Things non-cyclists say to cyclists

Comments

• byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    After cycling to work this morning, a barmy -4 in these parts, I was "totally hardcore" for doing so! Cheered me up!
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    As I got changed into my winter gear at work: "getting your gimp suit on are you?" - "you should see my other one"
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    "You look like a golf club." (from the wife)

Apparently this is the effect created by big cleated road shoes, overshoes and bib longs.

My commuting attire is marginally more relaxed, and doesn't normally attract any interest from colleagues, even on the rare occasions where I've turned up late and had to sit through meetings wearing tights.
  • a new one today, almost pissed on the spot..

"What did you get for you Birthday Ga?"

"A cycling top, some Budweiser, tickets for a concert and Lance Armstrong's autobiography"

"Is he still alive?"

"Of course he is! He's only in his early forties"

"F**k off, he went to the moon over 40 years ago!!"

All this from a 23 year old, probably more of a comment on the state of education/stupidity levels.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    "Can we stop talking about cycling now?"
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    gareth1234 wrote:
    a new one today, almost pissed on the spot..

"A cycling top, some Budweiser, tickets for a concert and Lance Armstrong's autobiography"

"Is he still alive?"

"Of course he is! He's only in his early forties"

"F**k off, he went to the moon over 40 years ago!!"

All this from a 23 year old, probably more of a comment on the state of education/stupidity levels.
    Hey, credit where it's due, he/she knew when man first walked on the moon. Rightly or wrongly, there's no GCSE in 'names of cyclists' :wink:

EDIT: Also, (from a police officer) "Gawd, you must be freezing, it's really cold out there". This was after I'd told her I'd been standing outside the police station cooling down for five minutes....her powers of deduction weren't exactly Sherlock-esque.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I wasn't on the bike today, first time for months. So I got:

"Have you met the new guy?"

"Have you got a new car?"

"I didn't recognise you in normal clothes"
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    gareth1234 wrote:

"Some Budweiser"

You poor f*cker.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    gareth1234 wrote:

"Some Budweiser"

You poor f*cker.

Must have been the 'joke' present before the 'real' presents of the concert tickets and Lance Armstrong's autobiography...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Bi50N
    Bi50N Posts: 87
    "Did you cycle today?"

To me, in commuting gear, carrying two panniers. Typically uttered by people in finance, accounts, sales, or other departments where quick thinking is not a prerequisite.

"Did you really cycle today?"

To me, in commuting gear, carrying two panniers. Typically uttered, with incredulity, by the people that add more than two spoons of sugar to their tea or bring in cakes / sweets 'for the team.'

To me, in commuting gear, carrying two panniers. Typically uttered by fantasists / conspiracy theorists / those with hyperactive imaginations.

To me, in commuting gear, carrying two panniers. Typically uttered by anyone when it's cold, raining, or both.

And my girlfriend's favourite:

'But you don't need another bike.'
  • Mr Plum
    "It takes me double that time to get here in the mornings!" - from the guy who lives about 200m down the road from me.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Mr Plum wrote:
    "It takes me double that time to get here in the mornings!" - from the guy who lives about 200m down the road from me.

My neighbour works just up the road from me. Today we were leaving at the same time and said hello as we did so. I headed off on the bike and she headed up the road for the bus.

I got to work, locked up the bike, changed, turned on the PC, chatted to some work colleagues and then nipped out to Pret for a coffee and some porridge. Only to meet my neighbour who'd just arrived and was gobsmacked to see me there already since she'd thought everything commute-wise had gone really smoothly this morning...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Things non-cyclists say? How about eeEEYYyeennn, or some such? That was all I heard shouted out of the open window of a lorry going in the opposite direction tonight on my way home. Maybe the whole sentence was the epitome of verbosity & wit skilfully precied into a short snappy sentence, but with a closing speed of 70mph and the added benefit of the Doppler Effect, that's all I heard. I suspect it was a reference to onanism, but honestly what was Rubber Duck hoping to get out of this brief high-speed exchange? Witty repartee?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    "That red light on your hat is brighter than the traffic lights"
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • 'Which white bike is that ?'

Owning bikes of all the same colour is a useful tool in confusing the other half about what you actually own.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • I used to have a racer.
    1990 - Trek 950
    1991 - Orbit America Multiflo
    1992 - Orbit STOLEN!
    1992 - Roberts DOGS BOLX
    1994 - Roberts STOLEN!
    2003 - Specialized Epic
    2006 - Specialized Allez Elite
  • To me, about to leave my daughter's this afternoon, in tights, helmet, with road-grizzed Hump over my rucksack: ''Drive safely.''
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    I can't count the amount of times I've had this one: "So are you going to do the Tour De France then?"

Or: "So how far do you cycle on saturday with your club" "70 miles" "Oh 17 miles? Thats a long way!"
  • On a similar note, how about those who when you tell them that you cycled to Brighton/Windsor/(insert place more than 30 miles away) assume that you did it for charity?
  • " You don't look old enough to have an 18year old son "

Now said to me 3 times, by three different women.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    "I bet you were looking at all the people in their nice warm cars wishing you were driving to work instead of cycling!"

Erm, no. More like blazing past glad I'm not stuck in that massive tailback.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • by SimonPieman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:25 pm

I used to have a racer.

One of the funniest things I've ever read!! As a 34 year old male this is SO true!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Redjeep! wrote:
    " You don't look old enough to have an 18year old son "

Now said to me 3 times, by three different women.

That can be taken one of two ways...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    notsoblue wrote:
    "Can we stop talking about cycling now?"

Haha yes hear that one a lot!
  • sexysi
    sexysi Posts: 50
    Had a great one yesterday. Coming down the hill into Lewisham high street cars all queued on the road, so coming down the outside towards a traffic island. Next thing i know 2 people just walk out from in between the cars and I nearly take them out. The guy says to me

"Slow down you are going too fast"

Love it ;-)

si
    "Oh, Edmund! Can it be true? That I hold here, in my mortal hands, a nugget of purest green!"
    Road = 1980 Raleigh Record Sprint
    MTB = 2000 Scott Vail
    Road = 2002 Peugeot c300 comp road race bike
    Road = 2012 Bianchi Impulso
    Car = Saab 93, MGTF
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    "Hello, some people have eyes you know".

Well thanks for that shocking insight! Said to me by some drunk old slags sitting on the floor, moaning that my lights were shining in their eyes. I have some moderately bright lights on the front which are angled towards the ground for the very reason of avoiding blinding people. If you sit on the floor, that's what you get.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    On a similar note, how about those who when you tell them that you cycled to Brighton/Windsor/(insert place more than 30 miles away) assume that you did it for charity?

Get that a lot on FNRttCs. Not only cycling somewhere at least 50 miles from the start (and quite a few cycle back into the smoke or to home, including myself). But doing it at night....

When I did Pedal to Paris (the British Legion charity ride), I had more sarcastic comments than donations at work. Usually from the kind of people who take the lift rather than walk down, let alone up, one flight of stairs....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    "I can't believe you ride to work!"

*shrug* "Why not?"

"Because there are dozy people like me driving!"... said cheerfully as she got into her car...

Yep, it's my cycling that's in need of redress.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Mr Plum
    "You'll never eat all that!"
    FCN 2 to 8
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Mr Plum wrote:
    "You'll never eat all that!"
    :D I get this

'Double portion of porridge this morning?'

Nope, this is normal, and I'll be snacking by 10.30 too
    Rose Xeon CW Disc