Cold, dry, week ahead

Comments

• -6C this morning. I think that this is the coldest of the winter so far. I bet it gets colder yet though.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    Coldest day this year over here in Norfolk at -2 this morning.
    Forecast down to -6 for the rest of the week.

Decided on the MTB as there was plenty of ice in the garden but the roads were will gritted an aside from a few patches would have been alright on the road bike. Better safe than sorry I suppose.

We don't get it anywhere near as bad as up north but I'm still expecting snow at some point.
    We have to......................I bought spiked tyres and everything :wink:
  • -10C here, coldest of the winter. Still have rutted ice left over from snow 2 weeks ago, so the spikes are very much in use.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Warm & wet for sure.

Then again, how often are you both warm AND wet when cycling?

Wet more or less always = cold - which is the problem.
  • Bobbygloss wrote:
    -10C here, coldest of the winter. Still have rutted ice left over from snow 2 weeks ago, so the spikes are very much in use.

Yup - from Google Maps you look slightly further north than me but, more importantly, part of a much bigger land mass.
    Then again, how often are you both warm AND wet when cycling?

Wet more or less always = cold - which is the problem.

Hmmm - I'm nearly always warm on the bike as I run hot. If I get cold, I just have to pedal harder. I notice I'm often one "step" out of synch with many riders in how I'm dressed. -6C brought out the balaclava when I've noticed many riders near me with them on at above 0C. Same with tights vs shorts.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Dug out my emergency eye wear this morning, uber sexy Bolle safety specs! And my face is still red!
    opplanet-bolle-safety-glasses.gif
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Buff tried to kill me this morning, cycling along fine, suddenly couldn't breath in as the ruddy thing had frozen solid, what use a buff, only good for -2 to -4C, above that don't need it, below that it tries to kill me!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Guilty pleasure time: Craghopper Kiwi Thermal trousers, Caterpillar boots & DaKine Goretex snowboard gauntlets.
    On getting to work, it felt more like stripping off after a morning's winter sporting.
  • It's very much affected by being close to the sea, not distance north. Drive south east for half an hour, and it was -21C this morning, and they get much more snow.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Eh?
    Thermal long johns, cotton baggies, base layer and soft shell (Aldi), gloves (Aldi) and buff all that was needed, even stuck to normal cotton socks.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Bobbygloss wrote:
    It's very much affected by being close to the sea, not distance north. Drive south east for half an hour, and it was -21C this morning, and they get much more snow.

That was my point about land mass.
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    had to whip out the overshoes for the first time this winter.
  • I had problems with a sticky freehub due to the cold
  • Still haven't succumbed to the lure of the balaclava but double leggings and a pair of armwarmers under my baselayer this morning did help. My jacket has breathable arms which is great until it gets to about 3C and then gets chilly. Don't feel cold while on the bike but when I change, my legs feel icy to the touch.

Did see a bloke yesterday though in a pair of short shorts and a thin white T-shirt.... brrrrrrrrrrr!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Still seeing lots of FOOLS mostly in London wearing shorts - STOP IT you plonkers you'll knacker you're knees and you make me feel colder.

I on the other hand have been wearing civvies this year, jeans a base layer jersey, wool jumper and my normal heavy winter jacket - simple & warm on/off the bike, mind you if my commute was any further than 4 miles at a time that wouldnt work.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    minus 5 this morning at 6.30 and minus 4.3 right now B B B brrrrr!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Pretty cold this week, Cragghoppers lined trousers, woolly socks even had to throw on a base layer today
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • itboffin
    stop the press -5 now but it's okay i have the fire going and cold beer in the frosty mug - universal balance has been restored :D
  • -4 again on way home but windchill much less today...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    lovely ride in this morning, bleeding freezing, not a cloud in the sky an a low sun casting long shadows

bloody marvellous
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    lovely ride in this morning, bleeding freezing, not a cloud in the sky an a low sun casting long shadows

bloody marvellous

+1

Tried a new route this morning, which gave me an extra mile of deserted sunlit country roads. My water seems to have frozen in my bottle, though.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    The EPO has just told me there's an amber snow warning for us. Warmer wetter atlantic currents meeting the cold air crrently over us causing snow. I've actually really enjoyed some of the bright but cold days. If it does snow I hope it does it properly, not just half arsed sleet.
    I suppose as the week is over this should go in a new thread for whatever next week will bring us.
    MRS, I hope you get your Volagi weather up there.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    MRS, I hope you get your Volagi weather up there.

Thanks V68, it was looking good last time I looked. The Beeb seem to have backed away from their forecast of 10C for Tuesday and now it's just 8C but, so long as there's no ice, I'm happy.
  • Initialised
    -6 this morning.

Bottom: Cragghoppers trousers, Heatkillers socks, MT42s, Pro-Race overshones.
    Top: Trek Mates Bamboo base layer, SPEG Avert Mk3, Aldi Gloves and Cap and a buff from Blacks.

Toes took a while to thaw, little fingers a bit chilly, maybe add glove liners next time it dips that low.

If it snows over the weekend I'm heading up to Chopwell Woods.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    -6 this morning.

Bottom: Cragghoppers trousers [...]

If these are the lined ones, they're fab! I can forgive the static flash on removal on the basis of their toasty, toasty quality prior.
  • I am off skiing tomorrow. Today it was -23C at the top of the lift <gulp>
  • I am off skiing tomorrow. Today it was -23C at the top of the lift <gulp>
    Now thats cold...

If anything it was warmer in NW London tonight than last night... was -5.5 this morning but was a balmy -2 on the way home tonight, 3deg warmer than the -5 i recorded last night, probably due to the fact there was no wind to speak of tonight.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Initialised
    Yay, snow
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yay, snow
    Snow down here too!

I've got to drive to Worcester tonight for a night out, then going on to the Forest of Dean for MTBing tomorrow morning....hmmmm.

Oh well, gives the winter tyres a chance to shine! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Mild here - but raining. Volagi is pretty much ready for its inaugural ride though I'm happy to let this rain wash the salt off the road