned Omloop into a great course.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Impressive sprint from Cav, Sky really did the business today.

Obviously not as exciting as yesterday but I like the hard mans Omloop on saturday and the sprintfest KBK on sunday, bit of everything!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,194
    Sky got their tactics spot on. Put 3 men in a break to force others into working then controlled it well through the rest of the race. FF when will you come to realise that the best sprinter in the world (and most of the other main sprinters) have the job of doing nothing until the last 300m? It's a team sport and Sky earned him that right by controlling the race.
  • Pross wrote:
    Sky got their tactics spot on. Put 3 men in a break to force others into working then controlled it well through the rest of the race. FF when will you come to realise that the best sprinter in the world (and most of the other main sprinters) have the job of doing nothing until the last 300m? It's a team sport and Sky earned him that right by controlling the race.

They need to ride at the same tempo as the peloton up until their team turns the gas on, then ride at the front behind a good many of guys, then battle to maintain their position, then sprint. They do not however, in most cases, put their nose into the wind or do anything of note during the rest of the race. They are also more protected then most other riders, having 1-many team members all through the race around them. I mean even Cavendish says it himself all the time - he just needs to ride the wheels of his team then sprint.

I'm not denying Sky rode well and what they did wasn't hard. Chapeau the team members.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Slightly misread your wording. To reply more specifically:

I'm not suggesting the sprinters are not doing what they should and are paid to do.

Just that it doesn't interest or impress me. To be honest I have a lot more respect for their team members.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Slightly misread your wording. To reply more specifically:

I'm not suggesting the sprinters are not doing what they should and are paid to do.

Just that it doesn't interest or impress me. To be honest I have a lot more respect for their team members.
    I am sure the riders read your posts and are worried you do not respect sprinters.
  • Pross
    Slightly misread your wording. To reply more specifically:

But think of the tremendous pressure that puts them under to get results. If 7 other people are giving up any chance of winning themselves to put you in the ideal place to take the victory you really have to deliver. The beauty of cycling is that there are courses for all types of riders and all types of spectators. Saturday saw an aggressive race won from a small break as the course was suited to that, Sunday saw a controlled race leading to a bunch sprint won by the best in the business at finishing those races and then there was Lugano which was won by a solo attack. Variety is the spice of life. Oh, and turning on a flat out sprint for 300m after that length of time in the saddle whether they have been protected for the whole race is impressive to me.
  • rick_chasey
    It is fair to say, however good sky are, when I read "great sky tactics" and "sky the strongest team" this season, 9 times out of 10 it's going to be a boring race to watch.

Saw the highlights of this race and the only interesting bit I saw was when sky wasn't in control.

Still though, anyone know how much time Cavendish lost on the hills?

He keeps this up he'll be an interesting figure come August...
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    It is fair to say, however good sky are, when I read "great sky tactics" and "sky the strongest team" this season, 9 times out of 10 it's going to be a boring race to watch.

Saw the highlights of this race and the only interesting bit I saw was when sky wasn't in control.

He keeps this up he'll be an interesting figure come August...

He was near the front of the peloton on the hills that I saw.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

When Greipel attacked on a short climb, a group of 8~10 went with him- one of them was Cav. (Though its probably truer to say that when Greipel attacked, Eisel dragged and bullied Cav into the group)
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    For me that's more impressive, especially coming from him.

Being dropped on the Poggio and coming back on Hincape's wheel is one thing - staying near the front on Vlaamse Hellingen is something else.
  • Pross
    For me that's more impressive, especially coming from him.

Being dropped on the Poggio and coming back on Hincape's wheel is one thing - staying near the front on Vlaamse Hellingen is something else.

What's more impressive is Greipel attacking on a climb. Two years ago he couldn't get over a speed bump without being dropped.