Tights are for wimps.

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Blancmange wrote:
    What kind of person puts shorts on to ride a 4 mile commute?
    Maybe someone who likes to look at themselves in shop windows. :)

It'd have to be a huge window.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Jeez. Can’t believe there’s so many sensitive people out there ridding bikes. I’ve originally come from a martial arts background. Now that is a tough sport and wimps need not apply. Can’t even compare with cycling which is a soft sport relatively speaking. Let’s face it ,all we’re talking about is a bit of a cold breeze on your knees which if you’re putting the effort in to start with should generate enough heat to not be a problem. maybe some of the posters on here aren’t riding as hard as they are boasting about.
  • sturmey wrote:
    Jeez. Can’t believe there’s so many sensitive people out there ridding bikes. I’ve originally come from a martial arts background. Now that is a tough sport and wimps need not apply. Can’t even compare with cycling which is a soft sport relatively speaking. Let’s face it ,all we’re talking about is a bit of a cold breeze on your knees which if you’re putting the effort in to start with should generate enough heat to not be a problem. maybe some of the posters on here aren’t riding as hard as they are boasting about.

Actually I have inordinately long testicles - hence my cycling nickname "Inordinately Long Testicles Cleat" - they hang well below the knee and have to be gaffer taped to prevent wobblage, and a cold breeze on them babies aint much fun. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    sturmey wrote:
    Jeez. Can’t believe there’s so many sensitive people out there ridding bikes. I’ve originally come from a martial arts background. Now that is a tough sport and wimps need not apply.

Yeah I know what you mean. I've done origami too; those paper cuts are a bitch!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I also wear shorts (non cycling type) on my mega commute of 2 miles every day for 2 reasons.1, I can't be arsed getting bib shorts on, 2, my job is a pe teacher and its the law to wear shorts if you teach pe. Saying that I don't really get cold in minus conditions now think the body gets used to it
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Check out this guy - shorts OVER tights, whatever next ... :wink:

6864596999_0bed13c2d9.jpg
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    That guy is obviously just one of those club cyclists that buys too much gear...
  • So, this 'marital arts background' you come from. Are you a mate of Aggieboy or Cleat?

I know, I know, I really shouldn't but the temptation is too much.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    edited February 2012
    So, this 'marital arts background' you come from. Are you a mate of Aggieboy or Cleat?

I know, I know, I really shouldn't but the temptation is too much.

Don't drag me into this. I don't associate with self proclaimed "wimps" and liars..............
    sturmey wrote:
    I have done around 2000 miles in a pair of Northwave padded longs-but now a hole has worn through in the seat and the stitching in that area has completely worn away.

Is this a normal lifespan for these garments or is it a case of you get what you pay for?

(I have never slid down the road in them and my saddle is smooth as a baby's bottom )
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Lads Sturmey is either a Troll or a Twat.

I'd like to have seen him hang on in his shorts today for our 60+ mile ride! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Aggieboy wrote:

Don't drag me into this. I don't associate with self proclaimed "wimps" and liars..............
    sturmey wrote:
    I have done around 2000 miles in a pair of Northwave padded longs-but now a hole has worn through in the seat and the stitching in that area has completely worn away.

Is this a normal lifespan for these garments or is it a case of you get what you pay for?

(I have never slid down the road in them and my saddle is smooth as a baby's bottom )

BikeRadar scandal hey!! Good job someone never admitted to owning some legwarmers after that revelation hey!! :D:lol:
    sturmey wrote:
    "by sturmey » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:00 pm

I have some old bibshorts in a roubaix fabric so they are warm enough for me to wear with legwarmers down to about 2degC."
  • nweststeyn
    All you guys wearing shorts for cycling need to MTFU. I do my 250 mile commute every day to and from work in a pair of jeans, shirt and tie and barbour jacket. Wear some proper clothes FFS!
  • sturmey wrote:

:lol: Dancing around on a crashmat in a dressing gown or Cycling up and down mountain ranges 100+ miles every day for 3 weeks...yes, its easy to tell which is tough and which isn't....
  • Ben6899
    sturmey wrote:

:lol: Dancing around on a crashmat in a dressing gown or Cycling up and down mountain ranges 100+ miles every day for 3 weeks...yes, its easy to tell which is tough and which isn't....

Careful, Lad, or he'll fold you into either a swan, a boat or a hat.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    sturmey wrote:
    I’ve originally come from a martial arts background.
    .....maybe some of the posters on here aren’t riding as hard as they are boasting about.

I enjoyed watching Bruce Lee films too. I didn't come though.
    You commute 4 miles? Well hard.............. I don't want to know though.
    :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I refer the OP to a thread in Commuting Chat. 4 miles really is nothing to brag about. My girlfriend is new to this cycling lark and did 5 miles through the snow on the way to her kick boxing class.

