Bus driver jailed for attack on cyclist

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
This made the news in the past few months when the driver was in court initially, today he got what he deserved, a 17 month spell in the local Home Office Accomodation establishment at Cambridge Road in Horfield.

The BBC page includes CCTV of the attack. :shock:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-17063165
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    redvee wrote:
    This made the news in the past few months when the driver was in court initially, today he got what he deserved, a 17 month spell in the local Home Office Accomodation establishment at Cambridge Road in Horfield.

:shock:

That probably has to be one of the most disturbing footages of vehicle vs bike I've seen (from this Country).

Did the Cyclist survive and if he did where the injuries life changing or permanent?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    redvee wrote:

Just down the road from my pad....lucky him.

Hope the guy that got a 'bus to the head' was okay.
  • redvee
    First reported in the local paper. A broken leg, wrist and thumb and the bike was crushed.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Road-rag ... story.html
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    F*ck me.

I like to think of myself as reasonably balanced when it comes to this kind of thing, but f*ck me, bus drivers are the scum of the earth.

I wish I could be properly surprised by this.

Anyway, hope the f*cker learns to chill out and rein in the rage when he's working. ( I appreciate this comment might by slightly ironic/hypocritical)

Presumably he'll never be allowed behind the wheel of the bus again?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    ///////////////////i have to say that footage is disturbing.

Hope victim has recovered fully.

For the 2 offences - dangerous driving and GBH, I feel a sentence of 17 months is too lenient.

The deliberate use of a vehicle as a weapon should be punished by a much steeper sentence
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Just watched the video, scary stuff!!
    FCN 2 to 8
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    it doesn't look like the cyclist was wearing any Hi-Viz...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    f*ck me, bus drivers are the scum of the earth ... ( I appreciate this comment might by slightly ironic/hypocritical)
    Because you're in recruitment? :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • redvee
    F*ck me...

Anyway, hope the f*cker learns to chill out and rein in the rage when he's working.

Similar words of horror spouted from my mouth when I saw the footage too.
    He won't be in the transport sector for a while with the prison sentence, plus he was sacked immediately by his employers at the time.
  • rick_chasey
    dhope wrote:
    f*ck me, bus drivers are the scum of the earth ... ( I appreciate this comment might by slightly ironic/hypocritical)
    Because you're in recruitment? :twisted:

fjkl2j2qjlkda

(That was the splashback from my screen hitting the keyboard as I defecated all over that post).
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    spen666 wrote:
    ///////////////////i have to say that footage is disturbing.

Hope victim has recovered fully.

For the 2 offences - dangerous driving and GBH, I feel a sentence of 17 months is too lenient.

The deliberate use of a vehicle as a weapon should be punished by a much steeper sentence

Truly frightening.

I agree, too lenient.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    F*ck me.

I like to think of myself as reasonably balanced when it comes to this kind of thing, but f*ck me, bus drivers are the scum of the earth.

I wish I could be properly surprised by this.

Anyway, hope the f*cker learns to chill out and rein in the rage when he's working. ( I appreciate this comment might by slightly ironic/hypocritical)

Presumably he'll never be allowed behind the wheel of the bus again?

AFAIK He was dismissed before the case even went to court. Cyclist had to have his knee rebuilt. 17 months too lenient, but at least it's jail time. Should be banned from driving for life as well.
  • Absolutely shocking, wish i hadn't seen this 20 mins before my cycle home....

• WTF:- the driver should be strung up by his ballrace for that insanity :evil:
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Why GBH and not attempted murder?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • spen666
    no evidence of an attempt to murder the cyclist as opposed to causing him harm

Twittering @spen_666
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,771
    I think there was a case a long time ago, could be an urban myth, of a cab driver being charged with attempted murder for driving at a bloke on a motorbike. I think what allowed it to be the higher charge was that he had chased the bloke for a few miles and had more than one attempt at knocking him off. A single spur of the moment swerve, whilst just as deadly, isn't premeditated.
    I'm sure Spen will confirm if my understanding is correct.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    spen666 wrote:
    no evidence of an attempt to murder the cyclist as opposed to causing him harm
    I would think that hitting someone with a bus is as good attempted murder as stabbing or shooting them.

Still, lesser charge makes it an easier prosecution - I'd rather he got 17 months than got off completely.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,111
    Jeez, that's a bad one. No excuses.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • spen666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I think there was a case a long time ago, could be an urban myth, of a cab driver being charged with attempted murder for driving at a bloke on a motorbike. I think what allowed it to be the higher charge was that he had chased the bloke for a few miles and had more than one attempt at knocking him off. A single spur of the moment swerve, whilst just as deadly, isn't premeditated.
    I'm sure Spen will confirm if my understanding is correct.

no idea of that particular case, but the principal would seem not inaccurate ie if you make repeated attempts to hit someone, you are likely to face a more serious charge.

In this case, the bus driver seems to swipe the cyclist rather than drive over him.

If he had driven over cyclist then I think the more serious charge ie attempted murder would possibly be supportable.

None of the above is to be taken as condoning or deminishing the horrific actions of the bus driver

Twittering @spen_666
  • hambo
    hambo Posts: 49
    That is truly shocking and in my opinion the sentence he was given is appalling.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Basically a year for what is essentially attempted murder...

Fcking bus driver tailgaited me at 15cm today OUTSIDE a police station because i used the advance stop line and he couldn't take the fact i was faster than him away from the lights.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    edited February 2012
    I Imagine there were some expletives exchanged up the road prior to the coming together.It is always wise to be wary of this sort of thing happening after you've given someone a gobful and you should bear in mind that you're sharing the road with an unknown number of psychos. Easy to say in hindsight I know but if I'd just wound the driver up to fever pitch at the previous roundabout with a few comments about him sleeping with his mother(pure conjecture on the facts of this case of course) I would want him past me and out of the way before I continued on my journey.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    sturmey wrote:
    I Imagine there were some expletives exchanged up the road prior to the coming together.It is always wise to be wary of this sort of thing happening after you've given someone a gobful and you should always bear in mind that you're sharing the road with an unknown number of psycho's. Easy to say in hindsight I know but if I'd just wound the driver up to fever pitch at the previous roundabout with a few comments about him sleeping with his mother(pure conjecture on the facts of this case of course)I would want him past me and out of the way before I continued on my journey.
    Er, its pretty reasonable to not expect someone to drive a bus into you, even if you've just accused their mother of not being a very good prostitute.
  • sturmey
    What's thinking reasonably got to do with it? The guy was a psycho as are many others out there. If you provoke people you should think worst case scenario in which case it is reasonable you should expect the worst.
  • Deegs
    Deegs Posts: 74
    What a complete w4nker. I'm slightly surprised at the sentence which could have been anything up to 5 years. Still, he will have shafted his life for a long time to come. Serve him right, idiot.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    As said before this is attempted murder. what a joke of a sentence.
  • rick_chasey
    sturmey wrote:
    What's thinking reasonably got to do with it? The guy was a psycho as are many others out there. If you provoke people you should think worst case scenario in which case it is reasonable you should expect the worst.

What's your point?
  • sturmey
    sturmey wrote:

What's your point?

Err... ride defensively!
  • rick_chasey
    sturmey wrote:
    sturmey wrote:

What's your point?

Err... ride defensively!

Not much defence against a bus driver who deliberately drives into you.