Tights are for wimps.

sturmey
sturmey Posts: 964
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
I can't understand why so many cyclists at this time of year,typically the 'club cyclist'' types, insist on wearing long trousers or tights as they call tem. I don't even own a pair of these horrible things and wear shorts all year round on the bike yet never feel the cold even in minus 4 deg. Thinking of a reason foir this perhaps it is because I have a fast metabolism or maybe that I carry a bit of my own 'insulation' and have a diet rich in iron- I drink four cans of Guiness every night and curries and pork pies are my favourite food so maybe this has something to do with it? Anyway I wear shorts for five a side football so there is nothing wrong in my mind with wearing them on the bike at 7am on my 4 mile commute.

P'raps the rest of you need to mtfu.

Comments

• big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    so basically you're a lard ar$e and have a layer of blubber to keep you warm, is that what your saying?
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    big p wrote:
    so basically you're a lard ar$e and have a layer of blubber to keep you warm, is that what your saying?

:lol:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Try going faster.
    Windchill at a sustained 25 mph and -4 of @ -13 may well change your mind.

Other than that, you may not feel it now but your body will pay you back in later years.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    big p wrote:

:D

4miles?...is that all ? :shock:
  • sturmey wrote:
    I can't understand why so many cyclists at this time of year,typically the 'club cyclist'' types, insist on wearing long trousers or tights as they call tem. I don't even own a pair of these horrible things and wear shorts all year round on the bike yet never feel the cold even in minus 4 deg. Thinking of a reason foir this perhaps it is because I have a fast metabolism or maybe that I carry a bit of my own 'insulation' and have a diet rich in iron- I drink four cans of Guiness every night and curries and pork pies are my favourite food so maybe this has something to do with it? Anyway I wear shorts for five a side football so there is nothing wrong in my mind with wearing them on the bike at 7am on my 4 mile commute.

P'raps the rest of you need to mtfu.

Wow! My new hero.
  • This is going to be a beauty....I can smell it!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Sturmey on his 4 mile commute

3166471774_a42c105bdd_o.jpg?w=604&h=453
  • 04aug14-fat-guy-on-a-little-scooter.jpg

I notice in another thread you said you have a motorbike.

Is this you?
  • Sturmey on his 4 mile commute

3166471774_a42c105bdd_o.jpg?w=604&h=453

Are you 100% sure that's him?

I can't see any trace of Guinness & Pie belly there.
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFVnKx_AqqDeRK-uJ49fJKTuKmqnUSa-V1kfCzAgpFgwPZ3M_H

This guy totally agrees with your view of keeping it short. I'm not sure about his metabolism though....
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    I never needed long's either till I started upping the milage and cycling through the Winter.A few perishing day's out in baltic conditions soon put paid to that. :shock:
  • Guinness_Fleming_1280x1024.jpg

Dream Bike?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    4 miles wouldn't even warm my legs up lol.

MTFU yourself and try going a little further,faster.:)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I'm just going to watch for a while......................
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • The corn is being gobbled up like it's going out of fashion. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    The corn is being gobbled up like it's going out of fashion. :lol:
    For the greater good
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Is 4 miles even considered a bike ride? I couldnt be bothered getting changed for that - must be all of 15 or 20 mins for a proper cyclist!! Stop drinking like a fish and you may manage a 10 mile bike ride this summer. Do a detour and make it a proper ride to work :D:D

I wear longs as i dont want to knacker my knees / strain a cold muscle (plus i think anyone out in near zero temps looks a bit of a kn0b in shorts!!) :lol::lol:
  • JLM74
    JLM74 Posts: 108
    MattC59 wrote:
    I'm just going to watch for a while......................

Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    :D Brilliant :D

Popcorn anyone?
  • jim55
    jim55 Posts: 93
    ac4b49b6.jpg
    ??
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    :D Brilliant :D

Popcorn anyone?

Naaah, it's a fake. They are only properly funny if the OP really means it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Is it because they don't have leggings large enough?
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    hmmmmm 4 cans, curries, pork pies! WTF :shock: tights are least of your worries, big boy. Start looking after those arteries before you do yourself a mischief. :cry:
  • What a man, I bet he struggles to find shorts that can contain those enormous balls of his.
  • Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    Maybe it's something to do with how much power Sturmey generaites on his commute. OK it might bee only four miles, but if he a big guy he may be putting down 1000 watts average over the route. So I think we need to give the guy the respect he deserves.

We need to reconise that some guys are born athletes, who can break dedicated and seasoned cyclists with hardly any effort. One advantage these guys have is that they just don't feel the pain, hence the ability to wear shorts all year round in the first place.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Zingzang wrote:
    We need to reconise that some guys are born athletes, who can break dedicated and seasoned cyclists with hardly any effort.

He can break the seams on his shorts too - clearly an Arnie Schwarzenegger of the bike world :lol::lol:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12686654

or maybe

hulk-476.jpg
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Zingzang wrote:
    We need to reconise that some guys are born athletes, who can break dedicated and seasoned cyclists with hardly any effort.

He can break the seams on his shorts too - clearly an Arnie Schwarzenegger of the bike world :lol::lol:

or maybe

hulk-476.jpg
    Relation of speed_king?
  • Zingzang wrote:

or maybe

hulk-476.jpg

No sorry lads..that title belong to me... images on my flickr site testing in a full skinsuit
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Fat, hairy-legged mountain biker?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • What kind of person puts shorts on to ride a 4 mile commute?
    Maybe someone who likes to look at themselves in shop windows. :)
    - Slave to the cadence -