Money to burn..................

13»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They do a alu one with ceramic bearings for people like you ;-)
  • carbon fibre bottle holder £60...
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    carbon fibre bottle holder £60...

Yep, done that, had one of these for a couple of years. :oops:

Ironically it actually wore out in a way the alu ones never have - gritty bottles wore away the carbon around the lower bolt hole. Now use ti cages, much pimpier :-)
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Thought with this thread getting such a good response I would put it on an American MTB forum to see what response I'd get!
    Some of these guys are so up their backsides you can just about see the soles of their shoes.
    Wind up anyone?

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussi ... 71024.html
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds just like this place, actually.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • plugp7 wrote:
    Thought with this thread getting such a good response I would put it on an American MTB forum to see what response I'd get!
    Some of these guys are so up their backsides you can just about see the soles of their shoes.
    Wind up anyone?

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussi ... 71024.html

Wow. Just wow.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • cooldad wrote:
    Sounds just like this place, actually.

Yeh, I was just thinking that actually. I don't really see anything on there that I've not already seen on this thread. Have I missed something?
  • cooldad
    Just a little bit of xenophobia.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Much better thread than our one tbh.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • plugp7
    Not sure about the xenophobia comment. I didn't see that in their replies.
    Guess my point was that there is no humour. They are so deadly serious. Think this has done this thread to death now.
  • cooldad
    plugp7 wrote:
    Not sure about the xenophobia comment. I didn't see that in their replies.
    Guess my point was that there is no humour. They are so deadly serious. Think this has done this thread to death now.
    Xenophobia as in the posts here - yours for example - look at the silly yanks.

Obviously your well developed sense of humour was taking a break.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • So getting it back on track. Money to burn ...

1) Any new MTB /part when such deals can be found s/h or discounted
    2) Any niche non-british brand: They don't even know where your country is, let alone what the riding conditions are ... unless you ride Moab or Vancover
    3) Any hardtail other than Carrea / Decathalons own brand. The rest is just a branding exercise ... but you know that , don't you ...
    4) "This years"
    5) 1x10 for serious off roading. So, you train like a spartan every day - yup, it works. Fashion
    6) 29ers - marketing men creating "white space" where there was none ... And the MTB sales chart has been reborn.
    7) Tubeless - a complete pain in the arse and not worth the payback
    8) Shimano chains
    Cotic Soul
    Cotic BFe
    Cotic Road Rat
    Orange Patriot (2006 version)
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I'm sure i'm not meant to be reading through this thread thinking ooooooh i need that?
    So far i've ordered a new set of brake hoses,
    Jocky wheels,
    and now been searching for a carbon bottle cage, but do i get a 18gram one or the slightly cheaper 22gram one? see in my heart i will always know that its 4grams too heavy:roll:

time to go to confestional i think?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    This surely has to be up there...

k-edge-ki2-rear-mtb-derailleur.jpg

RRP £740
  • njee20
    and now been searching for a carbon bottle cage, but do i get a 18gram one or the slightly cheaper 22gram one? see in my heart i will always know that its 4grams too heavy

Ti lasts longer, holds bottles tighter and doesn't scuff your bottles as badly.

The K-Edge Di2 conversion, I dunno, there's a performance 'advantage' there, you can't do Di2 with MTB ratios cheaper. Pretty excessive though I'll agree!
    2) Any niche non-british brand: They don't even know where your country is, let alone what the riding conditions are ... unless you ride Moab or Vancover
    3) Any hardtail other than Carrea / Decathalons own brand. The rest is just a branding exercise ... but you know that , don't you ...
    4) "This years"
    5) 1x10 for serious off roading. So, you train like a spartan every day - yup, it works. Fashion
    6) 29ers - marketing men creating "white space" where there was none ... And the MTB sales chart has been reborn.
    7) Tubeless - a complete pain in the ars* and not worth the payback
    8) Shimano chains

1) Knowingly paying over the odds, perhaps is a bit daft
    2) What? How do British brands know what riding I do?
    3) Seriously?
    4) Sometimes a significant change, I agree paying for a colour scheme can be daft, unless you plan to sell on in a short period
    5) I ride 1x10, not sure what 'serious off roading is' but as it saves money over a multi-ring setup I'm not sure it fits here...
    6) Not that again
    7) Do it right, it's not a faff, and there are advantages. Saves money over tubes too.
    8 ) Never really had a problem myself, certainly not a 'money to burn' thing when SRAM and KMC are more expensive!
  • larryb
    larryb Posts: 78
    plugp7 wrote:
    Just been reading the article in this months issue of WMB (p62) about pointless extravagance.
    Listed:-

Top of the range cassettes
    Titanium/aluminium bolts
    Fancy spokes with aluminium nipples
    Lightweight inner tubes
    Anything aero.

