Debate on cycling in HoC

124»

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,365
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    There are regulations on how far out, how wide etc the lines should be in order to be legal. If they don't conform, they can be flouted and any tickets/penalties appealed and thrown out.
    If they are as far out as you suggest, complain and get them either removed or repainted in the right place.
    023113ba.gif
    They probably are within those dimensions, but given that the cycle lane is barely 2 feet wide, with a queue of cars tight against the white line, there quite a hazard.
    This gives an idea
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    rjsterry wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    There are regulations on how far out, how wide etc the lines should be in order to be legal. If they don't conform, they can be flouted and any tickets/penalties appealed and thrown out.
    If they are as far out as you suggest, complain and get them either removed or repainted in the right place.
    023113ba.gif
    They probably are within those dimensions, but given that the cycle lane is barely 2 feet wide, with a queue of cars tight against the white line, there quite a hazard.
    This gives an idea

I get you now. Just generally crap infrastructure.
    I'd seriously consider complaining to my MP if I were you. I think now is the time to get all of our complaints in. Really hammer home to the MPs that there are a shitload of us and we deserve to be considered when roads are designed, relaided and repainted.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    If you know someone who lives in Battersea... my local MP wouldn't be so much use. Seriously though, the difficulty in finding who you should complain to and then how is why so much of this sort of thing never gets sorted
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    rjsterry: I just wouldn't be in that cyclelane at all.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,771
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The roads are for adults even as a youngin I wasn't too sure about riding on the road until I was about 15. Even then I hopped between pavement and road.

There are many reasons why kids don't ride to school along with the roads aren't safe.

You say that, and yet you won't support a campaign to improve matters for more nervous cyclists because you're alright.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    All done.

I for one am largely encouraged by the enthusiasm of MPs and Ministers at the debate. Lets see if all that talking results in action.

Very unlikely. Talk costs nothing.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • rjsterry
    bails87 wrote:
    I'd prefer not to be but it's one of those short green phase sets of lights and the queue of traffic often stretches back under the railway as you can see. The alternatives are sitting in the queue for 10-15 minutes or riding down the RHS of the queue - the road is just as cramped with a tiny cycle lane, so if you meet someone coming the other way, there is nowhere to go.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• bails87
    rjsterry wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    I'd prefer not to be but it's one of those short green phase sets of lights and the queue of traffic often stretches back under the railway as you can see. The alternatives are sitting in the queue for 10-15 minutes or riding down the RHS of the queue - the road is just as cramped with a tiny cycle lane, so if you meet someone coming the other way, there is nowhere to go.
    Ah right, just crap infrastructure then.
    MTB/CX

• bails87
    Slightly related....My Times reading neighbour dropped the cyclesafe pullout section round for me yesterday.

It seems that last year there were more cyclists killed here in the West Midlands [17] than in London [11] despite there being almost 2 million fewer people and a fraction of the number of cyclists, compared to London.....hmmmmm.
    MTB/CX

• Quick summing up of the HOC debate with some speech snippets on the Today programme this morning, including the obligatory RLJ comments. Runs from 47 to 52 minutes and is followed by a piece on Beavers (hurr, hurrr, hurr!)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    ..... a piece on Beavers (hurr, hurrr, hurr!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvWfbIe4X_4
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Hopefully MPs will do something about local councils that put up signs advising drivers to ignore cycle lanes:

"Advisory cycle lane only. Please use as traffic lane"

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=tw9+2tf ... 05,,1,5.39
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • bails87
    Hopefully MPs will do something about local councils that put up signs advising drivers to ignore cycle lanes:

Jesus...."please use this 12 inch wide bit of red tarmac as a traffic lane". Ridiculous, what's the point in putting a lane there if you then tell drivers to drive in it?
    MTB/CX

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Hopefully MPs will do something about local councils that put up signs advising drivers to ignore cycle lanes:

That's silly what's the point of it being there if it is only "advisory".

Suggest e-mailing the local MP for that bit as he spoke (I think) in the debate.

Zac Goldsmith MP (Conservative), Member of Parliament for Richmond Park
    Constituency Office

12 King Street
    Richmond, TW9 1ND

Telephone: 020 8939 0321
    Fax: 020 8939 0331
    Parliamentary Office

House of Commons
    London SW1A 0AA

Telephone: 020 7219 3000
    Email: zac.goldsmith.mp@parliament.uk
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Sketchley, already done so this morning, copying in the council signs department. Awaiting a reply. It's absolutely preposterous and should there be an accident there involving a cyclist I could imagine the council getting into trouble over this sign.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"