Tour of Qatar

Comments

• corona
    corona Posts: 116
    Marlin151 wrote:
    Anyone local know if they plan to keep next Friday's final stage from Sealine into Doha open after the Pro's have been through? - I read that this happened in previous years and was a good opportunity to meet them at the start and then for locals ride into Doha (hoping for a tail wind). Can't find any upto date info on QatarChainreaction club site. Cheers.

It's the same format as the last few years. BBQ at the Sealine centre and a chance to chat to the riders. Then we set off, and get to Doha in time for one or two laps of the Corniche (which is closed to traffic). We then clear the road, relax and watch the pros do 7 laps of the Corniche.
  • Corona - Thanks for the info. Hope to be there. Sounds fun.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Doobz wrote:
    World Champ hits the deck

looks like she hit a........

a......

What actually happened there?
    she hit a cats eye - they are bigger here than UK ones
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • ilm_zero7
    corona wrote:
    Final day today, I had a great day planned. Early morning ride, in to Doha to watch a bit of the Doha masters (golf) then the finish of the ladies race.

Ride had a puncture before I got going, The golf is suspended due to high winds, I'm wandering if the cycling will be on. Has a stage ever been cancelled due to high winds before?
    it was wild today - that solo american who pulled away over 3 minutes into the headwind had guts! The pack were just about doing 28kph much of the way to Al khor
  • ilm_zero7
    Marlin151 wrote:
    Anyone local know if they plan to keep next Friday's final stage from Sealine into Doha open after the Pro's have been through? - I read that this happened in previous years and was a good opportunity to meet them at the start and then for locals ride into Doha (hoping for a tail wind). Can't find any upto date info on QatarChainreaction club site. Cheers.
    yes it is happening , but we will be riding ahead of the Pros from Sealine to the corniche - and there is a ride down leaving Bidda Park at 7:30 am
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    Doobz wrote:
    World Champ hits the deck

looks like she hit a........

a......

What actually happened there?
    she hit a cats eye - they are bigger here than UK ones

If you read previous comments. someone already pointed out that her crank came LH crank arm came off. That's what you can see in the road. Not a Cats eye.. :oops: :wink:
    cartoon.jpg
  • indeed - but which came first?
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    The chicken?
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Stage 1 goes to Tom Boonen, in a really rather boring sprint.
  • ilm_zero7
    edited February 2012
    it was hardly that in the flesh - a real power lead out up the incline from 800m, OPQ looked really impressive, and a great second place for AB.

Cav never seemed to contest it and didnt look too good at the finish.

Chatting with Greg Henderson at the finish - he punctured 5km out and was busted to get back into the peloton - but an impressive shredded tyre right through to the canvas in one crash avoiding skid!
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    I only caught the end, no sign of cav. did he retire due to ill health?
    Insert witty signature here
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    pease wrote:

No, he hung around at the back of the peloton all day. He finished, but never showed any interest in being involved.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    RichN95 wrote:
    pease wrote:

No, he hung around at the back of the peloton all day. He finished, but never showed any interest in being involved.

To be fair I think Cav has been ill in the last few days so was never likely to feature.

I hope these wins are a sign that we are going to see some of the old Tom Boonen in the classics this year.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    it was hardly that in the flesh - a real power lead out up the incline from 800m, OPQ looked really impressive, and a great second place for AB.

Good to know! The TV coverage here was a bit confused... The commentators barely noticed in time that the riders had crossed the finish line - they were still trying to figure out who was contesting the sprint and it was over. The camera cut to the finish line about 1 second before Boonen crossed it and that was all we knew :shock:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Yeah a helicopter shot until 200 metres to go is not really helpful for the TV commentators or viewers.

Boonen looked alright, but Boonen in Qatar is like Greipel in Australia. It counts for nothing when the real season starts.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Has Rick C fainted?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,592
    Excellent.

Terribly positioned and Hushovd couldn't go past.

:).

Tends to have a good season when he wins Qatar (04-05-06-07-08), so fingers crossed !

What do people think of the QS kit now we've seen it in the flesh?
  • RichN95.
    Excellent.

It wasn't Hushovd. It was Adam Blythe (a good day for British youngsters today).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,592
    RichN95 wrote:
    Excellent.

It wasn't Hushovd. It was Adam Blythe (a good day for British youngsters today).

Ah fair enough. Just saw the Europort clip (poor quality) and Blythe got tagged by Harmon as Hushovd.
  • 01-results.jpg

Last 5km:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjo_Q0F88Mc

Getty
    7a621fde94db709b771406a7d23af510-getty-508638056.jpg
    These red shorts are a disaster. New shoes.
    02123ef3b8526871392698270dab8b55-getty-508637929.jpg
    a3dc5af3b254532d7e4a877bff02b334-getty-508636842.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Excellent.

Yep with Fenn:
    bettiniphoto_0098031_1_full_600.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • eddy+2.jpg

Like the bike. New shoes for Tom, like Contador's. Kit is superb.
    boonen+s+works.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bronzini's crash - rather dramatic!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWmGlKohaXc
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Doobz

Like the bike. New shoes for Tom, like Contador's. Kit is superb.

Shoes must be 2013 S-Works Prototype's as Contador is wearing the same type. I guess boonen is not a fan of the venge. Might be too stiff for his bad back..

I would love to see some close-ups of those shoes so if anyone see's any please post!

e2a: Really made up for boonen too. Hopefully he can keep this run of form going..
    cartoon.jpg
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Who do people think are the favourite for the TTT tomorrow? Sky? BMC? Garmin?
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Fabu looking lean
    Getty
    f8b141bfd673cc7b3aa01765e0ee136b-getty-508638139.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • 02_03_12_qatar_03_stage3_819_600.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Doobz
    2013-Specialized-S-Works-road-bike-shoe-spy-shot-536x600.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • RichN95.
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Who do people think are the favourite for the TTT tomorrow? Sky? BMC? Garmin?

OPQS seem on good form all round at the moment and they got a good team for the job out there, so I'll tip them.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I'm so happy the season has started and i'm chuffed to see Tom back winning... however... jeez its so tough to enjoy this race...