I'll add:-

Headsets over £30
    Seat clamps more than £5
    Hubs more expensive than Deore.

and yours are..............................

I can't help you on this one...

Chris King headset is standard spec on every bike I'll ever own... buy cheap, buy twice....

Anything Shimano is cup and cone and therefore sh*t... Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole...

Shimano Sh*t? Cup & cone Sh*t? All my cup and cones have been more than fine......?
    Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 Deep Black Ano - Silver, Rock Shox Reverb.
  • larryb
    larryb Posts: 78
    At the momenet I really want a chain guide but every time I come to pay for it I think do I really need it? I am hardly all mountain or downhill I am xc at best!!!

Pointless upgrade I cant do with out though are:

-Spokey Dokeys
    -Tony the tiger reflectors
    -Bar end streamers
    -Air horn
    -Empty can on back wheel to sound like a motor bike
    Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 Deep Black Ano - Silver, Rock Shox Reverb.
  • plugp7
    larryb wrote:
    plugp7 wrote:

Anything Shimano is cup and cone and therefore sh*t... Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole...

Shimano Sh*t? Cup & cone Sh*t? All my cup and cones have been more than fine......?

+1
    easy to maintain and less rolling resistance than cartridge bearings though you wont notice it.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've got some 20 year old cup and cone hubs in the garage still doing daily duty... Mind you quite a lot of cup and cone hubs are pretty shoddy
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20 wrote:
    and now been searching for a carbon bottle cage, but do i get a 18gram one or the slightly cheaper 22gram one? see in my heart i will always know that its 4grams too heavy

The K-Edge Di2 conversion, I dunno, there's a performance 'advantage' there, you can't do Di2 with MTB ratios cheaper. Pretty excessive though I'll agree!
    4) "This years"
    7) Tubeless - a complete pain in the ars* and not worth the payback
    8) Shimano chains

1) Knowingly paying over the odds, perhaps is a bit daft
    2) What? How do British brands know what riding I do?
    3) Seriously?
    4) Sometimes a significant change, I agree paying for a colour scheme can be daft, unless you plan to sell on in a short period
    5) I ride 1x10, not sure what 'serious off roading is' but as it saves money over a multi-ring setup I'm not sure it fits here...
    6) Not that again
    7) Do it right, it's not a faff, and there are advantages. Saves money over tubes too.
    8 ) Never really had a problem myself, certainly not a 'money to burn' thing when SRAM and KMC are more expensive!

1) But many do , to have it "now" - and too be seen with it
    2) Depends if you live in the UK. But they might have a better idea than Yeti, Cove, Commencial etc.
    3) No not really - but they do the job. Isn't anything more than that a waste of money?
    4) Yes - but many will sell to have the new - why?
    5) 1X10 is just very trendy. If it works for you , it ia great . But compared to your body, your rucksac, 3 kg of cumbrian mud on your tyres, it makes bugger all difference in the real world. Ubless you are a racing snake - if that is the case , then carry on!
    6) Yup - why do they exist?
    7) Is the hassle really worth it? If you are the middle on nowhaer with a puncture in tubeless ( and it does happen) , what do you do?
    8) Shimano make great components for bikes - and rubbish chains. Sram seem much better for a similar price - but it is personal choice
    () I'll add this - baggy trews on bikes . Well, if you have to wear a short liner , you may as well go lycra TBH. Baggy stuff gets caught in all sorts of shit - esp the nose of your saddles. Alternative buy a pair of shorts from Tesco. They work amazingly well - as long as it isn't pissing it down !

Ps this whole thread is nonsense - people spend their money on what they want too - and then the MTB snobs here deride it cos it's not their choice ....
    Cotic Soul
    Cotic BFe
    Cotic Road Rat
    Orange Patriot (2006 version)
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    njee20 wrote:

but it doesnt look P I M P!
    I did order some superstar Super lightweight foam grips today at 50grams a pair :wink: thought you might approve :?:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • njee20
    50g, good lord, weighty! Well done though, I am proud ;-)
    Ubless you are a racing snake - if that is the case , then carry on!

I am! With a titanium chainring and carbon bits on my chain guide, just for totally unnecessary pimpness :-)