Coffee

london-red
london-red Posts: 1,266
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
I seem to remember that this board plays host to a few coffee aficionados, so a request for advice.

I've recently rediscovered my stove top coffee machine. Lovely. But what coffee should I be using? Easy to source answers only please, as I can't be bothered with a trip to Borough Market or Soho...

Cheers.

Comments

• NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    The best coffee? The one you like!
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • This'll get shot down in flames, but Aldi's French roast is really quite excellent.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,371
    City Beverage Co. on Old Street (Hoxton Square area) has a good selection and people who can help you.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • london-red
    NGale wrote:

Oh come on, that's not very helpful.

I've just finished this http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/i ... 8890758301 which was very nice, but am looking for some more wow.
  • london-red
    rjsterry wrote:
    City Beverage Co. on Old Street (Hoxton Square area) has a good selection and people who can help you.

Fails the ease of sourcing test...
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I like both of these (sometimes I make a blend). They're great because you don't have to bang the coffee funnel thing on the compost box to empty the grits when you're done.

Coffee4-380_754593a.jpg
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    http://www.monmouthcoffee.co.uk/shops

Apparently very good and London based..
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,371
    London-Red wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Sorry, you didn't specify your location.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    iPete wrote:
    http://www.monmouthcoffee.co.uk/shops

Apparently very good and London based..

Really excellent, individual or blends. They'll let you try as many as you like and then grind them for espresso or filter etc.. If you go to the Borough Market branch then be advised, the queue nearest the pub is for sitting in and having a cup. The non-existant queue to the counter on the right is if you're buying beans/ground to take away. The staff really know their stuff and can make recommendations based on your flavour preferences. Just go even if it's only for the smell. 8)

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    London-Red wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Oh come on, that's not very helpful.

I've just finished this http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/i ... 8890758301 which was very nice, but am looking for some more wow.

true though. The coffee I like is not the coffee Jake likes. All a matter of individual taste
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • london-red
    rjsterry wrote:
    London-Red wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Sorry, you didn't specify your location.

Good point.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Taylors - which you can get at Waitrose is nice.

Other than that just go into any decent coffee shop in town and they will stuff with tasting notes and will be best placed to advise. Just try lots of different types! Whereabouts are you?
  • london-red
    Kingston. Thought people would have their favourites. You know, a guaranteed result. Like Pilsner Urquell or Timmy Taylor is for beers...
  • clarkey cat
    different beers for different cheers tho innit. Tim Taylors for an afterwork session in the city... but would u have it with oysters? Or at an August bank holiday barbecue? (the answer is no - yo'd have Meantime London Porter and Honeydew, respectively)

same with coffee.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    notsoblue wrote:
    I like both of these (sometimes I make a blend). They're great because you don't have to bang the coffee funnel thing on the compost box to empty the grits when you're done.

Coffee4-380_754593a.jpg
    Glad someone else has fessed up to liking instant coffee, seems to be the 'love that dare not speak it's name on this forum. I've got a jar of Percol rainforest instant inthe cupboard that's going down very well right now :-) Call me a Philistine, but I can't be ar$ed with all this fancy stuff...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Coffee4-380_754593a.jpg
    Glad someone else has fessed up to liking instant coffee, seems to be the 'love that dare not speak it's name on this forum. I've got a jar of Percol rainforest instant inthe cupboard that's going down very well right now :-) Call me a Philistine, but I can't be ar$ed with all this fancy stuff...
    F*ck no, I was joking. :|
  • clarkey cat
    Stevo 666 - you are philistine... yes despite that I still believe you deserve good coffee.

I like instant too - Douwe Egberts for me. But I also like 'proper coffee'
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I too prefer instant coffee.... Get through gallons of the stuff.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Illy - available from Tesco and top quality. Job done.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    jds_1981 wrote:
    I too prefer instant coffee.... Get through gallons of the stuff.

Reminds me of a Richard Pryor joke.

Who wants to have sex all night long? Do it right the first time and get a good nights sleep. :lol:

Same applies :wink:

But not the sleep part. Obviously. :wink:

Back OT. Just finished a cup of Lavazza Red out of my stovetop coincidentally enough.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    notsoblue wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Coffee4-380_754593a.jpg
    F*ck no, I was joking. :|
    Sorry, I should have realised when I saw the pic - you don't shop at Asda. BTW, that Percol stuff is available at Waitrose ;-)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    Algerian Coffee Stores on Old Compton Street. Wholesale prices when I buy 2.5kg.

Thier Cuban is good. A lot of the beans you can buy green to roast to. my desired finish at home.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I only drink coffee in Italy. I like a really short, strong espresso, they are all so f'ing long over here. I drink tea in the UK. I don't try either in it's opposite location. A lesson I learnt a good while ago.
  • london-red
    different beers for different cheers tho innit. Tim Taylors for an afterwork session in the city... but would u have it with oysters? Or at an August bank holiday barbecue? (the answer is no - yo'd have Meantime London Porter and Honeydew, respectively)

same with coffee.

I can drink Urquell at any time, whatever the occasion and in whatever quantities :)
    Illy - available from Tesco and top quality. Job done.

Nice one. Will try it. Have had it in cafes before, obviously, but let's give it a go in the stove top.
    Just finished a cup of Lavazza Red out of my stovetop coincidentally enough.

I think this is the next one up in terms of strength from the one I had, so well worth a go. As is the Espresso, from the looks of it.

@Asprilla I'll definitely try out Monmouth. Think I was drinking in the pub next to it not too long ago.
  • clarkey cat
    I can drink Urquell at any time, whatever the occasion and in whatever quantities

if you're a lager drinker then I'd go with NSB's suggestion.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    London-Red wrote:
    @Asprilla I'll definitely try out Monmouth. Think I was drinking in the pub next to it not too long ago.

Which Monmouth?

If it was the one in Borough Market then that would be the Market Porter pub which is one of my favourite pubs in London.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Nice pint of Tim Taylor's in the Park Tavern last week. Mmmmm.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Illy's pretty damn good, IMO. If you like the taste, but not the price, then Lavazza Gold (Oro) gets reasonably close. If we're talking easily-available coffees.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • london-red
    if you're a lager drinker then I'd go with NSB's suggestion.

Now, now. Good lager's got its place - and Urquell is good lager. I tend to drink it more in London because the quality of draft beer varies massively. Give me a good quality Jennings Cumberland ale over anything.
    If it was the one in Borough Market then that would be the Market Porter pub which is one of my favourite pubs in London.

Yep, Borough. Is the Market Porter the closest pub to Vinopolis? If so, that's the one. Friendly place. My fave has to be the Toucan. A few lost afternoons in the basement bar there...