Cold, dry, week ahead

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Struck by the BBC forecast for the coming week for up here: every day is almost identical. Max 3C Min -1C Sunny 7mph wind. Pretty much the best forecast I can hope for at this time of year. It would be great if it wasn't freezing but it's mid-winter in the Highlands of Scotland. Think I'll take the Cube MTB all week with the Spiker Pros on
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Still sub-zero here (nearly mid-day). Not much frost, just the grass looks white so not much moisture in the air.

Lets hope the snow follows to justify our investment in ice tyres.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • dry and hovering around 0 today out in the Chilterns, wind chill on the fast descents got to the fingers and toes though despite winter gloves and overshoes :(
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,705
    Went out for a couple laps round Richmond park.

Remembered why I don't cycle when it's cold. Makes me feel sick & dizzy.

Not fun.

Give me 35 degrees any day.
  • meanredspider

Lets hope the snow follows to justify our investment in ice tyres.

I think I've had my money's worth. Still a couple of months of ice tyre weather to go for me at least.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Struck by the BBC forecast for the coming week for up here: every day is almost identical. Max 3C Min -1C Sunny 7mph wind.

I thought the same - unusual to have every day the same forecast - max 2C each day min -3C each day in the Borders. Translates to -5 in the early morn here so likewise will be using the spike bike all week I guess.

Great training ride yesterday. In the afternoon it was 4 degrees, zero wind, bright sunshine. Had to wait til midday so that frost would be clear but still some bits of (avoidable) snow on the highest roads.

This is great weather for riding - with gloves and overshoes and decent socks, all is toasty warm - far better than a roasting hot summer day for sure.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,705

This is great weather for riding - with gloves and overshoes and decent socks, all is toasty warm - far better than a roasting hot summer day for sure.

crazy.gif
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I don't mind the cooler temperatures even though it means it takes 15 minutes to get ready. But it always seems to be more difficult to pedal in the winter :(
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I've got reports showing 50/50 on snow or not at the moment

However, they all agree it's going to be COLD

Got a mate in Berlin and the 'realfeel' for him is -13 at the moment!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • No, cold is ok (I know, relative to you chaps in the frozen north). Just hate the rain.

Has anyone noticed how wide the BBC forecast is? Type in "Fareham, Hampshire" and they talk about the weather in Oxford. Apparently this is the "improved" website. Useless. The TV forecast is not much better.

Go out, expect to get wet and if you dont, bonus! Rant over :)
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • meanredspider
    No, cold is ok (I know, relative to you chaps in the frozen north). Just hate the rain.

Has anyone noticed how wide the BBC forecast is? Type in "Fareham, Hampshire" and they talk about the weather in Oxford. Apparently this is the "improved" website. Useless. The TV forecast is not much better.

If you think that's bad, on BBC Mobile, I get the forecast for Glasgow for Inverness (only 180 miles away...) That's like typing in Fareham and getting Stafford's weather
  • Kieran_Burns
    Castle Donington, Leicestershire

2°C
    Current: Light rain
    Wind: SE at 14 km/h
    Humidity: 93%
    Sun 6° | -3°
    Mon 4° | -3°
    Tue 4° | -4°
    Wed 3° | -10°

errr....... I hope someone's got that wrong and added a 0 where they shouldn't have.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • No, cold is ok (I know, relative to you chaps in the frozen north). Just hate the rain.

If you think that's bad, on BBC Mobile, I get the forecast for Glasgow for Inverness (only 180 miles away...) That's like typing in Fareham and getting Stafford's weather

my folks live 800ft on the side of a hill, the nearest town is 4 miles and lot lower and more sheltered in winter the differnence is stark. and yes the weather report is based on that town and in winter is well load of old tosh.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Happy with the weeks weather after getting soaked last week
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'm sorry guys, I checked the weather and took my mud guards off.

Apologies for the rain.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    No rain here at the moment just snow :)

Ice tyres at the ready 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    A balmy 2C here right now - might get away with the road bike...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    That was fun, bit hard to see at times and eventually had to remove my clear glasses as they were steaming up.

Hope there's enough settled for when I get home
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Brrrr this morning. Hands were effing painful.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Dry? Bloody sleet here in north Kent and -4. Being next to the Thames doesn't help either.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Bit of light snow/sleet in Farringdon at the moment. The clouds look heavy.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I've been trying to work out, if I prefer cold and dry to warm and wet.......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Sketchley wrote:
    Warm and wet every time. I hate the cold. I like being able to feel my hands and feet...
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Cold and dry every time. Can't stand it when its wet.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Sketchley wrote:

It depends if we're talking women here....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • meanredspider
    Today hasn't been as cold as forecast. That'll be because I had to drive in. Tomorrow, on the other hand...
  • meanredspider
    Sketchley wrote:

Windy & wild? :shock: :wink:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Sketchley wrote:

Windy & wild? :shock: :wink:

There's nowt so off-putting as fanny-farts....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    I could do without the wind. On both counts.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Sketchley wrote:

It's a "Thatcher or Nigella" kind of question isnt' it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Dry? Bloody sleet here in north Kent and -4
    At the same time? :shock: