Money to burn..................

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Good shout on Yumeya, proper pointless, £40 for a pair of bolts :roll:

As others have said, XT floating rotors really aren't, good rotors they may be, but that's not because of the 2-piece design.
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    edited February 2012
    different mountain bikes for different activities... downhill i just about get.. but xc/ all mountan - its only a couple of inches travel difference! you just pick a line that suits your ability - what you can do is more man(or woman) than machine imo - yes i'm old school downhilled on ridged forks thought 50mm was huge amounts of travel when i got my Manitou 2's :lol:
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Coloured brake/gear hoses I mean who would do that :oops:
    Most other things have been said, but my big bugbear is Chris King anything, Headsets, BB's, Just mental money for something so simple.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    Coloured brake/gear hoses I mean who would do that :oops:
    Most other things have been said, but my big bugbear is Chris King anything, Headsets, BB's, about the right money for something so awesome.

FTFY

*tin hat deployed*
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • njee20
    Not tried their BBs, and was underwhelmed by their hubs, but King headsets are excellent. I doubt there are any other headsets I'd bother to transfer between bikes. I've got an 8 year old one on my road bike which is absolutely perfect without ever having been touched. The other road bike's gone through 3 in 2 years, and the Cane Creeks on my MTBs don't last 10 minutes. If only MTBs would go back to standard external headsets!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My name is Northwind and I'm a titanium-bolt-holic. Pretty much the ultimate in pointlessness IMO, almost all the steel bolts in my C456 are gone and tbh the weight difference is probably tens of grams across the whole bike, what a knob. But still I like knowing they're there.

Talking to the duty ranger at glentress the other day and apparently lots of people think £3 for parking is an unneccesary extravagance :|

Floating rotors? Nowt but bling IME. Not even very light, usually (my Hopes were heavier than my Formula steel rotors). Classic Hope, make a brake that fades faster than the competition, then make a selling point of it and charge extra for the fix, got to tip your hat to them really.
    plugp7 wrote:
    Seat clamps more than £5
    Hubs more expensive than Deore.

£15 for a good seatclamp is worth it. Not really the biggest Hope fan but they work, and they last. More than I can say for my various cheap clamps, which always either work badly, or work well but not for very long.

Hubs more expensive than deore? That one's just wrong, sorry. Deore are hefty but more importantly lack changable axles, which is a big benefit if you change bikes. False economy if you have to replace your wheels later.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Northwind wrote:
    Deore are hefty but more importantly lack changable axles, which is a big benefit if you change bikes. False economy if you have to replace your wheels later.

Vey true, I have a 20mm, 15mm and QR front forks at the moment, and 12mm, 10mm and QR posibilities for the rear... There's only one other standard I think that I don't use! Having a few wheels that can be moved between bikes with adaptors is a massive benefit for me as I don't have to find forks with the right axle, or get new weels for each frame / fork. Adjustability is a godsend. Superstar Evo hubs all the way.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    6891217463_2290f46e14.jpg

Guilty...
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    M Parts seat clamps are a fiver, just as good as Hope.

As for hubs, if you don't need the interchangability then is no problem, but I don't see the point in spending more than Superstar (unless you want to go very light). That said, A2Z are good for the money.

I don't know of many who change forks and wheels often! But if you do...
  • bluechair84
    It was from a time when I relied on my Moment for XC and DH, so I often swapped wheels and forks depending on the terrain as I couldn't afford different bikes for different applications. The purchase of the Torque means I'll be doing less swapping in future, and I'll be less likely to knacker the Moment from abusing it.

Add n+1 to the money to burn list :)
  • Northwind
    supersonic wrote:

That's the name! I had one of those, it was really good while it lasted, which was about 6 months on the Scandal, then it got more and more stubborn and grindy. The Hope one I replaced it with is still going strong.

For wheels... The pro 2s on Flows I bought for the Idrive (QR both ends) stayed with that bike til I replaced the forks (20mm) then moved onto my Hemlock (still QR and 20mm) then went 10mm... Then had them in the C456 for a while with carbon forks (QR again) then finally stuck them in the Herb (20mm front, 12mm rear).
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    I guess I'll be sticking to QR for a while, still not convinced by bolt through, especially for my riding.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12787097&start=140

But if I had the money, I would.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    supersonic wrote:

As for hubs, if you don't need the interchangability then is no problem, but I don't see the point in spending more than Superstar (unless you want to go very light). That said, A2Z are good for the money.

I don't know of many who change forks and wheels often! But if you do...

+1 for the M Parts seat clamp. had one on my P7 for 7 years. Hope one lasted >2 months creaking all the time until bolt snapped. Pure tosh.
    As for my original post about Deore, fair point about interchangablity but no use to me. Heavy yes, but added advantage of being adjustable and serviceable with simple tools . Cup and cone rule, OK.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • supersonic wrote:
    I guess I'll be sticking to QR for a while, still not convinced by bolt through, especially for my riding.

Agreed there's no point in upgrading to bolted (QR15) unless you needed a new set of forks but well worth it if you did need a new set of suspenders... I watched an 11st mate come down a droppy section at Swinley with a set of Rockshox SID air's... The side ways flex was scary.... let alone the fore / aft flex which we couldn't see at speed...

Some nice hub companies (Hope / Mavic / King) to name but a few have interchangeable doubies (tech term) that allow for the interchangeability of different hubs (be it at a cost with some).

My old Mavic Crossmax XL's could be anything from 9/10mm QR / 15mm QR Maxle or 20mm bolt through... Simples.
  • Northwind
    plugp7 wrote:
    added advantage of being adjustable and serviceable with simple tools . Cup and cone rule, OK.

You can fully strip and rebuild a pro 2 with just 2 32mm sockets and a hammer. No need for special tools like with Shimano ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Northwind wrote:
    plugp7 wrote:
    added advantage of being adjustable and serviceable with simple tools . Cup and cone rule, OK.

You can fully strip and rebuild a pro 2 with just 2 32mm sockets and a hammer. No need for special tools like with Shimano ;)

Yeah I've seen the video:-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sKcq9ChVEE
    Need to get one of those lump hammers and maybe some 18" stilsons for the bolt through.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Northwind wrote:
    plugp7 wrote:

Special tools? A set of £6 cone spanners.

But I do love hammers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    The hammer is needed to smash the cassette off the freehub ;-)
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Ryan_W wrote:
    I have some of these in red on order. reds faster you see.
    Cheap Blingy
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bluechair84
    Ryan_W wrote:

That's nothing compared to a road jockey wheel featured on BR recently... was over a hundred. Can't be arsed to go look for the link.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • njee20
    Stock SRAM XX jockey wheels are £120, mine lasted one 4 hour race. Quality.

Now use Mt Zoom, which are cheaper than KCNC (with ceramic bearings) and lasting impressively well.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    njee20 wrote:
    Stock SRAM XX jockey wheels are £120, mine lasted one 4 hour race. Quality.

Now use Mt Zoom, which are cheaper than KCNC (with ceramic bearings) and lasting impressively well.

My lord, that's shocking!!!

Have you got a cheeky link for the Mt Zoom wheels? ;)
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • guity
    guity Posts: 113
    Mt Zoom jockey wheels:

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=231

I have them on my race bike and no issues so far...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lightweight tubes - guilty, standard schwalbe for 1.0-1.5" tyres inside a 2.1", 120g instead of about 200g, but then I had to buy the tubes anyway and they were only £3.49 so not guilty of money to burn!

Alligator discs are amongst the lightest you'll get, I have 3 across 2 bikes and spent a total of £18!

Yes I'm a tight wad, but then my Hardtail only cost £525 (smattering of XT, LX, Rocket on Crossrides) and weighs just on 11.5Kg so it works for me!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    Have you got a cheeky link for the Mt Zoom wheels?

Guity's link is the standard ones, I use the ultralight ones:

Here, been using them since June, the anodising's a bit worn, otherwise fine!
  • supersonic
    I use these:

http://www.dotbike.com/p/3992

As much as I like to save weight, these do just fine!
  • njee20
    **sucks teeth**

They do look heavy ;-)