New Dad advice: How do you fit in weekend rides?

13»

Comments

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    DDD I'm in the same boat with a 14 month old myself - I was talking about this one with mrs Ed and she pointed out that it's the middle of winter so there will seem to be less opportunities because it's tough to motivate yourself to leave the house when it's pitch black and freezing and you've been doing the 3am wake up.... hang in there :)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I plan on moving back to East Sussex before having kids, or at least before they hit 2/3 yrs old. I can see that raising kids in a London flat/house with a tiny garden must be all sorts of hassle. Just need to convince the wife who's a born and bred city girl...

My folks didn't need to worry about entertaining us when I grew up, we just mucked about outdoors most of the day, or the old man would take us to the farm with him. When you're a little boy, tractors, combines etc are ridiculously entertaining, that and clinging on to the back of a quad bike at 30mph+ :D Thankfully my Dad wasn't really troubled by any notions of health and safety.

+1

It's what we did with the only difference that I still commute everyday into London but you all know that by now. My wife understands the serious commitment and effort my working week is therefore there's never any questions re the few hours I like to call the weekend.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I too am struggling to get any meaningful cyling in since mini me #2was born at the beginning of the year.
    I work rotating shifts and operate heavy machinery so i can`t cope with doing feeds that mean getting up when i should be asleep so i do all of them at the weekend , some nights it can mean i get no sleep at all if i have been doing nigjts so my body clock is toats anyway.
    Combined with tyring to keep a 4 year old occupied this has meant the only cycling i have done this year has been commuting 10 miles each way , my club run on a Sunday has gone out the window until further notice.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    My Land Rover Super Vogue is so wide I can only park in disabled or mother and baby spaces and feel confident that some scrote isnt going to scratch the matt paint job.

You need to read the manual, where it clearly states that you should be parking across 2 spaces (just like everyone else in any model Land/Range Rover)!!!
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    read this

Clarky my boss drives a Range Rover too makes me think of this song all the time
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Coach H wrote:
    My Land Rover Super Vogue is so wide I can only park in disabled or mother and baby spaces and feel confident that some scrote isnt going to scratch the matt paint job.

You need to read the manual, where it clearly states that you should be parking across 2 spaces (just like everyone else in any model Land/Range Rover)!!!

Pah. Children's toys.

I plan to get a Chevy Suburban. It's called that because it is the size of a suburb. Wide as a Range Rover is long, ling enough to park sideways across three disabled slots.

<sigh>

Lovely.

If only it didn't take so long to climb up to the driver's seat.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Greg66 wrote:
    Coach H wrote:
    Pah. Children's toys.

I plan to get a Chevy Suburban.

You folks are such irresponsible parents. Don't you CARE about the children ??

An HGV driver cracking one off to the movie on his laptop while cooking his dinner is going to squash the lot of you.

I've told you before. 8x8 is where it's at.
    M242-1.jpg
    ot_64_skot.jpg

The 14.5mm gun isn't as feeble as you might think, but really you need one of these:

M242.jpg

The amphibious capability could be quite handy on a London school run.