20 Feckin Niners!....

Comments

• EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    El Zomba wrote:
    So... 29'er Orange Five, anyone?

I'm not even thinking about the bike, more the outpouring of ranty opinionated posts that it would generate.

The bike would be proper gash though.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    EH_Rob wrote:
    El Zomba wrote:
    So... 29'er Orange Five, anyone?

I'm not even thinking about the bike, more the outpouring of ranty opinionated posts that it would generate.

The bike would be proper gash though.
    You mean this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12834380
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Ha! That's the one. Scanning over it I'm disappointed, it was actually a bit tame.

Although:
    cooldad wrote:
    Looks horrible, colour, proportion, odd looking little shock, cranks look like something off an Apollo.

Tickled me.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Considering the lack of people expressing their love of 29ers, coupled with a few people getting a tad angry, I deduce that 29ers are infact evil
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    ste_t wrote:
    Considering the lack of people expressing their love of 29ers, coupled with a few people getting a tad angry, I deduce that 29ers are infact evil
    Yes and theyre planning to take over the world Mwahahahaha
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • ste_t
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    ste_t wrote:
    Yes and theyre planning to take over the world Mwahahahaha

Well they won't be able to catch me, as I'll be going down hill on a 26er through really tight technical twisty singletrack. ;)

Until my 780mm bars get stuck between a couple of trees of course
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Well they won't be able to catch me, as I'll be going down hill on a 26er through really tight technical twisty singletrack. ;)

Hmmm I think this guy will :twisted:
    http://vimeo.com/36855647
    Don't think, BE:
  • ste_t
    wobbem wrote:

Rubbish, he got off to walk one section! Thats some crazy smooth riding. Must have some skill to transfer from kids bikes to big wheels
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Neal_ wrote:
    It's Bikemagic’s month of 29ers you plonker :lol:
    Classic. And the use of plonker too. Bonnet de douche :D
    ste_t wrote:
    We're just not lardy Americans. They're the only people who like them.

Though I understand the kind of trails they ride is somewhat different from the stuff over here.

It's much the same with cars. Bit wallowy lardy cars, wide straight roads, automatic, cruise control and off you go chomping on that burger or doughnut whilst downing an oversized drink. Here you really need sharp suspension, manual, nippy car, and a lot of anger to drive in the UK or Europe. Smaller fast car is better. Or I find it's like that. Not to mention our tiny country roads!

:D
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    Well ok it's not 'new' technology, but it's new to the UK market

Not new to the UK market, just new to the UK marteting companies and bandwagon jumpers. Some of us have been riding nothing but 29ers since 2007 and before
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    We're just not lardy Americans. They're the only people who like them.

The increasing numbers of people buying them, plus the many favourable reviews suggest that really isn't the case!
  • wobbem wrote:

That guy looks like he could ride a rocking horse quicker than I could ever ride a bike....
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    A noob but I went from a 26 to a 29 and then after a year back to a 26. Prefer the 26.
  • larryb
    larryb Posts: 78
    This still going on. Very fun cant wait for he's next item of discussion in the forum!!
    Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 Deep Black Ano - Silver, Rock Shox Reverb.
  • Rozza
    Rozza Posts: 75
    I have a Cube Dr Z 6 29er on order, pimped it up as well with the Rose Bike Configuring tool. I even opted for a Reverb seatpost on a 100mm FS bike, why? Well after not having a test ride on any 29er and only seeing a couple in the flesh, I decided that all the hype was worth buying one anyway. Can't wait for my new waggon wheeler to arrive, yee haa.

I think I might be part of the problem.....
    Wolf Ridge, mmm bop, XTC Composite, Uncle John
  • There does seem to be a lot of negativity about 29ers from the owners of expensive 26ers. Progress is not for everyone and technological advances always go backwards, so I will repossess my son's 24" bike which has to be slower than his 20". I disagree with everyone who has ridden a 29er, loved it, been faster and bought one. Obviously if you don't try one it cannot be faster, better or anything but pants. Bring back the pennyfarthing unless that had a big wheel too. Good grief people, there are countless different bikes out there with different specs. Just because you have peaked too soon and got yesterday's model doesn't mean you got everything wrong. Why get so stressed out about a different wheel size? You will be getting puffed up about your suspension length next!
  • 4ndyW
    4ndyW Posts: 68
    Hey i'm up for change, but does nark me that it's stuffed down out throats everywhere you go. What happened to having the option to choose for yourself what you wanna ride? Like a post way back said, Specialized don't do a 26" hardtail anymore........

I have been in and out the biking scene since my racing days in the 90's, so seen many fads and tech come and go. i see the 29'er seen the same as the riser bar, you get looked at funny if your running straight bars, like "why are you running those things? risers are much better....", my answer, yes for you, but i prefer riding my straights.

I could on on about marketing etc, but really kinda said my point :?
  • njee20
    What happened to having the option to choose for yourself what you wanna ride? Like a post way back said, Specialized don't do a 26" hardtail anymore........

That post also said that they are the only manufacturer not offering the choice - all the other manufacturers do.
    There does seem to be a lot of negativity about 29ers from the owners of expensive 26ers.

I own a reasonably expensive (and less than a year old) 26" bike, I'm not negative towards 29ers!
  • It's no worse than us hardtail riders having to put up with endless reviews of full-sussers, is it?

It'll either die down as the novelty wears off, or ramp up as they become the dominant format.
    I've no idea which will happen but, personally, I have a steel 26er & an Alloy 29er and enjoy them both as much as each other.
    Choice is a wonderful things (apart from Starbucks - I just want a flippin coffee!!!!)

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • This whole point reminds me of the Shimano flappy paddle gear shifter / brake thingyMcFlip.... At the time it was specified on bikes, pushed in marketing be it on-line or in the press, hell even the Madison rep said that in 5 years time (this was 2005/6) that rapid fire shifter pod's would be dead.... How wrong was he....

I think 29's have their place but I'd be interested to see how well 'What 29'er' would sell against a magazine dedicated to 26'ers.... not that it would happen...

When I get a new bike, I'm not going to get a 29'er, each to their own and cool if 'You' do... but I can't wait till this b*llsh*t marketing hype dies down and I get to read about normal stuff..
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    But 29er WILL be normal stuff... so just as prevailant!
  • Anonymous
    I'll be retro biking it then on a 26. Retro is cool.

Anyway, 29 is old hat. The new thing is grip shifts ;)

(ducks :D)
  • deadkenny wrote:
    I'll be retro biking it then on a 26. Retro is cool.

Anyway, 29 is old hat. The new thing is grip shifts ;)

(ducks :D)

Remove the 'f' and that's what they were and still are....
  • Glad to see that we have all agreed to disagree. Anyone fancy starting a thread about lights? Surely that won't be contentious? :lol:
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    Just another marketing rehash, 29ers are nothing new, same as 'all marketing' bikes; they used to be called freeride, or dual sport.

29ers arent the next mountain biking revolution, like say for example, proper suspension, hydraulic brakes, aheadsets, or condition specific tyres.
    You cant really call a bigger, heavier, flexier wheel, an advancement in technology :P what new technology has gone into using longer spokes, and more rim?
  • njee20
    Remove the 'f' and that's what they were and still are....

Tried the XX ones have you?!

Analogies to things like shifters are stupid. People didn't get on with Dual Control, so changed them. Which was easy. 29ers are being chosen by people for performance reasons. They're not new, they've not suddenly appeared. A friend had a 2005 Gary Fisher Rig, he's been on 29ers for 7 years. They've been gaining momentum, notably in the US, and for 2012 are big in the UK.

They're here to stay, but won't take over.
  • Anonymous
    They'd only take over if the chain stores decide to sell them to Joe Average to ride their BSO full sus to the shops. Doubt they can see any point in flogging 29er to these people.
  • njee20
    But you can't get 29er FS BSOs :?
  • Anonymous
    Exactly.

The BSOs and general cheap end stuff the chain stores sell to people who buy bikes for "exercise", ride to the shops and then stick them in the shed for 10 years, are in the vast majority compared to the amount of mountain bikes that are sold to the likes of us and actually ridden off road. That's where the bike business is mainstream. When we see 29er BSOs, only then we'll know that 29ers have replaced 26 as the factories churning out these bikes will be the same ones churning out the proper bikes.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Such a huge group of moaning old ladies on this forum, it's staggering. Change can be good, wouldn't want my fun chuckabout bike to have big wheels, for speedy xc or long distance riding it makes a lot of sense though.

Same as everything else, I know you guys might not all have a 29er, it doesn't make them automatically bad. So much is fashion driven on here, a slack AM bike is rubbish uphill, yet you don't see threads moaning about how AM bikes are rubbish.