20 Feckin Niners!....

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Im sure 29er's have their place, but its not for me, had a quick spin on a 29er trek rumblefish t'other day and wasnt impressed, it felt slow and sluggish and generally bad, not exactly high end kit on it, but it still felt bad regardless, not for me at all.

Imo it comes down to what you prefer, yes you can rip it up on a 29er, but I still say that 26" wheels are better for Am/DH/fr, if you border on the xc side of things you might benefit, but I like the light weight flickability of standard hoops and probably always will. 650b is a good compromise, yet to try one out however, but even then I think anything above 130mm travel in FS terms would be best off as a 26er, hardtails 650b and a longish travel fork could be interesting, but again I still think I would prefer 26" wheels and nice light and stiff wheels and tyres :)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Personally I've never tried one, but they have to be catching on for a reason, right?

Yeah there is a reason, the media hype makes them brilliant so ignorant riders who don't know better will think they're brilliant regardless of whether they are or arn't.

Its the wonderful world we live in.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Sorry i'm late to the party, as the resident beardie hippy i will come to the defense of the clown bike.
    For some disciplins it makes sense (XC especially) free ride they're getting there and i can see in the future DH rigs will be sporting proper sized wheels :wink:
    like everything, there will be people affraid of change and the ones who embrace it. Just yesterday i was having a "discussion" with one of my cycle buddies about the merrits of my plastic bike! he said he would be affraid of it snapping, as i once broke a carbon seat post :roll:

My buddies are coming round to the idea of getting 29ers after me (a very average rider) is now that much quicker than them up hills, through single track and on tough terrain that once they called me a cheater now they're asking 29er advice!

I love mine, but it suits my riding style and what i do. Its brilliant at trail centres and helps me do a bit better than i should at racing :D

Horses for Courses
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • I want 25" wheels.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    29ers are so yesterday! 27.5, or 650b is the new black. Now that the manufacturers have pushed the 29er as far as it can go, they will leech onto this 'new' wheelsize as the one we should have been riding all along as the perfect compromise.

To be serious though, is just an alternative, but they do tend to cost more.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    The Cleland Adventura of 1981 was the first 29er I know of built by Geoff Apps.

He's recently built a new 29er bike, it rolls downhill pretty well but it still didn't overtake my Meta.

The wheels are not as big as one would think they are, less than 10% over a 26" wheel, they are really 28 1/2ers.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    edited February 2012
    ste_t wrote:
    I admire your enthusiasm, but your quoting skills need a bit of work.
    Edited due to shocking quoting work.
    I quoted what I was responding to, don't be such a pedant.

And you essentially said that it isn't new technology, but then went on to say that there are more exciting things happening with technology... inferring that it infact is new technology, it's just not that exciting. Personally, I'm uninterested in carbon right now and don't want it anywhere near any of the major components on my bike. 29ers however, are something I could get on board with, if they were to come into my price range.

EDIT: sorry for being a pedant/hyprocrite, but when you guys say "plastic bikes", you're talking about carbon right? Carbon isn't a plastic...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • IBISMojoHDamon
    IBISMojoHDamon Posts: 330
    edited February 2012
    Plastic bikes are exciting chapter? Been around for years...

I never said that hadn't been around for years!....... I just think that the advances made in carbon and composites are an exciting chapter, not just in terms of frame technology but component technology!...

29ers NOW THATS AN EXCITING CHAPTER IN MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!

Hmmm, Yeah... Exciting!.... Now where did I put my CTC membership card!.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    robertpb wrote:
    The Cleland Adventura of 1981 was the first 29er I know of built by Geoff Apps.

Didnt the Cleland bikes have 650 wheels.

I tested 3 29ers when I was looking for a new bike last year., I have to say they didnt really light my fire but they didnt feel bad just not enough something to crowbar open my wallet. On the other hand I tried 3, 26ers during the same period and they didnt set my pants on fire either.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited February 2012

I never said that hadn't been around for years!....... I just think that the advances made in carbon and composites are an exciting chapter, not just in terms of frame technology but component technology!...

