Coffee

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    London-Red wrote:
    Yep, Borough. Is the Market Porter the closest pub to Vinopolis? If so, that's the one. Friendly place. My fave has to be the Toucan. A few lost afternoons in the basement bar there...

It's the one on the corner opposite Monmouth and Neale's Yard Cheese, next to the pork sandwich stall which usually has loads of folks standing outside from 5.01 onwards each evening.

Loads of guest ales and nowhere to sit.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Asprilla wrote:
    London-Red wrote:
    Yep, Borough. Is the Market Porter the closest pub to Vinopolis? If so, that's the one. Friendly place. My fave has to be the Toucan. A few lost afternoons in the basement bar there...

It's the one on the corner opposite Monmouth and Neale's Yard Cheese, next to the pork sandwich stall which usually has loads of folks standing outside from 5.01 onwards each evening.

Loads of guest ales and nowhere to sit.

Yep, that's the one. Been there a couple of times, but have always been a bit beyond it by the time I've got there. Good barmaids iirc :)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    London-Red wrote:
    Give me a good quality Jennings Cumberland ale over anything.
    Oooh, never heard of that. Don't suppose anyone in Kingston does it?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Veronese68 wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

Didn't you used to have a picture of London Pride as your avatar? How the bally deuce can you not have heard of Jennings Cumberland?

It's not one of my favourites, but I don't think it travels very well. I think it's from Manchester-ish way. Gets more common around the Midlands, where they've not got any real beer to speak of.

/runs away
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • london-red
    Veronese68 wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

'Fraid not, although I'm sure I've seen the badge on the ceiling in the Park before. It's not really a national beer. Lake District and supermarkets...
  • veronese68
    davis wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

Didn't you used to have a picture of London Pride as your avatar? How the bally deuce can you not have heard of Jennings Cumberland?

It's not one of my favourites, but I don't think it travels very well. I think it's from Manchester-ish way. Gets more common around the Midlands, where they've not got any real beer to speak of.

/runs away
    Don't like to go too far north. Midlands is too far.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    London-Red wrote:
    I think this is the next one up in terms of strength from the one I had, so well worth a go. As is the Espresso, from the looks of it.
    If you mean the one in the black packet then it is nicer. Unfortunately I find that it is ground a touch too fine and some of the granules make it through the filter.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Kendal Black Drop
    Kendal Black Drop Posts: 638
    edited February 2012
    davis wrote:
    ...Jennings Cumberland?...

The clue is in the name...Cumberland. That's in what some people now call Cumbria.

As for coffee... yuck. What's wrong with tea?
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    Did someone mention Cumberland...as in a Cumberland sausage and two ripe avocados?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    davis wrote:

The clue is in the name...Cumberland. That's in what some people now call Cumbria.

yes, yes. I know, but my built-in navigation systems gets a little confused when I get to parts of the land that still have electrickery delivered by cart horse.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • london-red
    davis wrote:
    davis wrote:

yes, yes. I know, but my built-in navigation systems gets a little confused when I get to parts of the land that still have electrickery delivered by cart horse.

You'd be able to read a bloody map if you were from oop there my man...

Where abouts in Kendal are you from KBD?
  • London-Red wrote:

A nice old George Webster house overlooking Gooseholme.
  • london-red
    London-Red wrote:

A nice old George Webster house overlooking Gooseholme.

Lovely. I went to school just behind there - it's a lovely part of the world. But it rains too much.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,371
    davis wrote:

:? Not wanting to argue with a local, but I don't think the name Cumbria is that new.

107193.jpg
    From 1608

Also, not heard of Burton-on-Trent then?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    :? Not wanting to argue with a local, but I don't think the name Cumbria is that new.

Tis true, the name dates back to at least Roman times. As a modern day county it has only existed since 1974 when Cumberland, Westmorland and the part of Lancashire which extended into the Lake District (Furness) were amalgamated into one county.

