Happy Northerners

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Nickel wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Chester, Huddersfield and, best of all, Derby. DERBY!!!

No. The Telegraph is having a wind-up.

I actually couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Derby in the top ten.

Amen to that!

Kieran Burns, where are you? Come on, Burns...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Nickel wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Lived there for a year last year and have to say, I think Derby does have a slightly undeserved reputation as a s***hole. Between four placement students, we were able to rent a large 4 bed house, in a reasonably posh part (Mickleover don't think the neighbours were impressed with 4 students moving in at all!)

Having said that, top ten would be pushing it.

Lists like this are difficult to take seriously though.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Nickel wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

When I was a kid a Brown Derby would have made my top ten desserts.

Hell, even as a sophisticated grown-up, it probably would
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • The North has some very pretty countyside, some nice castles and things too.

But the people... oh my god. "Can I be your friend?" "We're friends arent we?" "Bezzy friends forever!!!???"
    And thats just popping into Morrisons. A bit overbearing...

Ah bezzy mates, thats a special area not generally recognised by the rest of us Northern Miserablists. A bit like defining all you southern lot as 'lor lav a dack, jellied eels & weren't the Krays laverley to their dear old dutchess' cockernees :-D
  • The North has some very pretty countyside, some nice castles and things too.

But the people... oh my god. "Can I be your friend?" "We're friends arent we?" "Bezzy friends forever!!!???"
    And thats just popping into Morrisons. A bit overbearing...

Ah bezzy mates, thats a special area not generally recognised by the rest of us Northern Miserablists. A bit like defining all you southern lot as 'lor lav a dack, jellied eels & weren't the Krays laverley to their dear old dutchess' cockernees :-D
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    cockneys are those poor souls that are born within the hearing range of Bow church bells.

I'm from the golden shores of Dorset - imagine Benidorm, but warmer and fitter birds. Thats where Im from.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cockneys are those poor souls that are born within the hearing range of Bow church bells.

I'm from the golden shores of Dorset - imagine Benidorm, but warmer and fitter birds. Thats where Im from.

And tractors. You've got lots of tractors down there.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:

And tractors. You've got lots of tractors down there.

Biggest steam fair in the world, apparently. 200,000 visitors every year to look at the tractors.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • clarkey cat
    Dorset Steam Fair. In Blandford.

Blandford also has the highest per capita levels of heroin addiction in the UK.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    you do know that all these surveys are just pointless page fillers right?
    FCN = 4
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Page 3!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    notsoblue wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Page 3!
    Page 3 usually has at least 2 points :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited February 2012
    Dorset Steam Fair. In Blandford.

ooh i likes Blandford, well blandford forum - royal tollard it's ultra posh i know this because everyone use cutlery to eat with
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • asprilla

All too aware; Mrs A's mum is a JP there.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Since when was Norwich in the South of England?
  • asprilla

Since always.

As far as I'm concerned Yorkshire is in the South. Mind, I'm really only interested in bits South of the Thames and North of the Tyne. Everything in between is dull.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266

Cultural topography does not match geographic position. Harrogate for instance is somewhere in Lanarkshire or Ireland yet to all intents and purposes is on the south coast.

Portsmouth whilst being on the south coast is actually part of the holy trinity of northern sh1t places by the sea, Liverpool, Glasgow and Portsmouth. Is Glasgow by the sea?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,368
    Greg T wrote:

Cultural topography does not match geographic position. Harrogate for instance is somewhere in Lanarkshire or Ireland yet to all intents and purposes is on the south coast.

Portsmouth whilst being on the south coast is actually part of the holy trinity of northern sh1t places by the sea, Liverpool, Glasgow and Portsmouth. Is Glasgow by the sea?

:shock: Remin me never to ask you for directions, not that I would need to ask for directions of course.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Greg T wrote:

Greg, where are you from then? Uranus? *giggles*
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • clarkey cat
    BBC Breakfast this morning did a piece on what areas know their neighbours most / least well.

Northern Oireland came out as only 17% of people not knowing their neighbours (i.e. a 'friendly' place)
    With Scotland just behind.

The least friendly places (where 41% of people do not know their neighbours) were London and Yorkshire.

Not surprising though considering Londoners are all too busy commuting and working and Yorkshiremen are too busy bleating on about how friendly Yorkshire is for anyone to get to know their neighbours.
  • I'm from the golden shores of Dorset - imagine Benidorm, but warmer beer and fatter birds. Thats where Im from.

FTFY
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'm from the golden shores of Dorset...

Do you still have the daft accent? Or are you now the proud owner of that godawful RP?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,771
    BBC Breakfast this morning did a piece on what areas know their neighbours most / least well.

Northern Oireland came out as only 17% of people not knowing their neighbours (i.e. a 'friendly' place)
    With Scotland just behind.

The least friendly places (where 41% of people do not know their neighbours) were London and Yorkshire.

Not surprising though considering Londoners are all too busy commuting and working and Yorkshiremen are too busy bleating on about how friendly Yorkshire is for anyone to get to know their neighbours.
    I know nearly all of my neighbours, and we often go to the pub for beers en masse. Boys one night, girls another.
    A woman moved up from Cornwall and then moved back a while later because she didn't like the people. She had some car trouble one day and her neighbour was trying to help, I was walking passed and stopped to help. We fixed it for her and she said thank you. Two days later I walk passed her and say hello, she completely blanked me. Miserable cow.
  • rick_chasey
    Isn't knowing your neighbour more to do with living in a city than, say, in the country?

City residences tend to be a bit more liquid so there's less incentive and less time to get to know your neighbours.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat wrote:
    I'm from the golden shores of Dorset...

Do you still have the daft accent? Or are you now the proud owner of that godawful RP?

well it appears I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.
  • asprilla
    Isn't knowing your neighbour more to do with living in a city than, say, in the country?

City residences tend to be a bit more liquid so there's less incentive and less time to get to know your neighbours.

Your city neighbours are also more likely to stab you in the face as soon as look at you.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    well it appears I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Which is it?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • clarkey cat
    Probably somewhere in between...

I sound more like Wurzle Gummage than Boris Johnson though.
  • rick_chasey
    Asprilla wrote:

Your city neighbours are also more likely to stab you in the face as soon as look at you.

Really? You've never been to Chatteris then.
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

Really? You've never been to Chatteris then.

No, but I have been to King's Lynne and that's banjo country in my eyes. I admit there are exceptions, but on the balance of probability......
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3