29ers NOW THATS AN EXCITING CHAPTER IN MOUNTAIN BIKING!!![/b][/u]
    Hmmm, Yeah... Exciting!.... Now where did I put my CTC membership card!.
    A bit easier if you learn to use quotes so we can work out what the hell you're on about.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

• That is the explanation I was fishing for! You stated ...'WE....' which did not explain anything. But why are they not interested? Ridden them and not liked them? Ignorance? Not available for their chosen discipline?

They / we / I am not interested as they don't suit my style of riding, i.e. The Alpes, Wales, Tight / Technical Single Track / Drops etc without riding and feeling unwieldy...

I did originally type 'carbon' but changed it to emphasise the point, which I think you missed. Aren't 29ers coming to the forefront of top level xc racing? Much like carbon is in dh?

Well done you for 'emphasising your point, but your point was not valid as I don't race XC... and if they are coming to the forefront of top level XC racing great!.... But my point is not 29'ers.... It's the MTB industry ramming in down the throats of online readers and magazine buyers and subscriptioners...

Your expressed view on 29ers is much the same as some expressed at the pointless fad of 'plastic bikes' some years back.

Not sure I agree with this statement, I for one am not scared of change, I embrace it if I feel it will benefit me, but again, this isn't and wasn't my point.... I don't want to go to BikeRadar.com / Bikemagic.com / Pinkbike.com / Singletrackworld.com / Dirt Magazine and get force fed views on 29'ers that is the spawn of some American marketing person...

I am in no way biased, having never ridden/owned a carbon bike nor a 29er. They could be for me in the same way they suit lots of other people, maybe not, but I just can't be arsed to find out.[/quote]

I have owned a carbon MTB, a Carbon Road bike and I've ridden a few 29'ers so it's not like I'm not game for trying new stuff, 29'ers just don't suit me or my riding style / locations...

Hopefully you will now (after my explanation) understand that it's the magazines / press that I have an issue with and not the extra inches on the wheel size.....
  • IBISMojoHDamon
    IBISMojoHDamon Posts: 330
    edited February 2012
    Quote -
    A bit easier if you learn to use quotes so we can work out what the hell you're on about.

Reply -

You seem to of got me confused with someone that cares about quotes or the use of them....!
  • cooldad
    What I said one post up.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

29ers NOW THATS AN EXCITING CHAPTER IN MOUNTAIN BIKING!!![/b][/u]

Hmmm, Yeah... Exciting!.... Now where did I put my CTC membership card!.A bit easier if you learn to use quotes so we can work out what the hell you're on about.

You seem to of got me confused with someone that cares about quotes!...

You just come across as an ignorant ranting moron that way, instead of just a ranting moron.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • So easy to judge... Just because I'm new to the forum and haven't got my head round it or been bothered to get my head round it...

How can you make a sweeping statement about someone being a moron of any kind after 6 hours and 7 post's or are you the leader of this on-line forum and like belittling people because you've been around for a while?....

The first 'original' post was a question....It wasn't a rant....

But well done you...
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    ilovedirt wrote:
    ste_t wrote:

And you essentially said that it isn't new technology, but then went on to say that there are more exciting things happening with technology... inferring that it infact is new technology, it's just not that exciting. Personally, I'm uninterested in carbon right now and don't want it anywhere near any of the major components on my bike. 29ers however, are something I could get on board with, if they were to come into my price range.

EDIT: sorry for being a pedant/hyprocrite, but when you guys say "plastic bikes", you're talking about carbon right? Carbon isn't a plastic...

