Happy Northerners

seataltea
seataltea Posts: 594
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
It's official, it's no longer Grim Up North....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... finds.html
'nulla tenaci invia est via'
FCN4
Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
CUBE Peleton 2012
Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter

Comments

• All that 'grim up north' business was just a ruse to keep out shandy drinking southerners.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Probably has a lot to do with the housing market. If you live in the South East, most people need to compromise a great deal to be able to afford a property. I'm guessing this has a lot to do with how content your are generally.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    if this is what you mean by 'happier' then I think we're better off being miserable southerners.

Hairy-Bikers-.jpg
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Probably has a lot to do with the housing market. If you live in the South East, most people need to compromise a great deal to be able to afford a property. I'm guessing this has a lot to do with how content your are generally.

There is a lot in that, a 5 bed 1930's detached fully modernised from the ground up inc loft conversion and tanked games room cellar all done by a developer with a 120ft garden and valley views has just sold next door but two to me for £330,000, Golf club 1/2 a mile away, best schools in the district etc.....

Anywhere within the M25 it'd have been double that, it allows us pigeon owning numpties more money to spend on the finer things in life, like more pigeons :D
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Burger!
    They are supposed to keep all this stuff secret.
    If this all gets out it could get congested up here and we don't want that.

Honest, we are all miserable up here. Really. Truthfully....
    And it's always raining and always cold and why would you want to move away from all that lovely......
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    seataltea wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

There is a lot in that, a 5 bed 1930's detached fully modernised from the ground up inc loft conversion and tanked games room cellar all done by a developer with a 120ft garden and valley views has just sold next door but two to me for £330,000, Golf club 1/2 a mile away, best schools in the district etc.....

Anywhere within the M25 it'd have been double that, it allows us pigeon owning numpties more money to spend on the finer things in life, like more pigeons :D
    And the rest: http://www.findaproperty.com/for-sale/property-9996560
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • It's true, Scotland really is just an overcrowded place with dour people, a high cost of living, expensive housing, awful scenery and no decent hilly countryside to cycle in. The traffic conjestion even on the back roads is just terrible. We're all depressed that we have to live here, to be honest.

Southerners are better off staying where they are, it's so much better down there. . .
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,771
    But the best place to live in London, therefore the country, is Kingston. It must be true it said so in the paper.
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-24034325-kingston-town-its-the-place-we-long-to-be.do
    House a few doors down from us was up for £470,000. No room for pigeons though, only 2 bedrooms. But, Richmond Park, Thames, easy access to central London, good schools and a whole lot more.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    The article is talking about the North of England not Scotland. We're just as miserable as ever (as evidenced by the fact our sucide rate is 80% higher than down south).
  • if this is what you mean by 'happier' then I think we're better off being miserable southerners.

Hairy-Bikers-.jpg

See what you mean CC. Things look so much better 'down souuffff' :wink:

Chas%20And%20Dave.jpg
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ahh ha...but don't southern softies get a higher rate of pay, than us Northern barbarian folk?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Southerners need all that extra money for nannies and private schools whereas whippets and pigeons cost next to nowt.
  • notsoblue
    mickbrown wrote:
    Southerners need all that extra money for nannies and private schools whereas whippets and pigeons cost next to nowt.
    They also don't need a CRB check. Little known loophole that...
  • veronese68
    notsoblue wrote:
    mickbrown wrote:
    Southerners need all that extra money for nannies and private schools whereas whippets and pigeons cost next to nowt.
    Which? Whippets or pigeons?
  • clarkey cat
    The North has some very pretty countyside, some nice castles and things too.

But the people... oh my god. "Can I be your friend?" "We're friends arent we?" "Bezzy friends forever!!!???"
    And thats just popping into Morrisons. A bit overbearing...
  • notsoblue
    Veronese68 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    mickbrown wrote:
    Which? Whippets or pigeons?
    Neither. Better upbringing too. And none of that controlled crying, montessori crap. LIFE SKILLS, like rat catching and homing.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    The North has some very pretty countyside, some nice castles and things too.

But the people... oh my god. "Can I be your friend?" "We're friends arent we?" "Bezzy friends forever!!!???"
    And thats just popping into Morrisons. A bit overbearing...

thats because all you southern types aren't accustomed to people actually speaking to each other in person instead of via email

emails arnt invented up here yet

hence the pigeons!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • I've never lived north of Watford, but that article reinforces my current cunning plan to move to the north west to be with my girlfriend instead of getting her to move down to Brighton. There are only two problems, the first is finding a job up there, and the second is making myself understood... Is there a "Scouse" edition of Rosetta Stone? Oh, and why don't the chippies have gherkins, but do have gravy? That's just strange.

Seriously though, 3-bed houses for the price of my small flat, close to the welsh mountains and the lakes, plenty of interesting stuff going on in the cities. The only reason I can see that everyone's not up there is that there's less work at the moment.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    mudcow007 wrote:
    ahh ha...but don't southern softies get a higher rate of pay, than us Northern barbarian folk?

I still get paid in ferrets!
  • notsoblue
    nameinuse wrote:
    I've never lived north of Watford, but that article reinforces my current cunning plan to move to the north west to be with my girlfriend instead of getting her to move down to Brighton. There are only two problems, the first is finding a job up there, and the second is making myself understood... Is there a "Scouse" edition of Rosetta Stone? Oh, and why don't the chippies have gherkins, but do have gravy? That's just strange.

Seriously though, 3-bed houses for the price of my small flat, close to the welsh mountains and the lakes, plenty of interesting stuff going on in the cities. The only reason I can see that everyone's not up there is that there's less work at the moment.

Don't bother, keep your southern accent. It inspires deference in northern folk.
  • clarkey cat
    I know a few people who have gone North and they loved it until they died of TB.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Veronese68 wrote:
    But the best place to live in London, therefore the country, is Kingston. It must be true it said so in the paper.
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-24034325-kingston-town-its-the-place-we-long-to-be.do
    House a few doors down from us was up for £470,000. No room for pigeons though, only 2 bedrooms. But, Richmond Park, Thames, easy access to central London, good schools and a whole lot more.

I think you'll find it's Walton-on-Thames (well Elmbridge) which currently has the second highest quality of life in the UK after Hart in Hampshire.

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news ... e_to_live/
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    Asprilla wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

I think you'll find it's Walton-on-Thames (well Elmbridge) which currently has the second highest quality of life in the UK after Hart in Hampshire.

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news ... e_to_live/
    Not in London, therefore a backwater. From the bloke who still says Kingston is in Surrey. Kingston, London just sounds wrong.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Is it a bell curve?

Cornwall = Tourist hating pasty chewers, not very happy.

West Country = Incomprehensible sister bother'ers - incomprehensible, scrumpy, happier

Midlands = Just awful but they can't live anywhere else as they sound daft so they live in anisolated bubble, happier still due to video games and blue pop

Northern England = Drunk, proper happy

Very Northern England = freezing cold and nothing there = less than happy

Lowland Scotland = Sectarian rust belt and member of the arc of prosperity that runs from Iceland through Ireland to errrrr -

Highland Scotland = no idea, must be awful.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • It's true, Scotland really is just an overcrowded place with dour people, a high cost of living, expensive housing, awful scenery and no decent hilly countryside to cycle in. The traffic conjestion even on the back roads is just terrible. We're all depressed that we have to live here, to be honest.

Southerners are better off staying where they are, it's so much better down there. . .

+1 I'm just soooooo depressed and dream of living on the M4 corridor....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    The north can be quite nice to visit, if you don't stay too long. Scotland? Nice enough place, apart from the people and the appalling weather.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    BigMat wrote:
    The north can be quite nice to visit, if you don't stay too long. Scotland? Nice enough place, apart from the people and the appalling weather.
    Well done. Keep it up. Lovin' your work!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • notsoblue
    BigMat wrote:

Thats whats nice about Scotland north of Inverness, theres practically nobody there!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Chester, Huddersfield and, best of all, Derby. DERBY!!!

No. The Telegraph is having a wind-up.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    cjcp wrote:
    Chester, Huddersfield and, best of all, Derby. DERBY!!!

No. The Telegraph is having a wind-up.

I actually couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Derby in the top ten.