Would you like her to kick your arse on a bike or in the ring?
    She's pretty good at origami too!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Careful, Lad, or he'll fold you into either a swan, a boat or a hat.

ROFL! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    I'm with the OP on this. It's the same with those mountaineer types who wear huge parkas, goggles and gloves just to climb a mountain in the snow. I went out for a walk yesterday to the top of a 100 foot hill which had lying snow and everything without any gloves, wearing a hoodie and wearing trainers. Bloody wimps!
  • Ben6899
    edited February 2012
    Pross wrote:
    I'm with the OP on this. It's the same with those mountaineer types who wear huge parkas, goggles and gloves just to climb a mountain in the snow. I went out for a walk yesterday to the top of a 100 foot hill which had lying snow and everything without any gloves, wearing a hoodie and wearing trainers. Bloody wimps!

We took my parents to Greenwich Observatory on Saturday. It was a pretty cold day and we were, indeed, well wrapped up - jeans, topcoat, hat, scarf, gloves. I noticed a middle-aged couple. I don't know where they had been or where they were heading (Siberia?), but they were wearing ALL the gear. Massive boots, gaiters, full waterproofs, massive gloves, backpacks chockablock full with god knows what etc. Not doing anyone any harm and I'm sure they were happy, but it struck me as a little OTT for a jaunt to Greenwich or anywhere in Southeast England.
    Ben

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

We took my parents to Greenwich Observatory on Saturday. It was a pretty cold day and we were, indeed, well wrapped up - jeans, topcoat, hat, scarf, gloves. I noticed a middle-aged couple. I don't know where they had been or where they were heading (Syberia?), but they were wearing ALL the gear. Massive boots, gaiters, full waterproofs, massive gloves, backpacks chockablock full with god knows what etc. Not doing anyone any harm and I'm sure they were happy, but it struck me as a little OTT for a jaunt to Greenwich or anywhere in Southeast England.

They were probably locals - remember, this was sub-zero temperatures in the South East of England :wink:
  • Ben6899
    Pross wrote:
    They were probably locals - remember, this was sub-zero temperatures in the South East of England :wink:

Out for a 'paper and to walk off the breakfast? :D
    Ben

• bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    This chap has a real point here.Many years ago{pull a sand bag and i tell ye a yarn} when i was a lad, i was always in shorts. Both home and school, even in winter .Bye heck we was tough then.Walking the 2 miles or bike to school was the norm.
    bagpuss
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    JLM74 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    I'm just going to watch for a while......................

Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif
    Still laughing at this. Can you please post it on the NHS thread...... :wink:
    bagpuss
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    All you guys wearing shorts for cycling need to MTFU. I go out completely stark bollock naked, except in the summer when i wear factor 5 suncream, factor 30 is for wimps and pussies., so there!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    bagpusscp wrote:
    This chap has a real point here.Many years ago{pull a sand bag and i tell ye a yarn} when i was a lad, i was always in shorts. Both home and school, even in winter .Bye heck we was tough then.Walking the 2 miles or bike to school was the norm.

Same with me. It was the school uniform. Still, if I'd had the choice, I'd have donned a pair of bibs for PE lessons in the snow. Would be considered child abuse today.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    nweststeyn wrote:
    That guy is obviously just one of those club cyclists that buys too much gear...

:shock: ..... :? ....... :oops:
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    All you guys wearing shorts for cycling need to MTFU. I go out completely stark bollock naked, except in the summer when i wear factor 5 suncream, factor 30 is for wimps and pussies., so there!

What brand is it for pussies? I don't mind rubbing some in!
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    pipipi wrote:

What brand is it for pussies? I don't mind rubbing some in!

not sure but I got it from Cleats'R'us' i'll ask next time i'm in :)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • nweststeyn
    Islwyn wrote:
    nweststeyn wrote:

:shock: ..... :? ....... :oops:

I didn't want to have to explain myself but I'm worried that some people may not have 'got' the joke I was attempting. That is one of my favourite riders and yes, I am aware of who he is. :D:lol: :roll:
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Four Yorkshiremen Sketch
    Monty Python
    Four well-dressed men sitting together at a vacation resort.
    Michael Palin: Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.

Graham Chapman: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, ay Gessiah?

Terry Gilliam: You're right there Obediah.

Eric Idle: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?

MP: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

GC: A cup ' COLD tea.

EI: Without milk or sugar.

TG: OR tea!

MP: In a filthy, cracked cup.

EI: We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

GC: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

TG: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

MP: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness."

EI: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.

GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

TG: You were lucky to have a ROOM! *We* used to have to live in a corridor!

MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.

EI: Well when I say "house" it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.

GC: We were evicted from *our* hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!

TG: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.

MP: Cardboard box?

TG: Aye.

MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

TG: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

ALL: Nope, nope..

www.davidpbrown.co.uk