Marco Pantani

shinyhelmut
shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
edited April 2012 in Pro race
Died 8 years ago today. A tragic end to a great career.

Here's inrng's tribute;

http://inrng.com/2012/02/marco-pantani-remembered/

Comments

• Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited February 2012
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    need some help here Commentateur....

:oops:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    It's an aerial shot of the Koksjide course used for the world cyclocross championships. Not sure of it's relevance here.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    andyp wrote:
    It's an aerial shot of the Koksjide course used for the world cyclocross championships. Not sure of it's relevance here.

It's clearly just a complicated allegory for Pantani's life and untimely demise. Surely everyone can see that?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    andyp wrote:

It's clearly just a complicated allegory for Pantani's life and untimely demise. Surely everyone can see that?

I thought it might be an eye-patch shape, becasue of the Pirate link.....
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    need some help here Commentateur....

:oops:
    Those flash rollover interfaces are annoying, so easy to grab the wrong code... anyway all fixed now. Carry on. :mrgreen:
  • Anyone read Matt Rendall's book on Pantani? Is it worth the £2 in 'the Works'?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Some love it - I found it heavy on detail and amateur psychology and light on entertainment. For £2 I'd say go for it .

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    I paid full price for it and don't regret it.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I enjoyed it but the last part does get a bit bogged down on the science.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Sounds like its worth my £2 then, i'll nip out at lunch.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    The rider that got me interested in cycling. His ride to les Deux Alpes was legendary. Managed to do that ride during the Marco Pantani Memorial Sportive last August, where I saw this guy.

303833_10150350924996142_524621141_10267796_7097848_n.jpg

At 6am in the morning it was quite a shock. Thought Il Pirata had been reincarnated :lol:
  • Wow, ideal worship eh. I hope he climbed as well as he kitted out : )
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Jesus, that really would make you do a double take wouldn't it!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ddraver
    Was he Italian - if he had a broad Yorkshire accent that would be great!

I though the Rendell book was OK, It was early in my appreciation of Pro Racing so a lot of it was new for me...
    - @ddraver
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Oh I didn't have the nerve to talk to him. Just took his picture in a sheepish, stalker like fashion :lol:
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    Anyone read Matt Rendall's book on Pantani? Is it worth the £2 in 'the Works'?

The Works? What/where's that?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Dabber wrote:
    Anyone read Matt Rendall's book on Pantani? Is it worth the £2 in 'the Works'?

The Works? What/where's that?

Its a discount bookshop in Leicester (think they have shops elsewhere, and they ARE online), one of them places that has 12month old books for 99p...can't complain really, got slaying the badger from there for £2, they have a great selection of Wildlife and Cooking books (both float my boat), and alot of the novels appear to be quite recent. Bought the whole 'girl with the...' set fo £4 a couple of years ago now. Obviously a lot of the stuff is naff, or not so current, but now and again a bargain still in the chart type book crops up that waterstones and amazon have up for £20 and the works have it for £2.99...Im rambling now, im not usually a fan of this type of shop but really can't grumble, i find myself nipping in on my lunchbreak quite often and buying all mannor of sh*t....
  • dabber
    Thanks for that... I found their online store but I couldn't find the Pantani book there. Never mind, I'll get a copy somewhere else.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Died 8 years ago today. A tragic end to a great career.

Here's inrng's tribute;

The second video here is absolutely amazing, the aggressiveness and energy of his climbing, the cadence and power is truly awesome.
    A legend of the late 90's peloton.
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • ddraver
    Dabber wrote:
    Thanks for that... I found their online store but I couldn't find the Pantani book there. Never mind, I'll get a copy somewhere else.

They re a chain, is there not one near you?
    - @ddraver
  • dabber
    ddraver wrote:
    Dabber wrote:

They re a chain, is there not one near you?

I had a look and there are a couple not too far away but by the time I'd paid for diesel, parking to get there (and they might not have it) it's just as easy to order from Amazon for a fiver or so. Thanks anyway.

• kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674

Here's inrng's tribute;

The second video here is absolutely amazing, the aggressiveness and energy of his climbing, the cadence and power is truly awesome.

Check out the link at the bottom of the comments to the Il chat del Giorno site, a similar clip of Armstrong doing the same on the climb to Sestriere in 1999. The good old 1990s/early 2000s in cycling.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    kieranb wrote:

Here's inrng's tribute;

Check out the link at the bottom of the comments to the Il chat del Giorno site, a similar clip of Armstrong doing the same on the climb to Sestriere in 1999. The good old 1990s/early 2000s in cycling.

Best ride either of them ever did those two.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    edited February 2012
    I loved Pantani on the bike and remember being pretty cut up when his death was announced (even more so when I read the detail). Rendell's book, however, makes a pretty good case that without the PEDs, Marco would have been a relatively average pro rider. I'm not saying I fully accept this view - he had a style that was anything but average to watch - but it has seriously dented the sense of wonder I got when watching those Giro and Tour victories.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Paulie W wrote:
    I loved Pantani on the bike and remember being pretty cut up when his death was announced (even more so when I read the detail). Rendell's book, however, makes a pretty good case that without the PEDs, Marco would have been a relatively average pro rider. I'm not syaing I fully accept this view - he had a style that was anything but average to watch - but has seriously dented the sense of wonder I got when watching those Giro and Tour victories.

You must still get the goosebumps when you see those rides though, surely?

Even just as a pure "this is as fast as a human has/will ever cycle up this" feeling?
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Paulie W wrote:
    I loved Pantani on the bike and remember being pretty cut up when his death was announced (even more so when I read the detail). Rendell's book, however, makes a pretty good case that without the PEDs, Marco would have been a relatively average pro rider. I'm not syaing I fully accept this view - he had a style that was anything but average to watch - but has seriously dented the sense of wonder I got when watching those Giro and Tour victories.

You must still get the goosebumps when you see those rides though, surely?

Even just as a pure "this is as fast as a human has/will ever cycle up this" feeling?

I wish I did but no.
  • I'm with Rick. I have the book and was staggered at the volume of and effot that went into his doping. But I still look at those rides and think "wow" simply because just about everyone in the peleton was up to their eyeballs as well so the playing field was essentially level - albeit at an artificially high level!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    Not the it was okay because it was a level playing field argument again. :roll:

A little bit of reading around the subject of how people respond differently to the same drug will soon make you conclude that it wasn't a level playing field.

Even more pertinently, the use of EPO and HGH were both banned at the time so all those who doped, and, lest we forget, some never did, were cheating.