As for Burton-on-Trent, well I'm familiar with Burton-in-Kendal, and Burton-in-Lonsdale, but Burton-on-Trent is down south, Staffordshire I believe, and I've never been there.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,371
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    Stevo 666 - you are philistine... yes despite that I still believe you deserve good coffee.
    Why thank you clarkey. I'll PM you my address so you can post some to me :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 - you are philistine... yes despite that I still believe you deserve good coffee.
    Why thank you clarkey. I'll PM you my address so you can post some to me :P

You do know that you can't reheat good coffee? It needs to be enjoyed hot and fresh, and *not* sipped cold from a jiffy bag.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    You do know that you can't reheat good coffee? It needs to be enjoyed hot and fresh, and *not* sipped cold from a jiffy bag.

Really...?

Looks like I'm the philistine after all.

Love the Lake District beers. Is Jennings not a Cockermouth brewery IIRC. My favourite from that way is 'Red Crag' or something like that. Like a few in the Kirkstone Pass after a taxing day on the eastern fells.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Illy and Lavatzza are both pretty reasonable.

I've cut down on coffee and now notice the hit when I want to wake up - I do drink loads of Assam tea though.

Instant coffee has its place - my son and daughters make pretty good coffee cakes and icing with it.
  • london-red

Really...?

Love the Lake District beers. Is Jennings not a Cockermouth brewery IIRC. My favourite from that way is 'Red Crag' or something like that. Like a few in the Kirkstone Pass after a taxing day on the eastern fells.

Coinston Bluebird is another favourite, but a bit weak. A nice breakfast beer :)

One of the best beer pubs in the Lakes is the Watermill in Ings, between Kendal and Windermere. Downside is that it's a bit of a food pub and usnt in the hills, but it has a micro brewery and about 15 draft beers on as standard. All quality stuff.
  • jimmypippa

Really...?

Bluebird bitter is also good - Coniston brewery..

I grew up in West Kent, and like Harvey's best (from Lewes) and my dad went to college with the person who set up and runs Larkins Brewery in Chiddingstone in Kent. That is also a good pint.
  • london-red
    jimmypippa wrote:

Really...?

Bluebird bitter is also good - Coniston brewery..

I grew up in West Kent, and like Harvey's best (from Lewes) and my dad went to college with the person who set up and runs Larkins Brewery in Chiddingstone in Kent. That is also a good pint.

Ha. Great minds...
  • jimmypippa
    London-Red wrote:

Ha. Great minds...

Ha, I just saw your post.

I actually find weaker beers have their place - they can be more refreshing and can have a lot of flavour.

Mind you Old Peculier has a fair bit of flavour, and isn't exactly weak.

Some of the Peak District microbreweries brew a nice pint - it isn't as much of a desert as when I moved here 10-years ago.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Ha - I bought a 4 pack of Bluebird for the train journey back to London last time I was up that way! I'd just done Helvellyn and the lad I was with was banging on about it all the way down and back to Penrith
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Re Illy, I find that it's not that much nicer than lavazza and 3 times the price, so I inevitably go for lavazza. Reasonable balance between price, convenience, and flavour.
  • london-red
    Re Illy, I find that it's not that much nicer than lavazza and 3 times the price, so I inevitably go for lavazza. Reasonable balance between price, convenience, and flavour.

Ah yes, back on topic. Bought two new coffees from the Italian deli on Park Road this morning. Mockarabia and Kimbo espresso. The former is what they use as standard in the deli and is great, the latter is strong. Both good.
  • london-red
    London-Red wrote:

Ah yes, back on topic. Bought two new coffees from the Italian deli on Park Road this morning. Mockarabia and Kimbo espresso. The former is what they use as standard in the deli and is great, the latter is strong. Both good.

Sorry, that's Park Road in Kingston for those who are local. Deli's called Fratellis.
  • veronese68
    They do have some very good stuff in there. But I very rarely go in, temptation is too great. I could quite easily bankrupt myself in there.
  • London-Red wrote:
    Coniston Bluebird is another favourite, but a bit weak. A nice breakfast beer :)

One of the best beer pubs in the Lakes is the Watermill in Ings, between Kendal and Windermere. Downside is that it's a bit of a food pub and usnt in the hills, but it has a micro brewery and about 15 draft beers on as standard. All quality stuff.

A couple of good recommendations there London-Red.

I've often stopped at the Watermill on my way back from cycling and climbing trips in the Lakes.