Happy Northerners

13»

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Probably somewhere in between...

I sound more like Wurzle Gummage than Boris Johnson though.

That's a good thing [sounding more like Wurzle than Boris].
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Isn't knowing your neighbour more to do with living in a city than, say, in the country?

City residences tend to be a bit more liquid so there's less incentive and less time to get to know your neighbours.

Your city neighbours are also more likely to stab you in the face as soon as look at you.

Really? You've never been to Chatteris then.

No, but I have been to King's Lynne and that's banjo country in my eyes. I admit there are exceptions, but on the balance of probability......

Pfft. Go do the blast through the fens sportive and I'll show ya banjo country.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Don't understand where this illusion of Yorkshiremen being friendly has come from - we are tight miserable sods and proud of it
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Not surprising though considering Londoners are all too busy commuting and working and Yorkshiremen are too busy bleating on about how friendly Yorkshire is for anyone to get to know their neighbours.

More like the yorkshireman's nearest neighbour is 7 miles down the road in the next farmhouse so of course they don't know them.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    edited February 2012
    Don't understand where this illusion of Yorkshiremen being friendly has come from - we are tight miserable sods and proud of it

Feck that - 1st New Year I spent in Rotherham.... I had a bottle in one hand (drinking from), bottle in the other hand, one in one poachers pocket, one it t'other, one on the table in front and a guy at the bar buying me another simply 'cos I was a mate of his mate.

God. I got p*ssed that night, and I never bought a single drink. Every time I tried, and God I tried; I got shouted at. Lots.

(Oh yeah and it wasn't this bloody Southern shandy lager cr*p - every one was a bottle of Dog)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Jez mon wrote:
    Nickel wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Chester, Huddersfield and, best of all, Derby. DERBY!!!

No. The Telegraph is having a wind-up.

I actually couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Derby in the top ten.

Lived there for a year last year and have to say, I think Derby does have a slightly undeserved reputation as a s***hole. Between four placement students, we were able to rent a large 4 bed house, in a reasonably posh part (Mickleover don't think the neighbours were impressed with 4 students moving in at all!)

Having said that, top ten would be pushing it.

Lists like this are difficult to take seriously though.

My ex-wife comes from Mickleover. It's sh*t-hole since the infamous Mackworth (where let's face it, you go to a family wedding to meet your wife and people compare the number of fingers they have) invasion via Murray Park School.

I reckon Derby is only in the top ten 'cos of the insane amount of changes that it's gone through over the last few years and it's meant to be the most haunted city in the UK (wait for the howls of protest from York based folks...) I could tell you stories about the condemned cell in the basement of what is now the bleeding Registry Office...

I still can't quite figure out how many people they killed and buried under the new inner ring road....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Greg T wrote:
    Portsmouth whilst being on the south coast is actually part of the holy trinity of northern sh1t places by the sea, Liverpool, Glasgow and Portsmouth. Is Glasgow by the sea?

Loving the love. It's not that bad y'know...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Jez mon wrote:
    Nickel wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Chester, Huddersfield and, best of all, Derby. DERBY!!!

No. The Telegraph is having a wind-up.

I actually couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Derby in the top ten.

Lived there for a year last year and have to say, I think Derby does have a slightly undeserved reputation as a s***hole. Between four placement students, we were able to rent a large 4 bed house, in a reasonably posh part (Mickleover don't think the neighbours were impressed with 4 students moving in at all!)

Having said that, top ten would be pushing it.

Lists like this are difficult to take seriously though.

My ex-wife comes from Mickleover. It's sh*t-hole since the infamous Mackworth (where let's face it, you go to a family wedding to meet your wife and people compare the number of fingers they have) invasion via Murray Park School.

I reckon Derby is only in the top ten 'cos of the insane amount of changes that it's gone through over the last few years and it's meant to be the most haunted city in the UK (wait for the howls of protest from York based folks...) I could tell you stories about the condemned cell in the basement of what is now the bleeding Registry Office...

I still can't quite figure out how many people they killed and buried under the new inner ring road....

Derby is not in the north - midlands maybe
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Right. Derby's in the Midlands. Like Leeds and Bradford.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    jejv wrote:
    Right. Derby's in the Midlands. Like Leeds and Bradford.
    Whalley, Lancashire apparently.
    Source:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_poi ... ed_Kingdom
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.