Sam - didn't mean you fella. I was indeed being pedantic about larryb's post above yours, but in my bubble of superiority, I managed to make a hash of the quoting and made myselt look a tit. I do like that in one post you have berated me for being pedantic, then apologised for being a pedant yourself! ;)

I know carbon isn't plastic, I was merely using a term often banded about by those scornful of carbon bikes in the past.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    ste_t wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    ste_t wrote:

Sam - didn't mean you fella. I was indeed being pedantic about larryb's post above yours, but in my bubble of superiority, I managed to make a hash of the quoting and made myselt look a tit. I do like that in one post you have berated me for being pedantic, then apologised for being a pedant yourself! ;)

I know carbon isn't plastic, I was merely using a term often banded about by those scornful of carbon bikes in the past.
    This is getting far too complicated :(
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • VWsurfbum
    here's a picture of my plastic 29er :wink:
    temporary-22-1.jpg
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum
    No SPD's?.....
    not in the snow
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum
    Fair point..... Knee pads?....
    Yep :)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    here's a picture of my plastic 29er :wink:
    temporary-22-1.jpg

Now you're just trying to be controversial! :D
  • VWsurfbum
    Yep i'm that man.
    i ride with
    Crank Bros pedals not traditional SPD's
    29er bike
    carbon (see plastic) frame
    single ring not a double and bash.
    203mm discs not your usual 160-180
    Tubeless
    and i think i'm the only one on this forum who likes 2.4 mountain kings :lol:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Crank Brothers Pedals - Not a fan
    29'er Bike - Not my choice for my style of riding but each to their own
    Carbon - Love it (Frame / bars / rims)
    Single Ring - Same
    Bash / Device - Yep
    203mm Front - Same
    180mm Rear - 203mm won't fit ;0(
    Tubeless - Snap
    Continental - Snap but I'm X-Kings 2.4 (Mountain Kings I couldn't get on with)

;0)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Those hoses are too much, doesn't work. Black, or white at a push would be better.
  • I was as sceptical as most at first. Slowly but surely everyone I know tried, bought and loved the big wheelers. I will try before I buy but am very glad that I do not already own an expensive bike that may or may not be permanently garaged. By that I mean that many chums have numerous high end full suss 26ers that they say will never be ridden again because their new 29er is so very much faster. I remain to be convinced but will give a couple a go before spending thousands. If I had spent thousands on a 26er in the last year or so I would be blinkered in opposition like many others. The high volume USA 29er sales, the long UK 29er waiting lists and from what I have read above about Spesh favouring 29ers over 26ers reveals a trend if nothing else.

Time for some (not all) of us to move on perhaps?
  • IMO if the manufacturers actually cared about the end user, the size of the wheel would directly reflect the size of the bike e.g Smaller wheels on Small frames, Medium Wheels on Medium Frames and Large Wheels on Large Frames.

I can't see from a engineering point of view how a 700c (read in an american accent 29er, "I can't believe that the bike industry literally managed to re-invent and already existing wheel".) can work on a small frame designed to be more compact to fit a smaller rider can work?

How on earth can you keep a realistic geometry on that bike without having ridiculous overhang of your toe to the front wheel (Which is bloody dangerous and downright bad engineering).

Even if they give you a bike with a steep seat post angle then they are effectively lengthening the top bar length which will most likely negate the fact you bought a small frame in the first place, unless you like having to reach way forward to steer.

For me 700c (29er's) wheels and smaller work in theory for Large Frame bikes and rider's of 6'+
    650b and smaller work in theory for Medium Frame bikes and riders of 5'7"-5'11" ish.
    and Small frames designed for riders 5'6" and below should in theory not work with anything bigger than 26" wheels.

BTW I have never ridden a 29er so I could be talking a load of poop, but this all makes sense in my head. :?
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    They / we / I am not interested as they don't suit my style of riding, i.e. The Alpes, Wales, Tight / Technical Single Track / Drops etc without riding and feeling unwieldy...
    ummmmmmmmmmmm whats that saying about a wrokman and his tools.. ??????? :wink:

here a few video of one of my mate on his 29er..
    twisty singletrack

twisty technical drops
    alpine technical tight twisty singletrack

if you really that against 29ers then don't read the said articles,, simples.... :mrgreen: